• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How to enjoy powder day more

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
While everyone is going nuts for skiing on powder days, I often find myself have a love and hate feelings for them, and often very exhausted after skiing on a powder day. Partially due to the stress of poor visibility and cold/wet when it was actively snowing, but mostly because of the unfamiliar feeling of the soft and deep snow and my non powder skis. My legs are getting tired much sooner when going down the same blue trails when it has got more than 6 inches of fresh powder and I am scared of going on black runs(I am scared of fall in the powder). I also find myself constantly trying to slow down which wore my legs up quickly. If I can't afford to buy a pair of skis just for the occasional powder days, what else can I do to improve my powder skills/confidence so that I get to enjoy the fun of skiing in powder instead of too much fear? Thanks!

Louisianagirl

Certified Ski Diva
While everyone is going nuts for skiing on powder days, I often find myself have a love and hate feelings for them, and often very exhausted after skiing on a powder day. Partially due to the stress of poor visibility and cold/wet when it was actively snowing, but mostly because of the unfamiliar feeling of the soft and deep snow and my non powder skis. My legs are getting tired much sooner when going down the same blue trails when it has got more than 6 inches of fresh powder and I am scared of going on black runs(I am scared of fall in the powder). I also find myself constantly trying to slow down which wore my legs up quickly. If I can't afford to buy a pair of skis just for the occasional powder days, what else can I do to improve my powder skills/confidence so that I get to enjoy the fun of skiing in powder instead of too much fear? Thanks!
Have you thought about renting a wider ski on those days? Also, you may get very different advice from one of the amazing instructors on this site, but if you are someone who is used to slightly lifting your inside ski during your turn transition, you may save some energy by rolling your skis from edge-to-edge in powder. Balance is another important factor in preserving your legs….if you’re too far in “the back seat” that will fry your legs quickly. I know I tend to lean up will when my confidence wavers in more challenging conditions.

shadoj

Angel Diva
@Mudgirl630 posted a helpful technique video in another powder thread; hope you find it useful:

marzNC

Angel Diva
My legs are getting tired much sooner when going down the same blue trails when it has got more than 6 inches of fresh powder and I am scared of going on black runs(I am scared of fall in the powder). I also find myself constantly trying to slow down which wore my legs up quickly.
Keep in mind that the trail ratings are relative. A blue is easier than a black . . . for a given mountain AND snow conditions. I ski blacks and even a few double-blacks confidently in powder out west but mostly skied blue terrain the few years I had another reason to be in the northeast during ski season. Blacks with icy northeast "snow" are not for me.

When you are learning to deal with powder, stick with the blues and don't feel bad about the idea. Note that a green with 6 inches of fresh snow is unlikely to exist and might not be a good idea because there isn't enough pitch to keep moving.

At Alta there are only green, blue, and black trail ratings. However an ungroomed black with two feet of fresh snow obviously is very different than the same terrain when it hasn't snow for a week. Neighboring Snowbird has black, double-black, and triple-black terrain. Even so, a steep black groomer at Snowbird requires different technique than a black tree run or black in an open bowl after a snowstorm.

A story from Alta a dozen years ago when I was an adventurous intermediate:

I was with schoolmates who were advanced/expert skiers during an Alta Lodge alumni gathering in April. Had missed the intermediate group because I was taking my tween daughter over to ski school. My schoolmates said they would do a warm up run on a groomer with me. But when we got to the top of the Collins lift, they realized the Ballroom rope drop had just happened. That meant fresh tracks. I knew just enough to be willing to head out the traverse since I was with them and had rented somewhat wider skis that day. But when I was about to drop in where the terrain is "blue" my classmate shouted that I had to keep going farther out. The pitch in the blue terrain wasn't steep enough for how deep the snow was that day. Of course, she was right. After I managed to get down with a couple of stops but no falls I went off to ski groomers. Or at least fresh powder on top of a groomed surface only a few inches below.

To start getting a sense of how different 4-6 inches of ungroomed snow feels, look for places that you can just go straight for a bit and then plan on making one good turn that gets you pointed back uphill to slow down and come to a stop. Then repeat. If there is powder on the side of a groomer, that can be a place to start.

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
Have you thought about renting a wider ski on those days? Also, you may get very different advice from one of the amazing instructors on this site, but if you are someone who is used to slightly lifting your inside ski during your turn transition, you may save some energy by rolling your skis from edge-to-edge in powder. Balance is another important factor in preserving your legs….if you’re too far in “the back seat” that will fry your legs quickly. I know I tend to lean up will when my confidence wavers in more challenging conditions.
Great idea of renting a powder ski next time. Is this only available at special rental shops? I will definitely look into demo options. And yes, I was told by others that I am too far in "the back seat". I think improving that would be my top priority and I can practice it on non-powder days too! Thanks!

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
To start getting a sense of how different 4-6 inches of ungroomed snow feels, look for places that you can just go straight for a bit and then plan on making one good turn that gets you pointed back uphill to slow down and come to a stop. Then repeat. If there is powder on the side of a groomer, that can be a place to start.
That's a great tip! I found that I had more fun with powder skiing when I can go straight. Will keep a note for trails with such conditions and repeat!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Great idea of renting a powder ski next time. Is this only available at special rental shops? I will definitely look into demo options. And yes, I was told by others that I am too far in "the back seat". I think improving that would be my top priority and I can practice it on non-powder days too! Thanks!
The definition of a "powder ski" isn't hard and fast. In general, starts with wider skis but there are other characteristics as well. Any ski shop that rents demo skis near a mountain that gets powder storms will have skis that are easy to handle in 6+ inches of fresh ungroomed snow. Destination resorts in ski country always have a range of types of rental skis.

For me as a petite skier, skis that were 85-90mm were powder skis for me at Alta when I was an adventurous intermediate. When I became a solid advanced skier and had more deep powder experience, I would rent demo skis that were as wide as 110 underfoot. There was one super deep storm on April 15 one spring break trip when I changed from 107mm to 117mm (different brands) at lunch time after 26 inches fell overnight and it kept snowing the next day. Now that I have better powder technique, I'm happy to use my all-mountain skis that are 85mm in deep snow as long as it's dry and fluffy. That said, for over 10 inches I prefer to have powder skis that are about 100mm underfoot.

My Alta instructor doesn't want to do a powder lesson for people on skis wider than about 100mm. That's just as true for my tall male friend as it is for me.

If you want to learn more about ski design, check out these videos. Warning: might be more than you want to hear right now. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna