• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How long do you stay sore for after a workout?

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I'm someone who admittedly seems to get sore pretty easily, but.. I've been doing these workout classes during lunch once per week because they are free to members of my company at the gym downstairs. The class is with a personal trainer and there have only been three of us showing up which is great because it's practically a private session. However, it has been kicking my a*#!! Today was my third class, and it was actually a bit better than the last two, but we'll see when the soreness sets in tomorrow. Last week my triceps were so sore it hurt to buckle my seatbelt or put on my purse from Friday through Tuesday, like I'd flinch when I did those movements and on the Friday (day 1 post workout) my arms were so heavy feeling it was a lot of effort to do normal things or just lift them. The week before, my shoulders were sore because we did a lot of exercises where you were in a plank position. This week we focused on abs, and I'm scared to see how that's going to feel tomorrow!

Is this normal??? Am I pushing myself too hard or perhaps using bad form if I am so sore afterward? Hopefully each week will get better? I've never been so sore before as recently, and it seems to kind of an excessive amount..

We do HIIT and she switched up the exercises and target points each week. I've never been the biggest fan of HIIT in general, but I feel like it's such a good way to get in a workout midday at work, helps avoid excuses before and after work for skipping workouts! My cardio also needs improvement, so this helps get a lot of stuff in in a short amount of time.

Over the summer we did the same type of thing for 8 weeks with another trainer who I now believe went WAY easier on us because I was sore week one, but then was fine after that. Perhaps this trainer is just tougher and ihappens to be focusing on areas that I'm weak in?

Any thoughts on how to help recovery along quicker each week?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since this summer you were fine, Sounds like you may be pushing or being pushed a tad too hard. Very normal to be sore until muscles get stretched and used. I'm always sore but only a day or 2 when I get back into weights or other strenuous workout. I have a wii 'boxing program that kicks my a** I can hardly walk but after 2-3days I'm good to go.

I am a huge fan of sauna/hot tub heat after big workouts to let the muscle relax.
AND If available I have stood in a sauna Before working out for a few minutes I stretch in there to get the muscles warmed up. and I use my favorite Arnica for really sore achy muscles

also massage helps :-)
Make Sure you are drinking LOTS of water to avoid lactic acid in the muscles!
Good going on working out. Don't stop just dial it back a bit!
If you stop you'll have to work thru the pain again!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Since this summer you were fine, Sounds like you may be pushing or being pushed a tad too hard. Very normal to be sore until muscles get stretched and used. I'm always sore but only a day or 2 when I get back into weights or other strenuous workout. I have a wii 'boxing program that kicks my a** I can hardly walk but after 2-3days I'm good to go.

I am a huge fan of sauna/hot tub heat after big workouts to let the muscle relax.
AND If available I have stood in a sauna Before working out for a few minutes I stretch in there to get the muscles warmed up. and I use my favorite Arnica for really sore achy muscles

also massage helps :-)
Make Sure you are drinking LOTS of water to avoid lactic acid in the muscles!
Good going on working out. Don't stop just dial it back a bit!
If you stop you'll have to work thru the pain again!

Hmmmm there are saunas in the locker room, perhaps a good reason to use it afterward!

I definitely don't drink enough water, I'm really bad with barely drinking throughout the day at all except a little with meals..

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmmm there are saunas in the locker room, perhaps a good reason to use it afterward!

I definitely don't drink enough water, I'm really bad with barely drinking throughout the day at all except a little with meals..

Ahhh..Make yourself drink water, how about decafe tea? I'll bet it's lactic acid in your muscles and Yes to Sauna. Before and after, before workouts I just do side bends, toe touches nothing extreme but then when you work out seems easier to me and after is really relaxing, not sure I'd be able to go back to work though...

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Remember its the lactic acid that is breaking down your muscles and signaling to your body that they need to be repaired and strengthened. I used to walk a lot after strenuous workouts to get the LA out but then realized it was likely impeding my strength gains.

Christy

Angel Diva
Lactic acid doesn't cause muscle soreness. That is old thinking. My understanding is that the soreness is from all the tiny little fibers tearing (and then they repair and that's how you develop strength) from exercises you aren't used to doing (or not used to doing at that intensity). I'm not sure about this, but I wonder if it's the once a week interval that's the issue--maybe that's not enough to build strength so you will be sore after each time.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Water but also eating for recovery is important. You should have some protein and carbohydrate within 30 minutes of completing your workout. Doesn't hurt to take a little Vitamin I if you need to.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Water but also eating for recovery is important. You should have some protein and carbohydrate within 30 minutes of completing your workout. Doesn't hurt to take a little Vitamin I if you need to.

^ beat me too posting (as I was typing the same thing).

Along with that...STRETCHING! If you're not doing it as part of the class, dynamic stretches pre-workout, and static stretches after (and before bed if needed).

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
+1 on arnica & sauna. But it just sounds like it's working. Address your concerns with the trainer, though, if you want, she might allay your fears. Here's an article on signs of over-training: 6 Signs You’re Overtraining

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you can throw in one more somewhat similar workout per week, that should help. If not, I'd dial back the intensity to a level YOU'RE comfortable with. The instructor should be able to help you modify the exercises to a level that won't cause so much soreness.

MissySki

Angel Diva
+1 on arnica & sauna. But it just sounds like it's working. Address your concerns with the trainer, though, if you want, she might allay your fears. Here's an article on signs of over-training: 6 Signs You’re Overtraining

I did describe my soreness to the trainer yesterday from last week, and she didn't seem concerned, she was just like yeah we did do a lot of x, y, and z. Fwiw there is another girl who seemed to have the same soreness I did on this one, though we could probably both be out of shape!

In the summer I was also doing yoga once or twice per week, perhaps the stretching helped. I've been trying to get back to that, but scheduling has been an issue.

I will also try and eat sooner. I'd say I probably eat lunch within an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes of ending the class. Thirty minutes is tough since it's probably around 15 just to get changed and presentable to go back up to work. Perhaps it would be good to bring a protein bar or something with me that I can have handy to snack on quickly afterward.

For the sauna, I've never really used one therapeutically, just when I happen to see one at a resort usually and I'm already in a bathing suit etc. What is the etiquette in a locker room? How long do you stay in, and do you wear your work out clothes in, a bathing suit, or just a towel?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Grab a chocolate milk, or even an almond milk afterward, since chocolate milk is full of sugar. Cheap and easy.

Jilly

Staff member
I might be sore the day or two after a extreme workout, or a new focus, but not for a week. I'm doing personal training 2X a week. If I'm able I throw in another cardio at the local Planet Fitness as it's membership is dirt cheap.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What you are experiencing is delayed onset muscle soreness or simply DOMS. It occurs after either the increase in intensity of excercises that you are already doing or the introduction of new exercise. The cause is unknown - some studies suggest it can be caused by the combination of 3 chemicals released during excercise, microtrauma or perhaps even a mild form of rhabdo. They don’t know for sure. Unfortunately there is nothing that you can do for it that has been proven to work other than to continue working out. It’s a temporary state of adjustment that will go away on it’s own once the body adapts.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What is the etiquette in a locker room? How long do you stay in, and do you wear your work out clothes in, a bathing suit, or just a towel?
Assuming the sauna is for women only, I take off my clothes and just take a towel in, primarily to lie down on. If you're modest, you can take 2 towels, one to wrap around and one to sit on. Co-ed saunas, bathing suit (but ick).

MissySki

Angel Diva
What you are experiencing is delayed onset muscle soreness or simply DOMS. It occurs after either the increase in intensity of excercises that you are already doing or the introduction of new exercise. The cause is unknown - some studies suggest it can be caused by the combination of 3 chemicals released during excercise, microtrauma or perhaps even a mild form of rhabdo. They don’t know for sure. Unfortunately there is nothing that you can do for it that has been proven to work other than to continue working out. It’s a temporary state of adjustment that will go away on it’s own once the body adapts.

I did come up with DOMS while searching for my symptoms online as well. I wonder if it is something that gets worse with age since the most recent soreness seems to be the worst I've experienced and I've certainly done a lot more intense exercise programs at different times in my life than this. Though I do tend to get quite sore legs the first few days of skiing each year and after long hikes etc., so perhaps in some form I've always had it. I always saw this as pretty normal though. I think it was most apparent this time because it was so extreme in my arms whereas when it's been in my legs it can be bad, but goes away in a couple of days while this lingered far more than usual.

I definitely will not give up, and will be continuing to add more days and activities into the mix so hopefully staying with it will help. Need to find a new yoga day that works with my schedule as well.

The good news today is that while I'm definitely aware of my abs, which were a big focus of yesterday's session, it seems like a normal soreness versus the arms last week.. Though we'll see if it stays that way or worsens over the course of the day.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Assuming the sauna is for women only, I take off my clothes and just take a towel in, primarily to lie down on. If you're modest, you can take 2 towels, one to wrap around and one to sit on. Co-ed saunas, bathing suit (but ick).

I believe they are for women only (there is a wet and dry sauna side by side, which do you use?) , but I guess I'm not positive.. I will have to pay more attention next time I'm there if they are in the actual hallway leading to the women's locker room, or through the entrance itself once into it because now that I'm trying to picture it, I'm not totally sure. Certainly don't want to get any surprises there! :laughter:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes to this. So, either keep pushing until you adapt, or push a little less until you adapt. Your body is adapting to the stress of the new exercise, which is not a bad thing as that's what you want it to do, but there certainly IS a threshold that can be considered "too much" and yes, it does get lower as you get older. I don't know that DOMS gets worse as we get old, but your joints and soft tissues that support them definitely suffer more as we get older. The tendons and ligaments lose their elasticity and just don't support like they used to. It's why keeping the muscles strong is SO important as we age!

When I was in college, I was taught the 48/96 hour rule. If you do the same activity (that pushes hard, this was specifically in regards to weight training) then it was too frequently, if you wait 96 hours between doing the same activity, then you would lose the benefits. I don't know that I 100% subscribe to this, but as a general rule, it's not a bad one to apply, PARTICULARLY in regards to strength training. I'd never tell anyone OR myself that I can't ski every day ;) BUT just like biking in the summer, it's wise to vary up the intensity and duration of the time on skis or the bike, and have a straight up rest day in there, even if I go for a hike or walk. Change it up. There are a lot of other factors (intensity of the exercise, for one) that play into the 48/96 hour rule.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna