• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How often do you replace your skis?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have a new pair of skis -- Blizzard Viva X8's -- for this year, replacing a pair of Volkl Tierras that had been through four seasons. I loved them, but it was time to move on.

I also have two other pair -- Nordica Hell's Belles and Atomic Elysians -- which are both entering their third season.

So I was wondering: How often do you replace your skis, and what contributes to your decision to get a new pair?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I dont really think of it as replacing. Its more like introducing new blood and then thinning the herd to produce the best possible stock.

... and I introduced new blood way too often.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
6-8 years, a bit less than my cars. I have 3 pairs right now, I've never had a quiver before 2012.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I tend to ski skis until they've got nothing left. I generally notice things starting to feel noodle-y after 120 days or so, which is about 3 seasons for me. Unless I actively don't like a ski (rare), I tend to just buy a pair and then not think about it for a few years, at which point I ask @SnowHot which pair I should get next. Works pretty well. :smile:

What bounceswoosh said sums it up for me as well.

I tend to not keep skis a long time and If I find I don't love a ski than I get rid of it. I've done a fair amount of demoing over the last 2 years and have purchased my skis based on the results of that demoing so I'm very content with what I have and don't have any other replacements planned.

The only questionable ski for me are my Kastle LX82s as I didn't demo them and bought on an excellent deal. I'll see how it goes with those. I am going to keep the demoing to a minimum this season and just ski.

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
Daily drive - like SkiDiva about 3-4 years. Extra types - ie out west skis - till I'm sick of them. My Conquer's weren't ready, but I wanted something a little stiffer so went for the Temptations.

I also have a pair of rock skis in rotation. Attraxion 12's. Those will eventually go to the Teen on Edge program.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hmm, only bought good skis starting in 2009. First pair of K2 skis was replaced after a year when I knew more about finding skis that are fun for me. Kept the Rossi Attraxions I bought in 2010 until 2014. Only used them in the Mid-Atlantic after I bought Black Pearls in 2012. Averaged about 25 days on snow back then (MidA, trips to Rockies). Have started to look for a replacement for the BPs but not in a hurry. They are only being used in soft snow since I got the Absolut Joy in 2015. I tend to rent demo skis for powder days when I get lucky on trips out west.

So I guess the answer is that after 4-5 seasons, I'm actively looking for something new at demo days or when I rent demo skis.

RuthB

Angel Diva
I tend to ski skis until they've got nothing left. I generally notice things starting to feel noodle-y after 120 days or so, which is about 3 seasons for me. Unless I actively don't like a ski (rare), I tend to just buy a pair and then not think about it for a few years, at which point I ask @SnowHot which pair I should get next. Works pretty well. :smile:

This, except it currently takes me a bit longer to get to 120 days. And I haven't skied with many diva's so haven't got someone who can say "you should try this"

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It would be helpful for me to know how many days per season. I ski 20 - 30 days, so that's probably on the low side for many who live right in ski country. I tend to replace skis after 4-5 seasons or when they seem noodley. Or I buy new skis to fill out my quiver. Right now I'm looking for a shorter, quick turning ski for resort tree skiing, so if anyone has a recommendation, I'm all ears.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been meaning to ask this same question on the forum, especially how many days on a pair of skis.

I found a pair of skis on ebay that I was interested in, and the listing said to call the shop, located at the base of Vail, for more information about condition. When I called they were going on and on about "excellent condition" and when when I asked how many days on them he said, "Oh about 140." I was like !@>!@?# Those most be super noodly/no camber left. And then the guy said, "Well, you shouldn't really judge the condition of a pair of skis based on how many days they have been skied." I begged to differ, and that was pretty much the end of the conversation. An instructor at Whistler had skied this exact model (how I first became interested in them) and she said they usually only last about 100 days for her.

The only pair of skis I have sold had about 30 days on them, but they were sold mostly because they were my first pair and I quickly outgrew them.

I ski about 30-40 days a year but have different pairs of skis so none really get heavy use. I usually buy my skis from ski shops that sell their demo fleets in the spring. Most of my skis as of late have come from eBay and have minimal use. My skis are mostly 163-164cm and I was told that skis in the 150-160 range get the heaviest of use the taller than ski than 160 the less it goes out. I bought my 2016 demo Kenjas in a 163 for $359 last June and you could eat off the top sheets and the bases.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm terrible. I haven't come close to wearing out a pair of skis yet. I actually had to write out my 8 years of skiing to date to figure this out, but it seems the longest I've kept skis has been about 2.5 seasons (my Volkl Lunas) and that was before I even took any lessons!! NOW if you count the 156 Kenjas and the 149 Kenjas combined as just "Kenja," then I was on Kenjas for about 2.5 years also. I think I only had those 156s for maybe half a season before I realized they were too long for anything other than groomers?

My Yumis will hit 2.5 seasons at the end of this upcoming season, and I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon (I say that now). I'm actually feeling a bit chagrined now at how many skis I've bought in 8 years (10 pairs!), but a few were live and learns as a new(er) skier (too soft, too short, too stiff, too heavy, just didn't like). So in a way at least now I have a better idea of works for me and what I like??? Yay???? lol

I feel better now. I've not even come close to even wearing out a pair of skis either. I have probably gone through about the same number of skis. I've had quite a few pairs of live and learns (too soft, too short, just didn't like) and if that's the case I don't see a reason to keep them around so off they go to another owner. I would say because of this and all the demoing over the last couple years I now have a better idea of what I like and what works for me so sporadic ownership is a lot less likely to happen. I of course can't rule it out nor will I lie and say I'll keep the skis I have forever but the skis I have now are more likely to stick around for a while. :smile: Just not 100% sure about the Kastles but I'm sure going to hang with them for a bit and give them a fair shot.

Last edited:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel better now. I've not even come close to even wearing out a pair of skis. I have probably gone through about the same number of skis. I've had quite a few pairs of live and learns (too soft, too short, just didn't like) and if that's the case I don't see a reason to keep them around so off they go to another owner. I would say because of this and all the demoing over the last couple years I now have a better idea of what I like and what works for me so sporadic ownership is a lot less likely to happen. I of course can't rule it out nor will I lie and say I'll keep the skis I have forever but the skis I have now are more likely to stick around for a while. :smile: Just not 100% sure about the Kastles but I'm sure going to hang with them for a bit and give them a fair shot.

You sound far more confident than I feel right now. I thought I was keeping those Kenjas FOREVER because I loved them sooo much. It's a wonder I didn't doodle little hearts around their name in a notebook. It wasn't until I was demoing a softer ski than the Kenjas at Big Sky and Mr. ride_ski told me that the demos were too stiff for me that I ever even questioned if the Kenjas were too stiff (which they were). Best thing that's ever happened to me as I ski much better on the Yumis. So I'm not overly confident I won't be singing a different tune again at some point. lol

You sound far more confident than I feel right now. I thought I was keeping those Kenjas FOREVER because I loved them sooo much. It's a wonder I didn't doodle little hearts around their name in a notebook. It wasn't until I was demoing a softer ski than the Kenjas at Big Sky and Mr. ride_ski told me that the demos were too stiff for me that I ever even questioned if the Kenjas were too stiff (which they were). Best thing that's ever happened to me as I ski much better on the Yumis. So I'm not overly confident I won't be singing a different tune again at some point. lol

You sound pretty confident. I loved, loved, loved my 2015 Kenjas. One of my facebook profile pics is me kissing them. Hey I get very attached to my vehicles and my skis. I was pretty close to doodling little hearts around their name in a notebook. They were my first 'big girl ski' after I got rid of my 148cm skis that were too short for this 5'6" 175lb gal. I thought we'd be together forever and then I went on a date with the 2016 Kenjas and well the 2015s are gone now. I was sad when I sold them but I sold them to someone I know so I'll get visitation when we ski together lol. You rock those Yumi's that's for sure :smile:. I'm sure there will be other skis in your future.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Last season was the first season I ever had more than one pair of skis at a time. Usually ski between 35-40 days a season (mostly midweek) and keep skis about 4 years and don't switch out. Last season I bought demo Sambas on a whim as had demoed them for 2 years for the fun of it. Then I couldn't decide which ski to take out. Still have my Kenjas but am giving away to my SIL if she wants them. Otherwise they will live in the garage at Northstar as rock skis. Conditions in Tahoe don't really change that much where I think I need a certain ski for the conditions. Even with the Rossi Saffron 7 and the Blizzard Samba I think I have too many choices. So, if I get another pair (maybe Atomic 95CW or Nordica Santa Ana), I will get rid of a pair. I'll just get @surfsnowgirl to sell for me....think she bought and sold 6 pairs of skis last season alone, right? :smile:

Last season was the first season I ever had more than one pair of skis at a time. Usually ski between 35-40 days a season (mostly midweek) and keep skis about 4 years and don't switch out. Last season I bought demo Sambas on a whim as had demoed them for 2 years for the fun of it. Then I couldn't decide which ski to take out. Still have my Kenjas but am giving away to my SIL if she wants them. Otherwise they will live in the garage at Northstar as rock skis. Conditions in Tahoe don't really change that much where I think I need a certain ski for the conditions. Even with the Rossi Saffron 7 and the Blizzard Samba I think I have too many choices. So, if I get another pair (maybe Atomic 95CW or Nordica Santa Ana), I will get rid of a pair. I'll just get @surfsnowgirl to sell for me....think she bought and sold 6 pairs of skis last season alone, right? :smile:

Ha something like that but things have settled down now. I've even sold a pair of skis for DH. I did save the box from the last pair I bought so I don't have to hunt down one if I need it. I also have a pair of attack 13 bindings sitting around in case I want to swap out bindings or end up buying a pair of flat skis.

I'd totally sell skis for you, it's fun for me.

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm terrible. I haven't come close to wearing out a pair of skis yet. I actually had to write out my 8 years of skiing to date to figure this out, but it seems the longest I've kept skis has been about 2.5 seasons (my Volkl Lunas) and that was before I even took any lessons!!

Sounds a lot like me. My excuse is that my skiing and terrain choices have been changing, but really - I just love new toys. The graphics, the different shapes ... it's like crack to me.

Sounds a lot like me. My excuse is that my skiing and terrain choices have been changing, but really - I just love new toys. The graphics, the different shapes ... it's like crack to me.

Me too

I say that I've finally realized what I like/don't like in skis and have made changes accordingly. However, I also love new toys, everything you said. I am actually a little sad cause I have the perfect quiver for me now but that means next year won't be nearly as exciting because I won't be buying skis like I did this past year. Next summer will be my summer to fully develop an off season hobby to keep me busy :smile:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly