• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How to let go of the fear?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I call out, too (said in a small voice because you seem to hate it so, @SallyCat ). And I've often had people call back "Thank you!" It honestly never occurred to me that anyone didn't like it. I figured it was a good way to avoid a collision.

And I get the whole food grief over the removal of chicken and waffles from the menu. (What on earth were they thinking?) My local postman said to me recently (about the Vail acquisition), a new broom sweeps clean. I just never imagined it'd sweep away the chicken and waffles.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To be fair, I have not experienced polite people giving me a friendly warning; it's been out-of-control meat rockets warning me to get out of their way. I think we're discussing a sort of apples-to-oranges pair of contexts. But you should disagree with me in a strong, confident voice! :thumbsup:

As long as nobody slanders Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints, I have very thick skin and a well-developed willingness to be proven wrong!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
?!!! No More Chicken and Waffles!! I'm writing a letter maybe letters!! BOO VAIL!!

@SallyCat you're lucky the crazies are giving any warning. A shame the good intention skiers aren't the ones calling out near you.

At Tremblant last week I 'heard' the skier coming when I turned around it was a meat missile totally out of control carreening towards me. I moved to center of trail to give wide berth.. He barely could stand (we were on black trail) he skidded by but I really thought I was a goner. Same at Sugar Bush Several (and they are always Men) flew by me with out a peep! I did yell a foul name a couple times at those that were beyond rude.. it got so scary we left the MT. Where's ski patrol to pull a pass when you need them?

The Zen is ruined w/out of control skiers anywhere. Having to have 'your owl' head on isn't fun skiing.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I defer to the majority! :hail:

The few times anyone has given a verbal warning to me, it was because they were basically out of control and unable to pass me without me staying in a tight, anxious holding pattern while they flailed past.

Nevertheless, I shall set aside my Manual Typewriter of Righteous Indignation and accept verbal alerts as a necessary intrusion into my ski zen.

I miss the zen, though. I mean, the Vail Corporation has brutally stricken the Chicken and Waffles entree from my favorite slopeside restaurant, so I'm dealing with a lot of food-related grief. An institution that could make a decision like that is capable of anything.

People talking to me while I ski....having to eat some b.s. salad instead of amazing food....these are dark days on the mountain.

Ahh I can relate to the Vail thing--the Mountain Collective has done the same thing here. Madness.

Jilly

Staff member
I like to let you know I'm there. With many people listening to tunes in their helmets, I want you to know that I'm there and not scare you. This will be necessary this coming week!!

emmthorpedo

Certified Ski Diva
Beginner so not a great deal of help. We are fortunate that we can ski in less crowded seasons so i totally agree with the above, I feel way more comfortable going faster when there are less people. I tend to avoid people who are not that experienced and clearly out of control and flying around on a crowded slope. Makes my nerves flutter.

newboots

Angel Diva
To be fair, I have not experienced polite people giving me a friendly warning; it's been out-of-control meat rockets warning me to get out of their way.

When I was even slower than I am now, I got those polite warnings. Of course, I got the meat-mouths too. But all of these were welcome. I’d rather have a warning than feel the whoosh and the I was almost toast feeling.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Because so many are now "plugged in" while skiing/riding, I'll use a loud voice to call out, "Passing on your right/left."
If/when I get buzzed by silently, I get louder:
"SKIER/RIDER! CALL YOUR PASS!!!"

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I miss the zen, though. I mean, the Vail Corporation has brutally stricken the Chicken and Waffles entree from my favorite slopeside restaurant, so I'm dealing with a lot of food-related grief. An institution that could make a decision like that is capable of.

How did you find that out?! As of Thursday epic had not opened yet. Do you have inside information on that place?

emmthorpedo

Certified Ski Diva
Because so many are now "plugged in" while skiing/riding, I'll use a loud voice to call out, "Passing on your right/left."
If/when I get buzzed by silently, I get louder:
"SKIER/RIDER! CALL YOUR PASS!!!"

Thats actually really helpful. Thanks. I will clear my vocal chords before i embark. Why not if it saves collisions. In golf since the ryder cup incident they are really emphazing the need to shout if in doubt

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Ski mostly Tahoe w/ Epic Pass and definitely see "speed police" around the mountain that will pull one's pass...... yeah we get yahoos here too but really loved skiing early season mid week last week. Picture this, I was the only skier on a very long run in an area at Northstar called Lookout Mtn ( a poma to get there so limits folks as rare in Tahoe).
Couldn't believe it..... just me cruising around on a super long run..... not another sole in sight.

emmthorpedo

Certified Ski Diva
I am finding also that close calls and small collisions happen at end of the day when people are tired. Speed police around pinch points where there is a lot of traffic would come in useful on the more crowded sloped. The boy racers should be penalised.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@QCskier - come up to Tremblant some time. SkiBam and I are both certified ski instructors and can help you with that. It's confidence really and guided skiing sure helps. I'm not comfortable in trees. A weekend out west at the women's camp at WB gave me some confidence with them. A return trip helped and then another with Lady_Salina guiding in the bumps and trees. It's still there in the back of my mind that that tree doesn't move. But I do have the knowledge/skills to go through the trees.

If anyone watches me starting a run, from anywhere, you will see a slight wedge to start. This is my stable position. I'll move whichever ski to parallel. It's something my mentor taught me and it has stuck.

Another one is do not stop at the top of pitch and stare it down. Never works!! Move!

I do this too, Jilly...I used to feel bad about starting a run in a wedge, but no more...it works especially well when I am forced to stop and start again on steeper terrain.

mustski

Angel Diva
Because it's not my job to stay out of your way if you're behind me. It's your job to pass me at a safe distance and in a reasonable manner; if you're doing that you don't need to alert me. Plus it's startling; do it to a novice skier and they are likely to turn their head to look and lose balance. And it often happens when stronger skiers are trying to speed through a novice area to get to the lift.

In fairness, the only time I call on your ______ side is with novice skiers/boarders. They are the ones who make sudden and unpredictable changes of direction and never look uphill first. I wouldn't even consider passing an unpredictable skier without letting them know my intention.

As long as nobody slanders Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints, I have very thick skin and a well-developed willingness to be proven wrong!

Never! Never! I stopped being Chargers fans when they traded my Drew!

emmthorpedo

Certified Ski Diva
In fairness, the only time I call on your ______ side is with novice skiers/boarders. They are the ones who make sudden and unpredictable changes of direction and never look uphill first. I wouldn't even consider passing an unpredictable skier without letting them know my intention.

Never! Never! I stopped being Chargers fans when they traded my Drew!

“Sudden and unpredictable changes of direction and never look uphill first”...Guilty as charged and fully expect to be berated by passers by in the name of safety.

mustski

Angel Diva
“Sudden and unpredictable changes of direction and never look uphill first”...Guilty as charged and fully expect to be berated by passers by in the name of safety.
This is expected of learning sliders. It is not berating when I call out my planned movement, it's for both of our safety. I never cut close to another skier; I am just letting the other person know that, for a brief second, I will be there. I always speak in a cheery, pleasant voice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna