• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How to describe the pain of learning to ski in the middle grades?

KBee

Angel Diva
I think for the majority of kids between the ages of 5 and 12, learning to ski for the first time is a difficult, unpleasant experience. Am I wrong here? I know it was for me ("This is the WORST DAY of my LIFE!!!" It kind of was.), my kid, my brother, my sister--and we were all pretty low maintenance, low whining kids. Of course, it was worth it for all of us times a million. And, that worst day became my best day.

Now I have a friend who hasn't skied much, and who is a high-stakes family ski trip in mind so his kids can learn to ski, and I think he imagines that it will be like going sledding for a week, but cooler. I'm cautioning him that it's really hard and may not be a fun vacation at all. I'm letting him know that it's difficult for kids, and a remarkable hassle that they're going to have to work through for a while (likely the whole trip) to get the payoff. He's going to need every ounce of patience--even if he's not going to ski himself. Any words of wisdom here, or am I just being a Debbie Downer?

Christy

Angel Diva
I had one of those miserable days once at that age and I didn't ski again until age 37. My dad took us up but didn't provide any instruction, with predictable results. I don't have kids but if I've learned anything on message boards, it's that you need to put the kids in ski school. They make sure it is fun. Hot chocolate is involved. Plus then parents can do their own thing. I'm sure they if I'd had that it would have been a different story. Anyway, so maybe try to emphasize the importance of ski school rather than teaching your kids yourself, if they're asking for advice.

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a ski instructor, ages 5 to 12 is actually my absolute favorite age to teach! Under 5 and they lack the muscle control and get tired really easily, over 12 and they are in that awkward middle school age when they are super self conscious and generally rebellious.
If at all possible recommend a day at a local ski area beforehand as a bit of a dry run (but don't expect them to actually know how to ski after one lesson) and then absolutely put them into ski school for at least the morning each day. Too many benefits to list.

To you I ask, if not now, when???

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would disagree. Mine were in around 1st and 4th grade when they first went skiing, and they both had fun. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have become skiers. Also, if so many kids in the "middle grades" are miserable when they first try it, why so many grade 4 +5 ski passports? That is also the general age that many of the local schools would do a ski field trip when I lived in Ontario. Most of those kids had never skied before but seemed to be having fun. I think it is easier to learn as a kid than as an adult.

But whatever the age, always best to start with lessons.

Jilly

Staff member
I was 5 when I started. We had a family friend that got the family into it. Barrie Ontario, Snow Valley. Don't remember much, but going down on the back of the skis. No lessons, just "Uncle Bob" saying do this of that. Parents decided that this might be the winter sport. Girls didn't play hockey back then, and my parents weren't too interested in the figure skating thing. So we took up skiing.

If they are planning a ski week, then they should be able to get a week lesson program. That depends on the resort and/or accommodation etc.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also started when I was 4-5, Dad helped build the Mt and was first ski patrol.. We had a rope tow and T-bar.. the rope tow. OMG why didn't we let go? we'd get dragged up the slope laughing our heads off, gloves getting trashed on the rope. We were so little the T-bar was a chair lift at the half way! But we had a blast, all of us except a few are still skiing at my home Mt! (and we still think we're kids)

As for learning/teaching, age 5+ usually are great students, they know patience, have muscle control and are generally adventurous. They have way less fear than we adults! The only kids that I see (as an instructor) not liking skiing usually have the parents standing 'right there" observing (Please go up on the deck to watch your child) Kid's need space, interact well with others in group lessons and learn to ski a lot quicker than many adults!

Definitely suggest they enroll the kids in multi-day lessons (1/2 day so they can show off what they've learned in the afternoon) it's fun to meet new friends on vacation, who knows where that will lead? Ski buds for life? I hope they have a great time and make fabulous ski memories.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I learned to ski in middle school long ago. Fair to say I loved it from Day 1, even though it meant hiking up a short hill every run on straight skis. There were a couple teachers around who gave me tips on how to snowplow to turn and stop. I had a ball.

But what's probably more relevant is that North Country School in Lake Placid is still getting kids ages 10-13 on skis (or snowboard) for the first time every winter. NCS is a small boarding school for Grades 4-9. Most of the students who are beginners start in Grades 6-7. NCS has teachers who are also ski/board instructors. However, the beginners usually start with lessons at Whiteface because there is easier beginner terrain with a chairlift. The entire school goes to Whiteface on Tuesday afternoons for 6-8 weeks in Jan-Feb. NCS has a private hill with a rope tow that's great for intermediates and advanced. There are two sections to the rope tow. The trees are off the upper tow.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My experience for kids ages 5-8 is that full-day ski school is the best way to get started. That's based mostly on girls who were friends of my daughter or kids of my friends in recent years. For a long weekend, a combination of ski school with a free skiing on a day or day with adults who are at least intermediates can work well. When taking my daughter and her friends, ages 4-8, for free skiing days, we would arrive super early, ski 9:00-11:00 with a break or two, take a long lunch (usually staying on resort), then return for more skiing around 3:00. Our home mountain has lights on all slopes, so could ski for 2-3 hours. The kids liked skiing under the lights.

Now I have a friend who hasn't skied much, and who is a high-stakes family ski trip in mind so his kids can learn to ski, and I think he imagines that it will be like going sledding for a week, but cooler. I'm cautioning him that it's really hard and may not be a fun vacation at all. I'm letting him know that it's difficult for kids, and a remarkable hassle that they're going to have to work through for a while (likely the whole trip) to get the payoff. He's going to need every ounce of patience--even if he's not going to ski himself. Any words of wisdom here, or am I just being a Debbie Downer?
Agree that skiing parents need to be prepared to make the ski trip about the kids, not about their own skiing. Obviously can get in some adult skiing when kids are in ski school, but even then it's better to be flexible if there is a need to go back to ski school for a pep talk or a second pair of gloves or whatever. Definitely should listen to the guidance about not hovering when dropping off or getting in the way during a lesson. Do take the time to talk with the instructor afterwards. Get one or two things to watch for.

I always have a tip ready for a kid's instructor. Usually a range so the actual amount depends on what the instructor says and my impression of how much the kid like the lesson.

How did your friend learn to ski? Is the trip to a ski resort that's familiar? Or some place completely new? Flying or driving?

marzNC

Angel Diva
New, from what I can tell. Hasn't skied in a while. Driving.
Wonder if setting an example for the kids and having the adults do a lesson is a possibility? If I had known what I know now, I would've taken an intermediate group lesson at least a few times when my daughter was in full day ski school (ages 4-6) as a beginner.

Always best to check out a trail before taking a beginner. Conditions change. If can't, then perhaps ask about trail status from an instructor, a ski school supervisor, or a mountain host if they exist.

Biggest no no . . . an adult trying to ski with their kid in between their legs. Don't think holding an arm is a good idea either.

Useful to learn . . . how to ski backwards, like instructors of beginners do fairly often. I didn't manage that but did get better at 180 turns to a stop for a quick look. With a 4-5yo, they make more turns following an adult. The only problem is that if they fall, then have to hike up to help if they haven't learned how to get up yet. That's something it's much better for instructors to teach the kids. Parents can ask for advice if they don't know what is being taught.

marzNC

Angel Diva
He's going to need every ounce of patience--even if he's not going to ski himself.
Is it likely that he won't ski? At Massanutten there are many kids on holiday weekends who do ski school without any adults in their family/group who ski. Becomes an issue after ski school is done. The beginner kids who "get it" quickly want to ski more. But they don't have anyone to help them with the lift or help decide what trail to take or when to go in. I thinking about kids ages 8-10, not 11+. Note that Mnut is a small hill (70 acres, all groomed), so tweens skiing with friends can ski alone by age 8 if they are intermediates without an issues.

For younger kids with no skiing adults, they don't ski after ski school is over, even if they are intermediates. Except perhaps a run or two to show off on the magic carpet where the adults can watch. Means the kids don't get any free skiing at all. Still have fun but I think those who get to ski at least a run or two after ski school get a sense of how fun skiing can be a bit sooner.

newboots

Angel Diva
Day trip - excellent plan! Add lessons and it will be perfect.

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
My dad first put me on skis when I was 3-4 where it was just riding a magic carpet and sliding a relatively flat pathway. I’m sure as a kid I had meltdowns as kids do when tired. However as far as I can remember I’ve always loved skiing. In fact I think some of my meltdowns were about leaving earlier than I wanted to.

Also my dad always said he thought my brother and I progressed faster than adults who try skiing for the first time. I think skiing is like gymnastics that it’s easier to start the kid when they’re still fearless. Once kids start developing fear the biggest hurdle in advancing seems more mental — especially when faced with a steeper slopes.

altagirl

Staff member
My first day was with an after school program in elementary school in Michigan and I took to it instantly. I don't remember anything uncomfortable or unpleasant at all and remember thinking it was the most fun ever the moment I was on skis. I guess though, that I spent all my free time out ice skating so I was used to freezing and sliding around and hard crashes. And I actually got lessons in skiing, so it seemed pretty easy compared to my hopeless attempts to figure out jumps and spins on ice skates on my own. Hahaha.

Anyway, I think I'd say it's likely dependent on what you're used to?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Kids who are good at ice skating, either on figure skates or playing ice hockey, usually pick up skiing very quickly. True for adults too.

I figured my daughter would like skiing based on the other activities she already liked. What I wasn't sure about was how she would handle cold weather. Ended up overdressing her the first day (age 4). She was fussy at ski school that first morning, but had great fun after some clothing adjustments. I learned quickly that having 2-3 pairs of gloves was a must. A pair for skiing and 1-2 for playing in the snow, which was a novelty since we live in the southeast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna