• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How to get the best fit in a rental boot?

Mamabear3

Certified Ski Diva
Jilly,

Help me follow. Are you saying you go to see your bootfitter where he doesn’t sell boots, then buy boots somewhere else and bring them back to him to fit? How much adjustment can they make in a boot?

Mamabear3

Certified Ski Diva
Ski boots need to fit the shape of your foot to avoid giving you pain and to allow you to control your skis. Boots are the most important piece of equipment a skier uses. They attach solidly onto the skis. They should attach solidly onto your feet too. If they fit in all three dimensions, height, width, and length, they won't hurt, AND they will transmit your orders to the skis. Your foot is your steering wheel. No loose steering wheels!

All rental boots are wide. Some people have wide feet, but you don't. You may also have low volume feet, meaning your ankle is small in diameter, and maybe also the top of your foot is low. Having a low volume, narrow-ankle, narrow foot results in rental boots being too tall over your foot, too wide at the sides of your foot, and the lower cuff is going to be loose around your ankle (this leads to shin bang, a painful bruise at the top of your shin).

Even if you get the right length boot (the only factor they pay attention to at the rental counter), your narrow feet will be swimming in there. Plus, usually the rental shop will hand you a boot two sizes too long, for mysterious reasons I won't go into here. So length is often off in rental boots too. To check for good length, set your regular shoes next to the boots. They should be approximately the same length. Really. That means the boots will be difficult to put on. That's a good sign. Loose boots hurt more than tight boots, because some part of your foot moves and another part bangs into the stiff shell. Ouch.

Pain is only one problem with loose boots. Loss of control of skis is another (that loose steering wheel thing).

Boots are expensive for real reasons having to do with manufacturing, so many people rent. Some of them suffer pain. Many of them suffer loss of control and think it's their skill level when it's the boots. Rental shops have to buy new boots every two years or so, and they can't be picky about the sizes. They buy to fit the majority of skiers. This is a major issue in the ski industry. There is no obvious solution.

So what's a narrow-footed new skier working with budgetary restrictions to do? It's a quandary.

One option is to find a local ski shop that rents seasonal equipment, and that sells boots. Talk to them now about renting next season. Ask them if they can rent you a boot next season that actually fits your foot. Ask them if it's possible, if any of their rental boots are narrow enough to fit your foot (and low volume too if that's what your foot needs). If they say yes, ask how early you'll need to show up next fall to get the pick of the litter.

You'll need to talk to someone at the shop who knows what they are talking about. Who knows, the bootfitter may bring out a boot from the back that fits you well and give you a big discount ($300 or so would be a good discount). OR, the bootfitter will find a rental boot that's been returned that fits you, and sell that to you real cheap ($100). Good luck!

Mamabear3

Certified Ski Diva
That explains so much, thank you. My shin bang was at the very base of my shin. I wear my Birkenstock’s cranked down to the last holes on the ankle strap of my Birkenstock’s, and it doesn’t sound like a rental boot will ever be a safe bet. I did see that some of the local shops rent for a season, so I will definitely explore that angle as well. You’ve even got me thinking, I might be able to ski a little better in boots that fit right. You made my day!

Jilly

Staff member
That's correct @Mamabear3. My guy doesn't really sell boots. But he will tell you what boot to look at. And a choice too. I was down to 1 boot, but a friend got a choice of 2. He works out of his garage in the summer. In the winter he works out of a shop in Whistler. So he can sell you a boot there.

So I got my boots locally from our local ski shop on Barry's advice. He then (for a fee) fixed them for for me. I have wide, boxy toes. There is no boot out there that has that. But boots are plastic and it can be formed. He did one boot while I was out in WB 3 years ago. Did the other when he was back in the east. It's an interesting relationship, but it work's.

My suggestion for you is to look at what Liquidfeet is saying. But if you can visit a better than box store, try it. As mentioned the deals are on. Skiing ended early this year for everyone. Shops need to get rid of inventory. Anything is better than a rental boot.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Mamabear3 you ask what modifications a bootfitter can make.
1. For people in the know, boots should be fit to the smallest of one's feet. That means the larger foot is too cramped. The bootfitter can enlarge the plastic shell of that boot in specific spots (plastic is able to be ground out, or heated and moved outward) to match the larger foot's anatomy. For instance, my boots were too tight left-right across the toes. My bootfitter enlarged the toe box upward and left-rightward. No charge, since I bought the boots from him.
2. Some feet have odd shapes. The sometimes have a "sixth toe" (not really) that sticks out on the outside of the foot. A bootfitter can extend the plastic outward to make room for the sixth toe.
3. Bunions. Same fix. Punch or grind.
4. The plastic shell has ankle pockets molded into it. What if those ankle pockets are too high, or too low, or too far forward or back, for your foot? The bootfitter can move the foot upward if the pockets are too high by messing with the loose bootboard in the bottom. Or if the other issues are present, the plastic can be ground or punched to match the ankle bones.
5. Buckles can be moved out or in with the appropriate tools.
6. If the top of the clog (the part that encloses your foot, as opposed to the cuff) is too high, the bootfitter can raise the bootboard to lift the foot up.
7. If the boot has too much forward lean for the range of forward bending motion in your ankle, the bootfitter can make some adjustments inside the boot to help with that. Sometimes more work is needed on the outside, which will no longer be free as it involves a lot more labor.

None of these should cost money if you buy from a store with a real bootfitter, who has tools onsite to make the modifications. There are lots of things you can pay for to help your boots give you more contact with your feet, thus increasing your control over your skis. It can get quite expensive if you go full throttle for performance. Ask me how I know.

Mamabear3

Certified Ski Diva
Ok, so I’m starting to feel more confident I can work with a fitter to make this work. It also sounds like the sober I get out to a store the better. Dang Corona. Keys is making this interesting. Thanks again.
1. For people in the know, boots should be fit to the smallest of one's feet. That means the larger foot is too cramped. The bootfitter can enlarge the plastic shell of that boot in specific spots (plastic is able to be ground out, or heated and moved outward) to match the larger foot's anatomy. For instance, my boots were too tight left-right across the toes. My bootfitter enlarged the toe box upward and left-rightward. No charge, since I bought the boots from him.
2. Some feet have odd shapes. The sometimes have a "sixth toe" (not really) that sticks out on the outside of the foot. A bootfitter can extend the plastic outward to make room for the sixth toe.
4. The plastic shell has ankle pockets molded into it. What if those ankle pockets are too high, or too low, or too far forward or back, for your foot? The bootfitter can move the foot upward if the pockets are too high by messing with the loose bootboard in the bottom. Or if the other issues are present, the plastic can be ground or punched to match the ankle bones.
6. If the top of the clog (the part that encloses your foot, as opposed to the cuff) is too high, the bootfitter can raise the bootboard to lift the foot up.
7. If the boot has too much forward lean for the range of forward bending motion in your ankle, the bootfitter can make some adjustments inside the boot to help with that. Sometimes more work is needed on the outside, which will no longer be free as it involves a lot more labor.

None of these should cost money if you buy from a store with a real bootfitter, who has tools onsite to make the modifications. There are lots of things you can pay for to help your boots give you more contact with your feet, thus increasing your control over your skis. It can get quite expensive if you go full throttle for performance. Ask me how I know.

Mamabear3

Certified Ski Diva
Ok, so I’m starting to feel more confident I can work with a fitter to make this work. It also sounds like the sober I get out to a store the better. Dang Corona. Keys is making this interesting. Thanks again.

How expensive can boots get and how on earth did you find out?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How expensive can boots get and how on earth did you find out?

After six pairs of boots, all of which did not fit my feet, I finally found a wonderful bootfitter who was willing to work with my feet and get me a boot that fit. I did get a discount, but the boot was very expensive, and I spared no expense to get anything extra that could help me FINALLY get a performance fit. Got it!

I spent more $$ on all those ill-fitting boots than I did on this pair. It was not me being clueless - it was bootfitters putting me in the wrong boots. I'm an "old lady" and they profiled me. I had no way of knowing that was happening, due to inexperience with boots that fit.

I never added it up. But it was four figures once all was included.

newboots

Angel Diva
At our shop a customer (friend of mine) came in and told our bootfitter what she could afford. She said $500-700, I think. She got her boots for $400, possibly marked down because she was a friend, or maybe the boots were all marked down. (The pricing in that department is never what's on the tag.)

So it's possible to get a boot for less. Maybe not with your foot; I don't know enough to say.

mustski

Angel Diva
Not all bootfitters include adjustments. Mine sells the boots at a reasonable price, fitting is included but I pay a fee for all modifications - including heel lifts and canting in the initial fit. My previous fitter never discounted the boots but all modifications were free for 12 months. I know some that will discount boots at the end of the season and include initial fitting and modifications, but charge for all future modifications. Ask up front, what the store policy is.

Mamabear3

Certified Ski Diva
After six pairs of boots, all of which did not fit my feet, I finally found a wonderful bootfitter who was willing to work with my feet and get me a boot that fit. I did get a discount, but the boot was very expensive, and I spared no expense to get anything extra that could help me FINALLY get a performance fit. Got it!

I spent more $$ on all those ill-fitting boots than I did on this pair. It was not me being clueless - it was bootfitters putting me in the wrong boots. I'm an "old lady" and they profiled me. I had no way of knowing that was happening, due to inexperience with boots that fit.

I never added it up. But it was four figures once all was included.

Mamabear3

Certified Ski Diva
Liquidfeet, thank you so much for sharing your experience. I can relate on many levels. I don’t know what boots should feel like and on top of that I barely know how to ski. Knowing what you know now, what should I look for in terms of fit? I have narrow (as in I wear shoes marked narrow), skinny, bony, flat feet with long toes and athletic calves from running. Also, what should I say to avoid getting a performance fit. Remember, my standards are low...keep all my toenails, a kid shin bang, and no tears when I walk back to the lodge at the end of the day. Walking always hurts me more than skiing, the challenge is I don’t usually hurt until the end of the first day and by that time it’s too late. My shins were already bruised on day one this trip, I continued to ski in boots that were too big on day two and swapped for a smaller size on day 3. The smaller boots were more comfortable, but it still hurt pretty bad due to the bruising. I welcome all your input, and I’m so sorry you had to go through all that to find a pair of boots that fit. I look forward to your response.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Most of us, if we were honest, could tell you stories about ill-fitting boots. I absolutely agree with the people who recommend a reputable boot fitter. I ski in a really high end boot because I like stiff boots. Mine cost over $700 a couple of years ago. I think that $500 is a reasonable number, but you should be prepared to spend another $100 for custom insoles.

"Can't afford" is relative. As with Liquidfeet, if you are spending your money for ill-fitting boots or rental boots until you can find something you can afford, you are wasting your money anyway. Your health, comfort and great skiing so worth it to be in boots that fit.

There are so many ways we can afford the things we want. My friend who smokes spends $25+ a week on cigarettes. Another friend spends $5.00 per day on coffee from the local shop. I drink an adult beverage at home, but refuse to spend $7.50 for a beer in a bar.

We have a saying, buy your second kayak/bike first. A friend spent $500 for a Dick's mountain bike before she bought a $4000 bike the next year. Another friend spent $350 for a Dick's kayak before she discovered she needed a better boat for $750.

It sounds to me like you are at the point where you realize need a better boot. Good luck, and I hope you can find a great deal on the proper fitting boot.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....Also, what should I say to avoid getting a performance fit. Remember, my standards are low...keep all my toenails, a kid shin bang, and no tears when I walk back to the lodge at the end of the day. Walking always hurts me more than skiing, the challenge is I don’t usually hurt until the end of the first day and by that time it’s too late. My shins were already bruised on day one this trip, ....
I'll post more info later. Your foot sounds like my foot.

A performance fit does NOT hurt. A too-big fit does. A too-big fit can easily be called a "comfort fit." It's counter-intuitive.

Here's why. The less your foot moves inside the boot, the less it bangs against the hard shell. Thus, performance fit = no pain. However, it is hard to get your foot into the boot when it's a performance fit.

I have all the bells and whistles, thus the cost. I just decided to hold my breath and do it once I found the right guy to do the fitting. That in itself is a big problem -- finding someone who you can trust.

Others can talk about this as well.... Everyone's experience is different.

Mamabear3

Certified Ski Diva
Liquidfeet, I misunderstood your earlier post. Now I see that you are looking for a performance fit and I understand why. Since we are all staying home and everything ...I’ve measured my feet and feel confident I need a skinny fit because I wear narrow shoes and the width of my foot is 90mm. The most comfortable boot I wore last trip was 24.5 and it matches my shoe size and measurement. There are two bootfitters in Dallas the one at sun and ski suggested I buy either the Solomon s/max 70 or Rossingol Womens Pure Elite 70 online to lock in the price and bring them in to check fit once it is safe to do so and at that point I could exchange for something else if necessary. He said the Rossingol was more forgiving and the Salomon s/max 70 was a tighter fit but more customizable. Both good boots and currently on sale in my size. They are also the top recommended boots for narrow feet. What do y’all think about this option and which boot would you try first?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Mamabear3, you might consider buying a boot with a stiffer flex. 70 is very very soft. It's made for beginners, and is expected to be replaced as beginners move up the skill ladder towards intermediatehood. The stiffness is to give you support in the fore-aft plane, and to help you put pressure on the front of the ski where it needs to be. A 70 flex will give way on you once you start speeding up on blue groomers.

Unless you weigh 100 lbs. Are you that light?

Last edited:

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve measured my feet and feel confident I need a skinny fit because I wear narrow shoes and the width of my foot is 90mm. The most comfortable boot I wore last trip was 24.5 and it matches my shoe size and measurement. There are two bootfitters in Dallas the one at sun and ski suggested I buy either the Solomon s/max 70 or Rossingol Womens Pure Elite 70 online to lock in the price and bring them in to check fit once it is safe to do so and at that point I could exchange for something else if necessary. He said the Rossingol was more forgiving and the Salomon s/max 70 was a tighter fit but more customizable. Both good boots and currently on sale in my size. They are also the top recommended boots for narrow feet. What do y’all think about this option and which boot would you try first?

Mamabear3, have you read the Gearipedia post about boot fitting? "Why you, yes you, need a boot fitting." Read it again.

When your shop says the boots are customizable, what do they mean? Canting? Making the buckles bigger? Cuff and calf adjuster? That's not what we talk about when we say boot fitting.

Another question. Sun and Ski says that your can exchange the boots, what if they don't carry the brand that is best for you or cannot find the proper fit? Will they refund a boot?

What do they mean that they are "recommended"? That's marketing, not boot fitting. I can't wear Tecnica boots because of the ankle padding. Salomon boots are too soft for me, but they are "recommended." Everyone has different feet and different fitting experiences. Do you have bunions or a high arch?

Let me tell you about my boot fitting experience. My boot fitter has years of experience as a boot fitter. He's not a salesman, he's a boot fitter. He looked at my feet, not just length and width, but the arch, the ankle flex, supination, pronation, everything. He measured. From his boot fitting experience, he picked out four boots. He took out the liners and looked at the room I had behind my heel. Liners back in, I put them on. One was too soft, I could flex it and the plastic bent into the top of my foot. One just didn't feel good on my ankle bones.

That left me with 2 pairs. They both felt pretty good. I wore one on my right foot and one on my left. Pretty soon, one of my feet went to sleep. I tried another boot brand. I wore it around the store flexing into it. The toe box was too tight. He took it back into the workshop and heated the shell to make it bigger. I needed a little canting. He adjusted the cuff so I wasn't knock kneed. I took on a device that looked at my alignment. He fixed that issue. My little toe was cramped. He took the boot back into the shop and heated it, adding some room for my little toe in the shell. Not enough. Back to the shop and blew it out a little more. Not bad. I needed some heel padding in one place. He took the boot into the back room and added some padding. I had some heel lift (means my heel came up a bit off the footbed). He added a tiny foot bed. That was just with one boot of one brand. All in all, it took 3 hours.

I finally settled on the Langes, although the K2 Spire was a close second. I got a new custom foot bed. With a little more tweaking, I left the store. The next day of skiing, I noted a little more customization was needed to relieve a hot spot. I took the boots back for another tweak. The next ski day, they were good, but a little pressure point on the heel. Back to the shop again, and now they are perfect.

I'm an easy fit. Most aren't so lucky.

Please don't buy boots online. I suggest you wait until you're planning your next ski trip to a big mountain. Ask us for a recommendation for a near by boot fitter. Make an appointment for your first day. Get properly fitted.

You will thank us for this.

Mamabear3

Certified Ski Diva
@Mamabear3, you might consider buying a boot with a stiffer flex. 70 is very very soft. It's made for beginners, and is expected to be replaced as beginners move up the skill ladder towards intermediatehood. The stiffness is to give you support in the fore-aft plane, and to help you put pressure on the front of the ski where it needs to be. A 70 flex will give way on you once you start speeding up on blue groomers.

Unless you weigh 100 lbs. Are you that light?
One quick fix for shin bang if you're going to be stuck in rental boots: Take a silicone/foam can koozie, cut it in half, and stick one half in each of your socks before you put on your boots. It should sit from the front of your ankle to a few inches up your shin.

It's no substitute for a boot that fits correctly, but it can help prevent bruising, and has saved many ski days for me. You want to do this on the first day; don't wait until you're already hurting.
good advice, I tried shin pads on day 3 and they didn’t help at all. A Ye if I tried it sooner.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly