• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: How to Approach a Personal Demo Day

mustski

Angel Diva
Yep! Skiing Sunday and Monday to get a lay of the land and going to take Tuesday and try out some stuff. The mountain is pricey but convenient.
look at the main lodge area. We will be eating lunch either at McCoys or at Main that day so you will want to park over there also.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
UPDATE: DEMO DAY!

I feel like I’ve told this story a lot at Diva West but I said I would give an update so buckle in for a story. My first 2 days at Diva West were gorgeous Blue Bird Days with Sunday being my first ski day. I had the privilege to ski with @skibum4ever that Sunday and she gave me a great tour of the mountain. We spent the whole day on blue trails of varying difficulty, some made me nervous and some were just plain fun! At the end of the day she said I am better skier than I let on :becky:! Monday @socalgal was patient enough to ski with me when I decided to try the Cheyennes again which I update here. Long story short, the length (170cm) surprisingly didn’t bother me but I felt afraid of them and took them off quickly. And since I’m giving shoot outs, thanks to @Quiver Queen, @mustski, and @Jenny for skiing with me that afternoon! Skiing with better skiers pushed me to becoming a blue trail skier during Diva West:cool:!

Tuesday was Demo Day! I left my rental skis (160cm) at home to prevent myself from jumping back on something safe and comforting. It was snowing off and on all day that Tuesday so the conditions kept changing. Since the 170 cm Cheyennes didn’t bother me the day before, I decided to just try skis from 165-170cm. Went to the demo shop and asked for the Head Absolute Joy but the longest they had was in 153cm. Asked for the Yumi, the longest they had was 161cm. They had the Atomic Vantage 85 in 165cm so I took those out first. I made sure to take all of the skis on a green trail first, then a blue if I liked it. While the tech was preparing the next ski I would jot down notes on the previous ski on my phone’s notepad app.

1. Atomic Vantage 85 165 cm: Notes- “planky, heavy, stable, felt like it wanted to go fast, felt like work, took in after 1 run” - I wanted these off my feet immediately! I felt like the ski was so heavy that I couldn’t lighten the uphill leg and every turn was a fight. Wasn’t a good start to a demo day.

2. Nordica Astral 84 165 cm: Notes- “fun, confidence inducing, compliant, quad burn? Did well in uneven terrain. Winner so far. 3 runs- 2 greens, 1 blue” - This ski was a relief after the Vantage. I had felt like this demo day might’ve been a mistake and that advance skis were just beyond me. The ski was fun but the quad burn worried me. I never felt that on a ski before and wondered why it was happening.

3. Armada Victa 83
167cm: Notes- “fun, fun, fun! Confidence inducing, complaint, good on uneven terrain. It said “ I’ll worry about the terrain you worry about the technique, I gotchu girl!!” Got vertigo at one point it was still there for me. 3 runs- 1 green, 2 blues” - Loved this ski! Complaint like the Astral (as in it obeyed my wishes good or bad) but no quad burn. I did things on this ski that I’ve never done before. I felt like it spoke to me. “Hey, you know what would be fun? Short zippy turns!” “Hey, you know what would be fun?” Wide sweeping turns!” It’s like that friend that talks you into something you may regret (like going to the local Biker’s Night) but by the end of the night you had a good time and an even better story.

Went to lunch

4. K2 Ooolaluv 85ti 170cm: Notes - “Uh oh! I don’t want to like another ski! I’ve made my choice! Easier to ski than the Victa. Easiest. Stable but kind of boring? 2 runs.” - Technically this was the ski tech’s choice because I had a different K2 in mind. I thought about this ski a lot once I got off it. I remembered my stomach dropping skiing it because I liked it immediately but didn’t want to:loco:. I felt it was better than the Victa in some ways but there was something about it. I eventually figured it out. It was the Victa’s opposite. Just as compliant to my wishes but where the Victa was the friend that talked me into taking risks, the Ooolaluv was the sympathetic friend that had your back no matter what. No matter what my decision. You want to cruise? Cool. You want to go faster? Cool, let’s go. You want to make wide turns? Cool, let’s do that. It didn’t push me, but it let me make the choice and was right there.

5. Salomon Myriad 85 169cm: Notes- “work for your turns. It is the reason I start on green runs! Feels a lot like the Vantage 85. 1 run only.” - This was another dealer's choice. I asked the shop if they had any suggestions and he handed me this. Uhhh. no.

6. Santa Ana 93 169 cm: Notes- “Eh. Not good or bad. 1 run. Just no fun factor.” - This was the widest ski I ever been on to this point. It just felt like a ski. I could turn it and get down fine but it wasn’t “fun”.

7. Armada Tracer 98 164cm: Notes- “Fun for tree skiing. Didn’t make the kind of turns I liked, felt sluggish but busted over gross stuff with ease.”- I wonder if I should’ve got this in one length up but the tech handed me this and I just shrugged. I had no intention of buying this but Mr. @ski diva recommended it at lunch when he heard I was demoing. Even at its width, it was easier to turn than the Atomic Vantage or the Salomon Myriad. Against my better judgement (because I was alone), I took it into the trees right on the side of the trail to get a taste of the soft stuff that I knew it craved. It handled that like a pro. If I was in the market for a fat ski it would be on the list. 2 runs.

8. Black Pearl 88 166cm: Notes- “Last ski of the day. Honestly it would be unfair to judge this ski. By this time I was tired, and the conditions had changed drastically. The snow was soft and chopped up but the ski took it all in stride. I wasn’t in love but I liked it.” By the time I got to this ski it had been snowing for a while and the groomers weren’t groomed. I just wanted to see what sensation they would give. There was no spark but no hate.

So that was my demo day. It was fun but tiring. You can probably tell which was my favorite... The Armada Victa 83. I feel like it’s the ski that would push me out of my comfort zone safely. The K2 Ooolaluv 85ti is in second place. There is metal in it but I don’t know if it made it feel any different than any other ski I tried. Maybe it made it more stable. Any ski I tried after those 2 were just gravy and fun to try.

So thanks to all the ladies who gave good advice here because I ended up having a really productive demo day.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so so glad they worked out! Such a relief after skiing a ski that doesn't jive with you! I'm also really intrigued that the Ooolaluvs seemed the easiest when many retailers rank them as the hardest, alongside the Santa Ana. Just goes to show you that it's definitely not a science! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think that's perfect with the Victas - the combo of being skiable, but feeling pushed. Plus their topsheets are CUTE!

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm also really intrigued that the Ooolaluvs seemed the easiest when many retailers rank them as the hardest, alongside the Santa Ana.

Right?! I read up on the Ooolaluvs (like this Ski Essentials review) after I skied them because they were not even on my radar and that was definitely not my experience with them. I think it may be different if I was laying them over and really carving them. I don't carve yet, just pivoting my feet to turn.

I think that's perfect with the Victas - the combo of being skiable, but feeling pushed. Plus their topsheets are CUTE!

I was surprised by how much I liked the Victas! Didn't think I would feel anything like that. It was electric and I wanted to ski them all day but reluctantly turned them in. Plus, I agree, I really like their top sheets. I know people say that it doesn't matter but I like a nice looking graphic:tongue:. Now I'm kind of debating what length to get them in. I was only able to try them in 167cm and I'm 95% sure that's what I'll buy it in. But... I can't help wondering... I think I'm more like a solid intermediate now. But the next length in a 176 cm in the "men's" line. I feel like that would be too much. Too bad there's not a 5 centimeter jump versus a 10.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree on the 167s - which is really out of character for me. When people ask for opinions between two sizes, I'm almost always like "the long ones. Or maybe another size up from there," with the idea that most people figure them out after 4-6 days of buyer's remorse. After the Cheyennes, I think you deserve to skip all that and get a ski with only good juju.

You'll probably have to upgrade somewhat soon - I'd ballpark 2-3 seasons based on friends' progression who go about as often, but that's also when they started getting off piste and wanting something wider too. Mid to high 170s would definitely serve a progressing intermediate to advanced skier at your height weight. Save the 176 for the Invictus 95 or 99 :smile:

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like you might have found your ski!
As for quad burn--most likely the bindings had a lot of ramp angle to them. At least, that's my guess.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know of two places that are good price-wise for personal demo-days in my area. Wachusett members get $10 early season demos. And I just noticed yesterday that Gunstock has 2 hour demos for only $10 all season.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I know of two places that are good price-wise for personal demo-days in my area. Wachusett members get $10 early season demos. And I just noticed yesterday that Gunstock has 2 hour demos for only $10 all season.

Ohhh nice tip on the Gunstock demos!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Found a good overview from about ten years ago by @dloveski when it comes to demo'ing from an off mountain shop when skiing local in ski country. She lives in SLC.

Since I live in the flatlands, I've mostly bought skis online during the off-season. But my most recent purchase was from a ski shop at a destination resort for a slight discount because I knew the brand/model/length I wanted wasn't easy to find. I made a decision to buy on the second rental day. Had originally demo'd the skis at a free demo day that included the opportunity to talk to a knowledgeable rep earlier in the same season. I opted to change the bindings instead of keeping the demo bindings. Also got a small discount on the new bindings, mounted for free.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/demo-skis-how-where-and-what.6017/#post-84303

Steps I have found useful when testing/buying my skis:

1. Narrow the skis to a few target models, length.
2. Find a non-mountain resort that carries one or more of the objects of your desire.
3. Make friends with the ski guys, ask them lots of questions about the ski (most love to share their expertise with you).
4. Ask what they are willing to do for you if you demo the skis and love them, if they carry retail.
5. Rent them----and come back and give your feedback. If too short/long, try another size next time.
6. Keep rental receipts.
7. If you fall in love, make an offer to buy the demos, less the rental costs.
8. If they won't sell now, ask if they will sell later in the season.

I worked with a couple of shops carrying different models and they were eager to work with me. I kept the demo receipts and they discounted this amount from the sale price when I bought the skis.

On the issue of buying a woman's demo rental------you get to try them, the rental price is waived if you buy, most demo rentals are 'lightly used' as most women renting these skis don't pound them as hard as a men's performance rental package renter might.)

New skis are nice too---but, like a new car, depreciate the moment you mount the bindings and take 'em for a spin. I've really had great luck with buying the demo rentals.

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
Steps I have found useful when testing/buying my skis:

1. Narrow the skis to a few target models, length.
2. Find a non-mountain resort that carries one or more of the objects of your desire.
3. Make friends with the ski guys, ask them lots of questions about the ski (most love to share their expertise with you).
4. Ask what they are willing to do for you if you demo the skis and love them, if they carry retail.
5. Rent them----and come back and give your feedback. If too short/long, try another size next time.
6. Keep rental receipts.
7. If you fall in love, make an offer to buy the demos, less the rental costs.
8. If they won't sell now, ask if they will sell later in the season.

I worked with a couple of shops carrying different models and they were eager to work with me. I kept the demo receipts and they discounted this amount from the sale price when I bought the skis.

On the issue of buying a woman's demo rental------you get to try them, the rental price is waived if you buy, most demo rentals are 'lightly used' as most women renting these skis don't pound them as hard as a men's performance rental package renter might.)

New skis are nice too---but, like a new car, depreciate the moment you mount the bindings and take 'em for a spin. I've really had great luck with buying the demo rentals.
Will demos skis have heavier bindings though? Im curious because I felt like the binding on the demos I had on Saturday felt top heavy when I was on the chair lift. Not sure if it was because it was a demo binding or if that was the particular binding model (Salomon Warden)?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Will demos skis have heavier bindings though? Im curious because I felt like the binding on the demos I had on Saturday felt top heavy when I was on the chair lift. Not sure if it was because it was a demo binding or if that was the particular binding model (Salomon Warden)?
Yes, demo bindings weigh more. That's one reason that when I bought demo skis I had the bindings swapped out. The advantage of having demo bindings is that the skis are easier to re-sell since more boot BSLs will fit without needing to re-drill to install bindings. I think the range for non-demo bindings is around 10mm before removing and re-installing bindings is necessary.

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, demo bindings weigh more. That's one reason that when I bought demo skis I had the bindings swapped out. The advantage of having demo bindings is that the skis are easier to re-sell since more boot BSLs will fit without needing to re-drill to install bindings. I think the range for non-demo bindings is around 10mm before removing and re-installing bindings is necessary.
So if I think I will be hanging onto a ski long term then it would either make sense to have new skis or have demo skis swapped out with a different binding?

marzNC

Angel Diva
So if I think I will be hanging onto a ski long term then it would either make sense to have new skis or have demo skis swapped out with a different binding?
Not necessarily. Nothing wrong with demo bindings from a performance standpoint.

I've bought new skis, used skis, and demo skis. Mostly had only two pairs of skis at a time the last 10-15 years. Being petite and older, I have an interest in skis that are lighter to carry from the parking lot. So for me, it was worth paying a little more to swap out the demo bindings for a binding that I had experience with. I was buying pretty expensive skis. Cost twice as much as any other pair of skis that I've bought before. But I've learned a lot since I started demo'ing about a dozen years ago.

Realized after one season that the first good skis I bought weren't the best choice. They had "system bindings," also known as "integrated bindings" so also easier to sell. I went that route because I didn't want to learn about bindings too back then. I spent a year deciding what to get as a One Ski Quiver. Found something I liked demo'ing during a ski vacation out west when I only bought boots and used demo skis all week. Bought the skis I wanted at a good price during the summer. Used those for 4-5 years before starting the hunt for new all-mountain skis. Those also had an integrated binding. Sold to a Diva.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the demo skis I've bought, I've just kept the rental bindings on for reasons of laziness, flexibility (to lend to friends or sell), and I've really not had an issue with having the rental bindings (note: the demo skis are not my powder skis).

thanks MarzNC for reminding me of posts-past! I really don't demo anymore---My S7s and Black Pearls are my go-to resort skis now and I'm happy until at least next season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
As late season demo days approach, here are a couple of 2019 articles about how to demo skis. Remember that most models stay the same for a few years. So if you demo the 2019 or 2020 version and find skis you really like, it's possible to shop for the version from the last season or two and find a good deal in the spring. I've even found what I wanted during summer sales.

https://www.theskidiva.com/how-to-demo-skis/ - includes link to demo score card

https://blog.liftopia.com/a-guide-on-how-to-demo-skis/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna