• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How many days have you skied so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadoj

Angel Diva
28 as of yesterday.

Survived patrol training night. Did fine; just a bit of mental anxiety due to some ergonomic issues I hadn't had a chance to address from 2 weeks before. I'll get a chance to work on more drills tomorrow at Welch, and ski our "back bowl" for some good steep corridor practice. Heading up to Wild Mountain on Sunday so I can play dead in the "moguls" for senior patroller testing. Another woman patrol candidate from my hill is joining me in this role. Should be amusing; it's a great quality class testing, so happy to help out as "meat". I'll get to free ski there afterwards, too. Woohoo!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
o happy to help out as "meat"
I bumped into a friend of my sons last night who was telling about the time she was the "pretend" patient when he was starting out his patrol career ..... something I refused to do after seeing a rookie patroller lose control of the sled on an off piste black diamond run, luckily the sled was empty !!!

Karenfrances

Certified Ski Diva
11 as of last Monday .... I am not super-optimistic about getting many more days in, though .... we had a temperature drop in DC last night which should be good for snowmaking at the immediate VA/WV/MD ski areas, but it is looking like 60s mid-week, and again after the three-day weekend.

I did check tickets to Denver last night (my daughter has another long weekend from school in early March) but prices were painful after the $218 we paid last month.

kiki

Angel Diva
Day 6 for me. Wimped out with the drive to whistler, hate driving that highway in the rain, went to local mountain and skiid in the rain. Probably should have gone the extra distance, driven in the rain and skiid in the snow….

Attachments

• 41EB3A7A-1AC9-4956-A2D2-77A3FC6FE474.jpeg
    41EB3A7A-1AC9-4956-A2D2-77A3FC6FE474.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 6
  • FBD197B5-B5AA-4796-8B47-F3ACE62B08A3.jpeg
    FBD197B5-B5AA-4796-8B47-F3ACE62B08A3.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 82F99E0A-4C1E-4C29-8459-06AA184D5278.jpeg
    82F99E0A-4C1E-4C29-8459-06AA184D5278.jpeg
    523 KB · Views: 6

shadoj

Angel Diva
Days 29 and 30!

29: Welch. A Very Mountain Hosting Day.
- Had to have my car jump-started to get there... though the auto place around the corner did it for free (frequent customer).
- 6 zip ties used. 4 to close a run with a whale-induced slush/ice ravine at the bottom; 2 to fix a fence while hanging my tips off a ledge -- fellow patroller had a hand on my back, haha. I can get reaaaally low to the ground.
- Returned a lost credit card.
- Chased folks out of the woods that lead to dirt jumps.
- Made my first 911 call and filled out my first accident report. No helmet => concussion. Not awesome.
- Did two shifts in the "back bowl" (our steeps).
- Traffic control for skiers separated from equipment.
- Garbage gathered off runs.

Somewhere in there, I skied. Also, ICE SUCKS! (well, the trees here, anyways).

30: Wild Mountain. Victim ballast, bumps?, and @racetiger meetup!
- I skied to my favorite pole on Ego Alley many times today, then took off my skis.
- No one dumped me out of the sled!
- The patroller from my home hill (snowboarder) earned her Senior level award!
- Skied the bumps a couple times. Not too bad after the Sugarbush practice.
- Skied more with another woman candidate from my hill (also a ballast victim). Her new kitten is now named Bailey!
- Got more ski skills feedback from a certified patroller... and was told I really understand my skiing fundamentals. *blush*
- Got to ski with another Midwest Diva at the end of the day... to be repeated tomorrow at Trollhaugen!!! :smile:

Wow, this has really been a good season!
:ski2:

newbieM

Angel Diva
Day 6 at Deer Valley, it was my first time skiing there. I’ve been super spoiled getting to ski places like powder mountain and Alta. Since I’m a low-intermediate, deer valley was not my favorite so I don’t think I would go back. It was just soooo busy, the greens feel like traverses, there is so much mountain but no quiet spots.

I also had a boot malfunction, I went to get my boot punched out to make room for my bunion and picked them up late the night before. When I tried them on the next day they felt super tight at the top of my toes so I just assumed it was still me getting used to new boots. After a late lunch, I took one run in the afternoon that was supposed to be what looked like an easy blue. But it was all icy and became super bumpy. It was like skiing on an ice skating ring. By the time I finished that run the front of my foot was both totally numb and excruciatingly painful to even put weight on. I finished the day feeling like it was my bad skiing skills that made my feet hurt so much. The next day i went back to the boot fitter. Turns out whatever they did to punch it out they accidentally left a thick footbed in under my liner which took up too much and was pushing my foot to the top of the boot. At least I’m relieved it isn’t a mystery as to why my foot hurt so much. I’m mad at myself for not figuring it out and taking out the liners to investigate. It sucked to end my day that way. It made me feel like I bought the wrong boots when I was so excited to have a new pair. Hopefully I’ll be able to ski again before the season is over.

Here is a stunning picture of a meal I had in deer valley because I didn’t even take one pic on the slopes.

64C9C083-C88B-4591-A9A7-192B2420F945.jpeg

shadoj

Angel Diva
Day 6 at Deer Valley, it was my first time skiing there. I’ve been super spoiled getting to ski places like powder mountain and Alta. Since I’m a low-intermediate, deer valley was not my favorite so I don’t think I would go back. It was just soooo busy, the greens feel like traverses, there is so much mountain but no quiet spots.

I also had a boot malfunction, I went to get my boot punched out to make room for my bunion and picked them up late the night before. When I tried them on the next day they felt super tight at the top of my toes so I just assumed it was still me getting used to new boots. After a late lunch, I took one run in the afternoon that was supposed to be what looked like an easy blue. But it was all icy and became super bumpy. It was like skiing on an ice skating ring. By the time I finished that run the front of my foot was both totally numb and excruciatingly painful to even put weight on. I finished the day feeling like it was my bad skiing skills that made my feet hurt so much. The next day i went back to the boot fitter. Turns out whatever they did to punch it out they accidentally left a thick footbed in under my liner which took up too much and was pushing my foot to the top of the boot. At least I’m relieved it isn’t a mystery as to why my foot hurt so much. I’m mad at myself for not figuring it out and taking out the liners to investigate. It sucked to end my day that way. It made me feel like I bought the wrong boots when I was so excited to have a new pair. Hopefully I’ll be able to ski again before the season is over.

Here is a stunning picture of a meal I had in deer valley because I didn’t even take one pic on the slopes.

View attachment 20482
Looks yummy!

Hope your foot reverts to normal with the boot adjustments. *crossing fingers for long season*

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
#47 yesterday. Alot of these have been skiing after work. yesterday was finally a daytime skiing when it was slushy and warm in the low 40s. Instead of fighting with sketchy refreezing ice chunks. @shadoj came to Trollhaugen and I had fun playing tour guide.
I'm taking a break now from skiing and going somewhere warm and tropical for awhile . As much as I love skiing I need a break from winter for a few days and gotta go visit family in FL.

shadoj

Angel Diva
#31 yesterday, with @racetiger!

She gave me an excellent and FUN tour of Trollhaugen (my first time skiing in Wisconsin)!

Very empty except for one schoolgroup; beautiful spring-like bluebird day & great snow conditions. Did a lot more backwards skiing, jumping, and spinning around on the flats than normal, thanks to @racetiger's influential skiing style :smile: Even dipped into the trees a bit, even though the cover was a bit thin in places. The whole place skied a lot bigger than it looks on paper. Excited for their upcoming expansion and chairlift this summer!

Ran into the patroller who gave me a comp ticket after we skied together in the Ski Skills class at the last Women Patroller event @ Welch; let her know that her fellow patrol friend did indeed pass her Senior OEC (the medical part of patrolling) on Saturday, woohoo!

Definitely worth the drive for a weekday adventure. Classic local mom & pop vibe :smile:

Today is a needed day off for laundry and real-life work, enforced by the rain outside. Should be back to winter in a day or two, I hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly