• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How often do you replace your skis?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I tend to ski a ski until I'm done with it. Because I only started skiing about 4 seasons ago, I've had 3 pairs of skis. I had the Atomic Affinity Pures for 1 season and a little bit, and then sold them because I had moved on from green runs and the Pures were too short and unstable at speed for me. Since then, I've been on Volkl Kenjas in every condition (3 years). Last season, the days I spent in ungroomed/'offpiste' conditions outnumbered the groomer days, so I decided to add the Nordica Santa Ana to my quiver. I think I will use the Kenjas early season and on snow poor days, and the Santa Anas for everything else. I don't expect to be getting new skis any time soon (and I'm not really interested in getting any new ones or demoing this year). Quiver of 2 sounds great to me.

I'll be travelling to Whistler and Revy this year, and if there will be lots of snow, I'll rent a 110+ underfoot for those days. But I don't feel the need to own a superfatty at this point.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I used to keep my skis until they were pretty much finished - like my Rossi Attraction 6s, which I had for years until they could no longer be tuned. I still skied them (cuz I loved them) until the base was gone in places. THEN I "met" the SkiDivas!! Since then I've probably bought 6 pairs of skis - one (at least) has been sold, another given to my daughter, another given to a friend - and I now have three pairs, oldest of which is the Temptation 88 - still in good shape though. I probably ski close to 50 days a season, but am using two or three skis so they should last a while. Unless, of course, something else catches my fancy! But I've basically told myself that this season, no demoing allowed!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll ski a ski til it's used up.. I sometimes buy "my favorite" and put away when one is used up.. done that a couple of times.. I've been skiing as a daily driver Atomic Heaven's gate Non Rocker. (2010 model or maybe earlier!!) I bought a pair and put away when rocker first started and I did not (still don't) like 'tip flap"

last season I bought the Atomic 11's w/rocker for a replacement to the HG's but the season was so lousy they only have 1 day on them.. I did buy my Black Pearls for spring snow and I do take them west. I picked up a pair of Elysians to take west the Pearls don't cut it for me in over a foot of snow. I'm tempted to demo some real fatties but I'm usually to antsy to get on the snow vs go to the shop and here in the East the chance of using over 100cm is slim.. and I guess the old school in me knows I used to ski straight narrow 210cm long skis in anything so all these new skis are a joy..

I've skied so hard on my skis the tuners are amazed how I can burn down the edges and have a 'hump'.. now my boots that's another story.. I love my boots the power strap is used up they are well worn but they are sooo comfortable I may look at new boots this year but that's a pia to me finding a pair So I'll put another 50+days (they have over 300days now easily)

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ummmmmmm......replace? Uh, well, oh, eh, hmmmm. :wink::becky:

My oldest skis are my 05 Auras, 6 Stars, and Karmas. The Karmas have basically been replaced by my Harts, and I'll likely finally sell them this year and I rarely ski the 6 Stars any more (except for racing).

I did finally replace my 09 Kikus (fully cambered) with 12s (fully rockered) last year and I'm pretty happy with that choice.

In general, though, the only time I really replace skis is when I find I bought them too short (had 173 Shiros, but traded for 184s last year, new Kikus are 178, 161 6 Stars were sold and replaced by 168s years ago). This year, however, my Fischer Hybrids 168s are due to be retired and will likely be replaced by RTM 84 UVOs in a 177.

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Tigersharks are 5 years old and I thought last season I wouldnt be skiing them much so they would go off to the ski sale but surprise surprise they are the ski Ive skied the most this season and I know that I'd like to get something similar when they do eventually pass on.My new skis(a pair of Rossi Savory 7-new old stock) have only had a handful of days due to pretty ropey conditions,especially off piste where I've preferred to use my rock skis(Zag Gold).The Zags are still lots of fun both on and off piste having 14 m radius,camber,a giant spoon/rocker and 91mm waist. Demoed some Volkl 90 eight and if choosing again,and for what we ski here most of the time,I'd choose them over the Rossis.

My Tigersharks are 5 years old and I thought last season I wouldnt be skiing them much so they would go off to the ski sale but surprise surprise they are the ski Ive skied the most this season and I know that I'd like to get something similar when they do eventually pass on.My new skis(a pair of Rossi Savory 7-new old stock) have only had a handful of days due to pretty ropey conditions,especially off piste where I've preferred to use my rock skis(Zag Gold).The Zags are still lots of fun both on and off piste having 14 m radius,camber,a giant spoon/rocker and 91mm waist. Demoed some Volkl 90 eight and if choosing again,and for what we ski here most of the time,I'd choose them over the Rossis.

The 90Eights are indeed awesome. Short turning radius, gets on edge very easy, skis like a carver but still 98 underfoot. Just bought a pair and was very impressed how easy they were to get on edge and how well they did on the hard pack.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
You sound far more confident than I feel right now. I thought I was keeping those Kenjas FOREVER because I loved them sooo much. It's a wonder I didn't doodle little hearts around their name in a notebook. It wasn't until I was demoing a softer ski than the Kenjas at Big Sky and Mr. ride_ski told me that the demos were too stiff for me that I ever even questioned if the Kenjas were too stiff (which they were). Best thing that's ever happened to me as I ski much better on the Yumis. So I'm not overly confident I won't be singing a different tune again at some point. lol
I bet I would like the Yumis. Might be good in bumps in Tahoe.... What is the width underfoot and what length did you get?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bet I would like the Yumis. Might be good in bumps in Tahoe.... What is the width underfoot and what length did you get?

They're 83 at the waist. Got them in 147. Tried the 154 but they were too long for me.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Every 2-3 years on average, although my first pair lasted me almost 5 seasons. Very happy with my current quiver, so will try to stick to it for some years. The latest addition was made this year. I am not usually interested in demoing new skis unless I am considering replacement.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tend to ski skis until they've got nothing left. I generally notice things starting to feel noodle-y after 120 days or so, which is about 3 seasons for me. Unless I actively don't like a ski (rare), I tend to just buy a pair and then not think about it for a few years, at which point I ask @SnowHot which pair I should get next. Works pretty well. :smile:
Happy to oblige. :smile:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski between 80-90 days per season, but not all on the same pair of skis. I tend to mix it up, depending on conditions.

Your car was in sight at Okemo a whole lot of the time last year! :-) Hoping we get a decent amount of snow for 16-17. Last year was pretty sad.

IF the snow cooperates, I hope to be 50+ days. Weekday skier only! On this year's new skis, Nordica Wild Belles, after 2+ years on Nordica Belle to Belle. Those will still be with me for icy days with the narrower waist, and because I do still like those. Before that I'd been at least four years on Dynastars, but was still working five days a week so skiing a lot less.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm eternally searching for the perfect ski.

I nearly had them with my Dynastar Idylls, but they were never the same after they'd been tuned. I had one amazing holiday on those bad boys where I skied the best I ever had in my life.

So they went, then I had the Black Pearls which I loved in soft snow, but less so on hard pistes (I've now sold them, because much as I liked them, I can't take two pairs of skis with me everywhere), and now I have the Temptation 80s which I really like - but they are now due a tune.

I will see how long I like them for :becky:

I guess the answer to the OP's question is, not very long!!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am actually a little sad cause I have the perfect quiver for me now but that means next year won't be nearly as exciting because I won't be buying skis like I did this past year.

Lol, same here, I went on a bit of a joyful binge last year; I just couldn't get over how many different types of skis there are! (As opposed to skiing when I was a kid:"Here's a ski. It's straight and narrow, just like every other ski ever. Your boots will hurt and skiing will be frustrating and difficult. It builds character."

I recommend becoming obsessed with waxing and tuning; there are lots of tools to try out and waxing is sort of zen-like and gives me a chance to bond with my skis in November while waiting for cold weather. :becky:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have this thing I do with skis.....I ski them, I love them, I loan them and I have a problem with nodding my head and accepting cash for them when someone else loves them. Then I ski on something else, sometimes the same model ski but more often, something completely different.

I will not admit nor deny doing this with some of the Ski Divas I've skied with.

Those who know me, may or may not admit to experiencing this with me.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Last new ski (Kiku) joined the quiver in Feb 2014, I am still also using skis I got in 2009. So I have a hard time actually giving up skis.

The only ones that are really rotting away are my first ever ski, Burnin' Luvs with system bindings. I should sell or scrap those. But they were great for me when I started, and I am nostalgic...

Tvan

Angel Diva
I've changed skis because I've outgrown them. I started on Elan Perlas in 2011, and replaced them in 2013 with my Atomic Affinity Pures. I loved the Atomics - they were a great crud busting ski for me, but I felt like I was outgrowing them and needed something longer. I got my used Volkl Charismas in 2015 and skied them three times because last winter was soooooooo bad for skiing here in the east. I have no need of boots or skis this year... (or jackets, or pants, or gloves...etc etc) but we do need SNOW.

Lol, same here, I went on a bit of a joyful binge last year; I just couldn't get over how many different types of skis there are! (As opposed to skiing when I was a kid:"Here's a ski. It's straight and narrow, just like every other ski ever. Your boots will hurt and skiing will be frustrating and difficult. It builds character."

I recommend becoming obsessed with waxing and tuning; there are lots of tools to try out and waxing is sort of zen-like and gives me a chance to bond with my skis in November while waiting for cold weather. :becky:

Exactly, good idea. Last pair of skis came home yesterday so I'm very much done for a while and as we have no more room for skis between the 2 of us I'm truly done for a while. As luck would have it we were poking around the new REI near us and they have a class in a couple weeks on waxing so the timing couldn't be more perfect. Paul and Nathan at my mountain tune our skis for cheap but I'd love to know how to wax so if a ski's getting heavy use I can throw some on in between tune ups. I love the idea of bonding with my skis :smile:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the best piece of tuning equipment I ended up with aside from the iron was a true bar. I looked recently at a new pair I bought last spring and haven't used yet and the bases are clearly concave. I'm glad I noticed so I can get them tuned. I think skiing on them would have been very frustrating.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna