• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

how to choose ski poles?

GeoGirl

Certified Ski Diva
Hi ladies,
I can find overwhelming numbers of articles about how to buy skis and ski boots - but how about poles? There's enough choice out there to baffles me, but little guidance...
Last season I used my adjustable trekking poles, but they were a bit heavy. Now I'm looking at the labor day sales at some big stores for actual ski poles. Should I just buy based on length and price? Any advice, or favorites for a gal on a budget?

Jilly

Staff member
Some people will tell you poles are poles, don't sweat it. But as you've found your adjustables are heavy. So figure out what you're looking for.
1. Weight - carbon fibre and airplane aluminum are light and sturdy
2. Grip - size and comfort, plastic, cork, rubber covered?
3. Strap - regular or trigger like the Leki?
4. Basket - powder, race etc
5. Length - that's you know from existing poles.

That's some thoughts.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love my composite poles by Royal Shaft. I think the only place you can get them now is Level Nine, and not as many colour ways as they used to have. They are inexpensive, durable, and I like the velcro wrist strap- it stays open so you can get your mitten through the loop easily. Mine came with both powder and regular baskets. You can get replacement baskets from Goode that fit. And the composite poles are easy to trim to a shorter length with a dremel if you decide later on that you want to go shorter (like I did).

Jilly

Staff member
And there are those cool Bamboo ones too.....someone help with the name please....

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also Soul Poles.

I have Leki Composite 16S with Trigger S technology (translation: click-in straps). I really hate having to deal with pole straps, and I find these really easy to latch on and off.
I know you have them, I’ve seen them on you, but I have no idea how they work with different brands of gloves or mittens. Do you have a two second explanation? I know you love them!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I know you have them, I’ve seen them on you, but I have no idea how they work with different brands of gloves or mittens. Do you have a two second explanation? I know you love them!

I'll try. The poles come with adjustable straps that you wear over your gloves/mittens. On the part of the strap that runs between your thumb and the rest of your fingers, there's a little plastic loop. When you want to click in to your poles, you simply insert the loop into a notch in the pole handle and press down. To release, you push a button on the top of the handle. The straps stay on your gloves all the time, and you can transfer them from one pair of gloves to another, whenever you want.

This video might help:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll try. The poles come with adjustable straps that you wear over your gloves/mittens. On the part of the strap that runs between your thumb and the rest of your fingers, there's a little plastic loop. When you want to click in to your poles, you simply insert the loop into a notch in the pole handle and press down. To release, you push a button on the top of the handle. The straps stay on your gloves all the time, and you can transfer them from one pair of gloves to another, whenever you want.

This video might help:

Thank you! The one thing I had seen didn't manage to show the extra strap. I don't like the regular straps either, but partly so I don't get caught and jam my already arthritic fingers. I just carry the poles unless I'm in deeper snow.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't wear my straps either. The only time I use my straps is in the ski racks.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
And there are those cool Bamboo ones too.....someone help with the name please....
Grass sticks! I have them and you can customize grips and baskets (colors, size and material). After skiing 44 inch poles for the last several decades, I downsized to 41 1/2" poles.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What is the weight of the Grass Sticks? I am spoiled by lightweight fiberglass poles. I had Royal Shaft for a while, now I have Goode. When I let someone try mine to compare weight, I am so glad to get mine back. They are so light.

marzNC

Angel Diva
What is the weight of the Grass Sticks? I am spoiled by lightweight fiberglass poles. I had Royal Shaft for a while, now I have Goode. When I let someone try mine to compare weight, I am so glad to get mine back. They are so light.
The bamboo poles I've checked out at ski shops and the Boston Ski Expo are quite light. What the reps like to demonstrate is how much they can bend without breaking.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hope to see them in Boston at the Expo.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I hope to see them in Boston at the Expo.
Grass Sticks has been there the last two years. They give a discount for orders placed at the Expo.

There is likely to be a Diva meetup or two at the Expo. Look for the Meet On The Hill thread for the dates/times.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The bummer about the Leki pole straps is you have to switch the strap when you switch gloves and if you loose a glove you loose the strap too......

I have always hated ski poles. As I kid I lived to ski w/o them and when I got back into skiing (after snowboarding for years) I skied w/o them. This past season I cut my poles down by 4" (if I'm remembering correctly) and I like skiing with poles so much more! Don't shy away from a pole that is labeled "too short" for you.

GeoGirl

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for all the input! I think I'll skip the sale then, and rent some different lengths at the beginning of the season to see what works best. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna