• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How many years have you been skiing?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I started in 1968, skied for about 10 years maybe 10 times a year, then didn't ski again til 1995 -- so there's a gap of 17 years. (What can I say, life happens.) If you add up the number of years I've actually been on skis, it comes to 38.

I often say I'm trying to make up for lost time. Since I started really keeping track in 2010, I've skied a total of 938 days. Most years I've been in the 80's, a few years in the 70's, and I think one or two in the 50's.

Last edited:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started in 1974 and skied a few times a season until the late 1980's when I sort of drifted away from it. I gave up my career as a visual merchandiser for a large fashion retailer in 1997 and worked a season at a ski area where I met my now husband and the rest as they say is history. I now live on the doorstep of our local ski hill (s) and manage to get 30 - 40 days a season ... remember our seasons are short on average only about 90 days long.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
1964 and I too haven't missed a season. Been a CSIA instructor since 1984.
Wow! :clap:

48 years for me, none missed - but a handful on the light side (due to minor stuff, like - childbirth). DH 57 years, none missed, PSIA for 48 years (2 more years until no dues!). DS 38 years.

And this holds nary a candle to 2 of our ski pals, both of whom started at 3. One is 68, the other 71. Wow to that math. 65 and 68 years of skiing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hard to count years. Have skied the most after I retired early to be a more relaxed older parent. Has been 18 years so far when I've skied every winter.

I learned to ski in middle school in the northeast during two seasons 1968-70. Didn't ski at all for 10 years. Skied a few days every few years in the 1980s and 1990s as a working adult, less than 6 days each winter, mostly flying out west. Started skiing more consistently after 2005 when it was clear my daughter loved skiing. First few seasons we only skied in the southeast. Spring break trips to Alta with her started in 2008 and mid-season adults-only ski trips started in 2010. Didn't start skiing more than 50 days a season until 10 years ago.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Started as a teenager in the mid 60's, mostly backyard skiing since no one else in the family skied. Managed once a year to a resort with friends. In college took up x-country skiing and did a lot of that in addition to once or twice a season Alpine. Started skiing more Alpine after college. Have skied most seasons since, missing a few for injuries and babies. Haven't missed a season since 95-96.

CoachDeb

Diva in Training
I didn’t start skiing until I was 59. So, it’s been 4 years (3 seasons) of trying to get somewhat comfortable. I fell day one last year and was out for the season. Got back out there this year and, praise the Lord, I had an outstanding season! For the first time I enjoyed it. The mental fatigue of trying to “do it right” was much less.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I missed 2010-2011 for the most part due to childbirth but I think I got in a day at Mountain Creek towards the end of the season. I have this memory of bringing my pump. And I wonder if I went with my dad too. I think maybe I did.

I have been snowboarding or skiing or both each season for the past 23-25 years — from my adult life during college and after. But before it was intermittent due to being young and not able to drive myself or travel on my own or have any funds to do so. So it depended on the 15 years prior to that on the adults who brought me, if I got any time on snow that season.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I started in 1980 and have only missed the main part of two seasons - had 4 days in 2021-2022 before I hurt myself, and missed the current season up until 4/10.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So....I learned how to ski 40 years ago, but I took roughly 6 seasons off due to a combination of injury, geography, and $$, so that takes me to ~34 ski seasons, the first 20 of which were spent doing highly skilled and balanced skidding on sheets of ice. I think I may have played basketball and travel indoor soccer for 2 of those years, too, which would have taken away from skiing, so maybe it's closer to 30 ski seasons?

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, it's been a journey! Between the ages of 8-14ish my family would go for the odd weekend and mostly near the end of the season (probably a maximum of 5-10 days/year) due to expense. We stopped due to other sporting commitments and I think the generally $$$ nature of taking a whole family skiing.

Then I went on two weekend ski trips (I think in different seasons) while at uni plus did a couple days here and there - so I think maybe 6 days over the course of an entire university degree. Once I graduated and was living in the UK I started skiing again in 2014 with three trips to France, and have not missed a season since but with most seasons until 2019 would get 4-10 days. Over this time I moved back to NZ and my mother also started skiing again. I didn't get serious about progression beyond the intermediate plateau until 2019 when we booked a week of private half-day lessons and then a trip to Japan in early 2020. I would say I'm an adventurous/confident intermediate now but stuck at about a Level 6 technique-wise with a number of bad habits.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I first skied 1970, age 11, 1 weekend a year for a few years, then 3 years with 10-15days at a small New Hampshire mountain with no snowmaking, modest vertical, and little advanced terrain that I was afraid of so never skied. I learned to adapt to all weather and underfoot conditions. Then 45 years of 3-10 days per year except for 6-7 consecutive seasons out for having kids. The last two years I’m up to 21 and 24 days, thanks to semi retired status, and most of all, new ski buddies and destinations because of this Forum, yay SkiDivas!!!! I’m a huge believer in the Taos ski week, which I’ve done the last 2 years in a row. The approach has given me more confidence, and I’m skiing more challenging and varied terrain than ever! Like those old L’Oreal commercials….I’m not getting older, I’m getting better!:yahoo:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly