• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How often do you replace your skis?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the best piece of tuning equipment I ended up with aside from the iron was a true bar. I looked recently at a new pair I bought last spring and haven't used yet and the bases are clearly concave. I'm glad I noticed so I can get them tuned. I think skiing on them would have been very frustrating.

That's a good idea! I have made friends with Doug from pugski. He works at a shop in Breck, so when I get bindings mounted, I take them to him and tell him to figure out what, if anything, they need done. He's very thoughtful.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the best piece of tuning equipment I ended up with aside from the iron was a true bar. I looked recently at a new pair I bought last spring and haven't used yet and the bases are clearly concave. I'm glad I noticed so I can get them tuned. I think skiing on them would have been very frustrating.
True Bar for the win!!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually have just instituted a "payment plan" to myself that I think will slow down my ski purchases. And that's a good thing.

I know, I know - also contrary to the site ethos ;-)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ski diva set a good example for us, enabling the anti-enabling.

Yeah, as I wrote that, I was thinking - the enabling doesn't really come from the site founder, does it? But it's still a pretty strong trend here.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think a lot of my "gear" shopping last spring was an expression of my sadness at the season ending. Looking at and buying ski stuff was a way to sort of extend it. Now that time on snow is imminent, I just want to get out and play. Time shopping is time not skiing!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

You've got that right. I experienced first-hand the downfall of not checking a new pair of skis before using them. I was excited to start the season---several years ago--- on my new pair of Sollys up at Purgatory. As soon as I disembarked the lift I knew something was off. Initially I assumed it was Me. A fledgling intermediate then, so what did I know............
I was having so much trouble controlling these skis!!!
Just could not steer these for the life of me. Every turn was a disaster waiting to happen; until it did. :eek:
I was out of control and hit a small bump that sent me flying into another bump where I thought I had broken my Patella for sure. The outcome was a really awesome sled ride with the Ski Patrol that was worth the price of admission to be a recipient of the awesome skiing skills Patrollers use to get you down the hill over varied terrain.

Now I check the concavity of all new skis. Or any bought used.:redface:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually have just instituted a "payment plan" to myself that I think will slow down my ski purchases. And that's a good thing.

I know, I know - also contrary to the site ethos ;-)
I can help you with that. :dance:

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, completely concave, which apparently is common? I sanded it down relatively flat.
I did that to mine, too, and I can finally wax with one or two smooth strokes like they do on videos. Yes, very common among cheaper irons; usually not a problem, but inconvenient and confusing to novices.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought my S7s after a demo day at Loveland when my daughter stayed at the nursery and was almost 1. She is almost 7 now... I ski 20-30 days a year.

I bought alpine boots this summer on clearance (mine are mounted AT). I think that's a sign I'm on the hunt. Although I still love my S7s. I think I want better bump skis as a first priority.

It looks like I will be pulling out my trusty Vokl 20/20s for Thanksgiving (skis prior to S7s) if we don't get some serious snow this week. At least I can test out my new boots.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
:bump:
My first skis were 178 cm Heads back in 1968. These are now in the antique display at Suicide 6 Vermont after skiing on them until 1998!
My first shaped skis were Elan's in 1998 and I skied on them until the edge came out in 2003.

Now in my quivver are:

Rock Skis 2003 Atomic C-9 160 cm
Slalom: 2008 Atomic Foxy Mama 150 cm (124/74/108)
Giant Slalom: 2010 Atomic Varioflex 157 cm (122/75/109)
All Mountain: 2009 K2 Burnin Luv 156 cm (117/70/101)
Vermont Only-All Mountain: 2013 K2 Super Burnin 160 cm (121/72/106)

I think tomorrow I'll be replacing the Burnin Luvs with:

All Mountain 2017 K2 Luv Machine 74Ti 160 cm (121/74/107)

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Clearly, you are not replacing them. They replace themselves! (See above)
So, just before I hit 120 days on the T88s, they will magically turn into Soul 7s? :becky:

:smile: I think I've plum worn out the Burnin Luvs; They'll be my new rock ski and the old rock skis will go to some college student...
The cycle of life continues...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna