• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How many cities??

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just in Michigan and had someone ask me where Utah is. I misunderstood and thought they meant "where in Utah (are you from)", and they went no, "Where is Utah? like, is it on the West Coast?"

I think the geographically challenged issue is pretty widespread across the country, unfortunately.

Because you have a huge country it might be easy for some people to get geographically challenged - they just give up remembering what is where especially if they've never been:smile:

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just in Michigan and had someone ask me where Utah is. I misunderstood and thought they meant "where in Utah (are you from)", and they went no, "Where is Utah? like, is it on the West Coast?"

LOL! I called my bank once to put a travel alert on my credit card before a trip to Morocco. The agent on the phone was confused when I told her where I was going.

Her: "Morocco? Is that part of Spain?"
Me: "No, Morocco as in the country."
Her: "There's a country called Morocco?"

I guess it's not only Americans who are geographically challenged.

C

CMCM

I've lived/worked in 5 foreign countries, went to 20 different schools as a kid (Air Force dad), and have traveled extensively in 55 countries, doubt I could even list them all from memory right now although I actually have a list somewhere. Needless to say, my husband and I were traveling fools (we worked abroad as teachers), and before that, my Dad was stationed in England when I was a kid so I spent a lot of my childhood there. Aside from the U.S., here's where I lived overseas:
England - 6 years
Ireland - 1 year
France - 1 year
Iran - 2 years
Saudi Arabia - 8 years

Tvan

Angel Diva
I've lived in the northeast of the US for all of my life, so my list of "places lived" is relatively short. I travel for work (and pleasure), though, and in the past few years I've been to a number of cities in the US and overseas.

This year has been notable - I've spent a total of 16 weeks in one city: Shanghai, China.

And now, I'm glad to be home in CT, THINKING SNOW.

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok ... the lived in list;;;
Montreal, Quebec
Trois Riviers, Quebec,
Perth, Ontario (more town than city)
Ottawa, Ontario
La Jolla, California
San Clemente, California
San Juan Capistrano, California
Oceanside, California
Hanalei Bay, Kauai

Like most of you, the visited list is really too long to list.
Hanalei Bay! Awesome, love, love, love it there...the two lane bridges stop just there...

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The lived list:

Redding, CA
Eureka, CA
Chico, CA
Pleasanton, CA
Bountiful, Ut
Kaysville, Ut
Kailua, Hi
Salt Lake City, Ut
Fair Oaks, CA
Sacramento, CA
San Francisco, CA
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Won't bother with the visited list...also a traveling fool of sorts...

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ok, let's see if I can remember the order still:
Durham, NH; Attleboro, MA ; Aversa, Italy; Almelo, NL; Attleboro, MA; Eindhoven, NL; London, GB; Heidelberg, D; Providence, RI; Brussels, B; Gex, F; Albuquerque, NM; Montreal, Canada; Pasadena, CA; Los Alamos, NM; Morristown, NJ; Dublin, Ireland; Cranford, NJ; Waterloo, ON.
I'm sure I've forgotten something. And another move coming up this summer, like it or not. Just don't know where to yet. Sigh.

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Durham, NH; Attleboro, MA ; Aversa, Italy; Almelo, NL; Attleboro, MA; Eindhoven, NL; London, GB; Heidelberg, D; Providence, RI; Brussels, B; Gex, F; Albuquerque, NM; Montreal, Canada; Pasadena, CA; Los Alamos, NM; Morristown, NJ; Dublin, Ireland; Cranford, NJ; Waterloo, ON.
I'm sure I've forgotten something. And another move coming up this summer, like it or not. Just don't know where to yet. Sigh.

Apparently you're not fussed with transatlantic moves...I find it daunting...came here with clothes and books and step by step, filled a house, and then some...

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, the first 6 were when I was a kid, but I guess I never thought about it much and it didn't phase me. By then I guess I didn't know any better, so I kept moving. Then I married a physicist and a series of post-docs followed. I think I've finally reached the point where I really don't want to move anymore. DD2 starts high school this next year, I too have an overfull house, and am just plain tired of fixing up a house for myself and then having to sell. And now that I've rediscovered skiing and gotten hooked, I do not want to move where there is no hill nearby.

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Husband was just offered a job on Friday in Ghana....

thought about how long it takes me to get to the Alps from here, and how I'm beginning to think 21 ski days a year, actually isn't soooooooo much, then said
"No.
Let me rephrase that.
Hell No."

Unless he'd considered living in Ghana, and me and the girls could move next door to Snow Addict. Smack in the middle of Chamonix and Verbier....

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where I've lived:

Erie and Philly, PA
Wetumpka, AL (what? you've never heard of it? Right down the road from Slapout, AL, because you have to go slap out of town to get there, no lie.)
Montevallo and Birmingham, AL
Athens, Jefferson, Gainesville, Augusta (aka Disgusta, but home of the Masters Gold Tourny), and Blairsville, GA
Alton, NH
Boothbay Harbor, ME

You know, looking at this list I feel pretty blessed. I've lived in some places people love to visit, like Alton, Boothbay Harbor, Athens, Augusta (but only for golf), Blairsville (GA mtns), Philly. Then there's Wetumpka, though...so maybe you don't want to visit, but the people sure are good. They did film "Big Fish" there. Our claim to fame.

Visited? Many. Dad was very frugal, but we traveled every year to someplace educational, and it was a great education. I've been most major places east of the Mississippi, a few west, but internationally only Canada (PEI), Germany, Austria, Britain, and Costa Rica. I think some parts of Maine should qualify as international travel, too!

I have a friend who has visited/lived in all of the seven continents. Her last conquest was Antarctica. She's such a cool friend! (Cool as in groovy, not as in cold, though Antarctica is cold.)

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
WOW! This thread could easily be overwhelming!!!!

Where I've lived? Garden City NY, Manhasset NY, Fort Wayne IN, Salamanca Spain, Perkinsville VT, Spartanburg SC, Mobile AL, Columbia SC, Woodstock VT

Countries I've been in? USA, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Canada (5 provinces +2 briefly in travels), Bahamas, Aruba, Venezuela, Granada, Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Kitts & St. Croix, England, Northern Ireland and Ireland (Germany is in my plans!)

States? It's easier to say which I've NOT been to: Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota(did land there), Missouri, Oklahoma, Rhode Island. In the rest of the states, I've been to most of the major cities including San Juan and other cities of Puerto Rico and Washington, DC

Working Red Cross disasters has taken me to many places I might otherwise have not seen and given me many more nifty experiences!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So NM is not in the list of states you haven't been- any chance you were there with the Red Cross for the Cerro Grande fire back in 2000?

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
So NM is not in the list of states you haven't been- any chance you were there with the Red Cross for the Cerro Grande fire back in 2000?

No, I believe they staffed that one with folks who live closer. I was in NM to visit my aunt and cousins who lived in Albequerque. I also visited Sandia Crest and Santa FE. And I paid for a ski trip to Taos 2-3 years ago, but was injured the week before and didn't get to go (waaahh!)

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unfortunately I hadn't gotten back to skiing yet when I lived in NM, so haven't gotten to ski Taos either. Sure felt like they had Red Cross from just about everywhere after the fire.

SkadiSkiGrrl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
According to my Trip Advisor map app I have lived in:

Babylon, New York
New Port Richey, Florida
Lenoir, North Carolina
Tampa, Florida
San Antonio, Texas
New York City, New York
Mainz, Germany
Wiesbaden, Germany
Munich, Germany
Stuttgart, Germany
Paris, France
York, Pennsylvania
College Park, Maryland
Minneapolis, Minnesota
St. Louis Park, Minnesota
Newton, Massachusetts
Boston, Massachusetts

I think that is all of them. I think it's time for another move!

I have visited at least 300 cities, mostly thanks to Europe's wonderful railway system and youth rail passes. They have adult versions, too. And, if you are amenable to camping or staying at youth hostels and procuring most of your meals from grocery stores rather than fine dining establishments, you can do Europe on a shoestring. I recommend it to EVERYONE!

Countries I have visited for at least 5 days:

Canada (Quebec), France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Greece, Switzerland, Austria, England, Cambodia, Vietnam, PCR, Malaysia.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, I'm so provincial compared to most Divas. I am an Iowa corn-fed girl who got transplanted in H.S. to Utah in the late 60's----discovering the mountains/skiing/desert saved me.

Lived, as in stayed in/paid rent or mortgage in houses:

Des Moines, Iowa
Ankeny, Iowa
Salt Lake City (culture shocked, went to AK)
Second home: Island Park, ID----(west of West Yellowstone, MT)

Lived---as in camped, squatted, lived in dinky dorm rooms and spent quality time/months in:

McKinley Park (aka Denali) summers during college early 70's.

MOAB, UT---all sorts of arrangements over past 40 years count?

Jackson, WY----spent vast amounts of time in Tetons/Jackson for over 40 years---does that count?

Visited for extended times recently and will visit regularly in the future: Czech Republic, Brno/Prague/Moravian countryside.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll take a shot at it. I'm including parks because they're the most significant places I've lived.

Easton, CT
Annandale-on-Hudson, NY
Red Hook, NY
Tivoli, NY
Binghamton, NY
Bluff, UT
Moab, UT
Deadhorse Point State Park, UT
Moab, UT (four times)
Maze District, Canyonlands NP, UT
Needles District, Canyonlands NP, UT (twice)
Santa Rosa, CA
Berlin, MD
Cumberland Island National Seashore, GA
Durango, CO
Long Island City, Queens, NY
Flushing, Queens, NY
Manitou Springs, CO
Salt Lake City, UT

Next someone has to start a thread listing all the things we've done for a living. I'd love to see some of your past 'professions'!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Add Stoneham, MA to the list. Should really be doing something move related now, I'm sure. 9 days until the movers start packing, 14 days until we pile into the cars and head out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly