• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How many days have you skied so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Just finished my annual January stay at my home mountain in northern Virginia, Massanutten. Very glad there was a cold snap just in time to allow a few days of snowmaking.
For how brown the sides are, that run looks lovely! Kudos to your awesome snowmakers :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
For how brown the sides are, that run looks lovely! Kudos to your awesome snowmakers :smile:
In Virginia, it's very rare to have any white except on the trails. Massanutten has been constantly upgrading the snowmaking infrastructure in the last decade in order to be able to open new terrain. The trails were planned back in the 1970s, but there was no way to make enough snow until recently.

shadoj

Angel Diva
In Virginia, it's very rare to have any white except on the trails. Massanutten has been constantly upgrading the snowmaking infrastructure in the last decade in order to be able to open new terrain. The trails were planned back in the 1970s, but there was no way to make enough snow until recently.
It's always something... growing up in ND, we had no shortage of cold temps... moisture content could be a problem, but that could be accounted for... main issue was the 6" per mile gradient to the land! :rotf:

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Screenshot_20230118_072242_Chrome.jpgA lot of snow over night. Still snowing.
This photo is from the Aspen Snowmass App now. This one is at the snow stake of the Aspen mountain.
It is a fantastic app. There is mountain photos section that shows base area, round shot at the top, and a snow stake of all four mountains.

Download it if you are visiting!

Last edited:

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Just finished my annual January stay at my home mountain in northern Virginia, Massanutten. Very glad there was a cold snap just in time to allow a few days of snowmaking. Along with a couple days at Timberline in WV, skied at least few hours on 8 days. Together with the 10 days in Colorado in December, that makes the total so far 18.

New blue trail Ridgecrest on the upper mountain at Massanutten
View attachment 20082
What is the elevation? Looks so flat and not much snow.....

marzNC

Angel Diva
What is the elevation? Looks so flat and not much snow.....
Massanutten is a couple hours west of Washington DC. It's been around for over 50 years. Vertical is 1100 ft, more than any ski resort in Pennsylvania. Have you ever skied in the mid-Atlantic? It's a different experience than in the Rockies but can be plenty of fun, especially when skiing with friends and children learning to ski. It's my home mountain because I can drive there and meet up with friends. It was a bonus that last weekend my daughter was able to join in now that she's working after graduating from college last year.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
It was freezing fog today. I had to scrape my goggles every 12-20 turns. I was encased in ice like I'd been dipped in shellac. I tried to knock it off before I went indoors, but accomplished very little. So when I went in, I was suddenly soaked within minutes. Everything got Nikwaxed this PM.

Close-up of ice.
View attachment 20091
I see......
It was so cold and had so much moisture in the air here in Aspen, CO also. It kept snowing till 8 PM or so.
My neck warmer that was covering the lower part of my face was frozen hard. It could stood up if I took it off. My hair was also partially frozen.
Then, my goggle lens started to fog and freeze. I lasted 3 hours. Doh!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ironically, an advantage of skiing in the southeast is that it's usually over 30 during the day. That means even if the groomer tracks are firm first thing in the morning, the snow will soften by 9:30 or 10:00 . . . in Jan-Feb. My last runs at Massanutten earlier this week were in the clouds at the peak, with a slight drizzle for 15 min, on nice soft snow and temps in the low 40s.

For the families who didn't go home on MLK Day, it was a great morning for a lesson.

Massanutten peak in the clouds, January 17, 2023
Mnut peak cloud 17Jan - 1.jpeg

shadoj

Angel Diva
@sibhusky - Did you manage to stay a little drier today? Still need to make it back to Whitefish someday. Took the train out there with my family as a kid :smile: And yes, we were in a frozen fog cloud!

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We in New England are quite familiar with this glazed donut effect. The snow is often buttery smooth while we get glazed.
Uh huh! Years ago I was at Choate and skied somewhere not far from campus in Wallingford CT on what had to be the coldest, wettest day in state history because my jacket on the upper arm became artfully layered in ice. I remember thinking doesn’t this only happen in places like Maine, Montana, the Arctic Circle? @sibhusky has that memory beat with her photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna