• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

"How to Help Your Boyfriend Buy Skis"

newboots

Angel Diva
It was great fun, but Wendy could have done it better! I thought it would have been even funnier with a bit more nuance.

But I laughed!

Grizzla

Certified Ski Diva
:thumbsup: Great piece. Too close to home, sometimes. (Not just on skis either - try shopping for a motorbike!)

But seriously, people (apparently "girlfriends") are actually just bought skis by men who " shop" for them? Am I the only one missing out on a rich sugar daddy?! Or is it personal shopper?
Clearly I'm bitter; I had to select and pay for my own. Many times...

'Sides, why can't he just hire a pair until he's grown up enough to buy his own? I've got better things to spend my money on.
Now, where did I see that lovely pair of short, flowery pink skis?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:thumbsup: Great piece. Too close to home, sometimes. (Not just on skis either - try shopping for a motorbike!)

But seriously, people (apparently "girlfriends") are actually just bought skis by men who " shop" for them? Am I the only one missing out on a rich sugar daddy?! Or is it personal shopper?

'Sides, why can't he just hire a pair until he's grown up enough to buy his own? I've got better things to spend my money on.

To be fair - I've met a lot of men who really, truly want to share their enthusiasm for a sport with their girlfriend or wife. Their S.O. just isn't that interested. So the guys hope that if they get the equipment, she'll try it a few times and get enthused. Especially if the guy is the type to nerd out on equipment - maybe they think she'll operate the same way.

I'm sort of this way about DH and mountain biking. I encouraged him to buy a new bike a few years ago. He's really not that interested and was happy to ride an ancient bike with a hole in the frame (!) and a completely broken down rear shock. But we bought that new bike, a very nice carbon bike at a time when carbon frames were still fairly rare, maybe 6+ years ago, and I'd be surprised if he's ridden it 15 times since then. Occasionally he'll go out riding with me (and usually smoke me - grrr!), but he's just not that into it. Similarly, though he does love skiing, skis very well, and frequently (though he says if it weren't for me pushing to be in the mountains every weekend, he probably wouldn't go that often), I'm always the one who pushes him to get a new pair of skis, usually does the research, etc.

And on the flip side, he got his pilot's license and bought me a super high tech headset with high end noise canceling, bluetooth for music and all sorts of frills like that. I've flown with him twice. It made me nauseated both times. And he also bought me a super fancy noise canceling headset for the shooting range. And "my" handgun that fits my hand much better than his Glocks (it's an HK - I call it my Hello Kitty). I've been to the shooting range once. He was excited and was happy to load the magazines for me.

So, I dunno, I think it's pretty common for people to want to share their passions with their S.O., and to buy equipment to make it more enticing, or a better experience when they do try.

newboots

Angel Diva
My guy works in the repair shop at Okemo, and at times has young men bring in their skis while Dear GF waits in the wings. My beloved asks, "What about her skis?" He sends them off to get her skis, too, and gives them special attention.

He has even sometimes had these overgrown boys demand an extra-fast tune for themselves, and suggest de-tuning her skis, wink wink. He does not comply! He talks directly to the womean, and gives her the best tune for her ability and the conditions.

He's always one for the underdog.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Yep, my BF wasn't even with me when I bought my skis. I helped him with boot shopping for himself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly