• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How many days have you skied so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadoj

Angel Diva
18, finally!

Was supposed to happen earlier this week, but alas, left SI joint decided to take on a creative angle, leaving the left side of my pelvis jabbed into the internal squishy bits of my torso. Not fun. Not the first time it has happened. Only took a couple days to un-twist my spine. Magic. Ta-da!

So... default flat light theme today; more ski-by-feel! Snow was good. Avoided injury. Got my back and hips loosened up a bit. Got to ski with some fun patrollers. Quit before the Witching Hour. Really couldn't ask for much more!

Getting super-stoked for DivaEast!

shadoj

Angel Diva
Day 19 last night. Snow was fabulous, and no crowds!

Got to ride in the toboggan down the moguls during the senior training clinic. For the curious: a single patroller wiggles the sled at constant speed through the troughs and/or gently up-and-over when needed. It was quite smooth! I really enjoy learning by watching others teach new skills, even if I'm nowhere near that level. I'm very grateful that our patrol encourages this for anyone interested, as long as it's not interfering with the class... though, I do get to be a victim a lot!

Heading back out this evening. Woohoo!

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Day 19 last night. Snow was fabulous, and no crowds!

Got to ride in the toboggan down the moguls during the senior training clinic. For the curious: a single patroller wiggles the sled at constant speed through the troughs and/or gently up-and-over when needed. It was quite smooth! I really enjoy learning by watching others teach new skills, even if I'm nowhere near that level. I'm very grateful that our patrol encourages this for anyone interested, as long as it's not interfering with the class... though, I do get to be a victim a lot!

Heading back out this evening. Woohoo!
I have never skied at night.
Must be very different from skiing in day light.

Snowing here. Have a good day.

shadoj

Angel Diva
I have never skied at night.
Must be very different from skiing in day light.
It can be either frightening (crowded icy nights) or blissful (empty clear nights). I love doing sweeps at night, last one down the run. Long green/blue cruisers are super fun to close it out.

On overcast days, having the artificial lights at night makes for a much better time than flat light. Hope you get to try night skiing someday.

Enjoy the fresh snow and have a wonderful day, too!

shadoj

Angel Diva
Day 20! Tagline: "867-5309" (haha)

Beautiful clear evening, snow wasn't too bad. Tagged along with the patrol's "senior ski skills" night and got some good feedback. Went through the weird moguls several times: improved by the end, even if I had no upper-lower body separation! I'll get there yet... kept my line and did use my poles, so I'll credit myself for that. More practice needed. New goal: Once/twice every time out, regardless of the conditions.

Tweaked the cuff alignment on my problematic right foot's boot post-skiing; will try it out Weds. Realized that when "standing flat," I have a bit of an inward edge angle and too much outside pressure on my right calf. Possibly why I have decent rotary/side-slip action one way, yet feel like I'm hyperextending my ankle on the other side to flatten the ski. Very noticeable on shallow-angle slopes. Maybe this is the fix!

If all goes well, *gasp*, I'll try driving a toboggan tomorrow!

shadoj

Angel Diva
As this has now kinda become my season skiing journal thread, too...

Day 21! I'm an adult!
Tried something completely new and out of my comfort zone: drove & tail-roped an unloaded toboggan, then attempted a loaded one (driving) but decided half the run was enough on my weak leg. Was getting a bit tired, snow was thick, and our training night goal is always "learn stuff, but don't get hurt!". That, and upcoming DivaEast! Still don't know if loaded toboggans are in my future, but got some good advice and worked up quite a sweat. Swept a couple cruisers with the night patrol crew for a nice cool-down under snow-like (mixed graupel?) flurries.

Smoother turn linkage was starting to click on a few runs, overcoming my tendency to hold onto pressuring the outside ski too long around the turn, even when engaging the LTE. The whole "tip lead" discussion (thanks @MissySki) has apparently helped me quite a bit these past couple days!

Absolute success tonight! Progress, not perfection. Always a journey!
Tomorrow will be a day off to do important non-skiing things and rest up :smile:

Keep having fun out on the slopes, everyone!

MissySki

Angel Diva
As this has now kinda become my season skiing journal thread, too...

Day 21! I'm an adult!
Tried something completely new and out of my comfort zone: drove & tail-roped an unloaded toboggan, then attempted a loaded one (driving) but decided half the run was enough on my weak leg. Was getting a bit tired, snow was thick, and our training night goal is always "learn stuff, but don't get hurt!". That, and upcoming DivaEast! Still don't know if loaded toboggans are in my future, but got some good advice and worked up quite a sweat. Swept a couple cruisers with the night patrol crew for a nice cool-down under snow-like (mixed graupel?) flurries.

Smoother turn linkage was starting to click on a few runs, overcoming my tendency to hold onto pressuring the outside ski too long around the turn, even when engaging the LTE. The whole "tip lead" discussion (thanks @MissySki) has apparently helped me quite a bit these past couple days!

Absolute success tonight! Progress, not perfection. Always a journey!
Tomorrow will be a day off to do important non-skiing things and rest up :smile:

Keep having fun out on the slopes, everyone!
How cool! I’ve always been curious what it’s like to drive a sled, especially loaded.. that sounds challenging!

Glad the tip lead thread has helped you latch onto some technique work. Always great to hash these things out with the Divas! :smile:

shadoj

Angel Diva
How cool! I’ve always been curious what it’s like to drive a sled, especially loaded.. that sounds challenging!

Glad the tip lead thread has helped you latch onto some technique work. Always great to hash these things out with the Divas! :smile:
I love this place :smile: The in-person meetup is gonna be even better!

I'm ~105lbs; frontside sleds are ~70lbs? I'm guessing I had the most consistent technique of the never-evers in our group of 3 (or they just wanted to make me work!), though #2 was a capable, reliable partner.

The runs went as follows:

1) Me drive, #2 rope (empty)
2) Me rope, #2 drive (empty)
3) Me rope, #3 drive (empty)
4) Me drive, #2 rope (#3 in sled as victim)

#3 is a big guy - not fat, but likely nearly twice my weight. Muscle does that.

With our wet-powder on top of groomed hardpack, it was hard to get enough braking angle on a gentle slope without just getting pushed by the toboggan, but the chain break would grind you to a halt and it could be hard to keep up speed as you hit a slight uphill/flat. Wow.

I think I just need to keep adding sandbags in increments to build strength. Or, I'll just rescue infants for now... Crazy ski babies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly