• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How Good Are the Smith Chromapop Lenses/Goggles?

newboots

Angel Diva
I have the I/O Mag S and love them. I bought another pair from the evo site a couple days ago (last years colors) for my 9yo too.
Hope you got a bargain! And so glad you dropped by -

:welcome:

I LOVE my Smith I/O Mag S Chromapop goggles with Chroma Photochromic Rose Flash, they have been perfect for the New England conditions I've skied in. Highly recommend. I wear a Smith helmet too and they fit together really well.

Jilly

Staff member
I just got a pair and a new helmet Smith helmet. What a difference! I can see!! Same as @ski now work later Smith I/O Mag.

Like being back in real vision made goggle. I've been skiing with Salomon's as they were the only thing that fit me and Salomon helmet. But the optics were not good and the lenses scratched easily. Even with the Ski Diva goggle sock.

I just got a pair and a new helmet Smith helmet. What a difference! I can see!! Same as @ski now work later Smith I/O Mag.

Like being back in real vision made goggle. I've been skiing with Salomon's as they were the only thing that fit me and Salomon helmet. But the optics were not good and the lenses scratched easily. Even with the Ski Diva goggle sock.
Nice! I have the Smith Vantage MIPS helmet, the '19 version. Love that helmet and the goggles. Bring on the snow!

knolan12

Angel Diva
Anyone have any issues with fogging? I currently have a pair of Blenders goggles and they keep fogging on me. I have a Smith helmet so I was looking at these for a better fit.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I have not had any issues with fogging, but fwiw, I can feel anxious/claustrophobic when I’m skiing with my face covered, so despite the profile pic … I mostly ski with my nose and mouth exposed. Then I pull my gaiter/hood up on the lift.

knolan12

Angel Diva
Good to know! I don't cover my mouth/nose either unless it's ridiculously cold.

Do we think the magnetized lenses are worth the extra cost? My current ones are snap ins and I don't think it's that annoying so hard to justify the cost of the magnetized ones haha

elemmac

Angel Diva
Do we think the magnetized lenses are worth the extra cost? My current ones are snap ins and I don't think it's that annoying so hard to justify the cost of the magnetized ones haha
If you're comparing the I/O Mag to a regular I/O...personally, yes, I think it's worth the extra cost, unless you're not planning on ever swapping lenses. When I change them in the I/O version I always have my fingers all over the lens, leaving fingerprints and smudges, whereas the Mag version I can swap them on the fly and can get them in/out with just grabbing the edges.

Generally speaking, I hate changing them in my regular I/O goggles (so generally don't), but I change them regularly in my MAG version. Other people might just be better than me at changing the snap-in type.

knolan12

Angel Diva
This makes sense! I do switch out my current ones based on conditions so I definitely do see myself using this feature.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've been using IO/S for quite a while. Only reason I haven't switched to the Mag version is that I ended up with a collection of frames from a closeout sale a while back. Almost worked my way through that supply. Then I'll be paying attention to sale prices for IO/S Mag.

Before the Chromapop lenses came out, I changed lenses regularly. Out west at big resorts, I would usually carry a second lens either in an inside jacket pocket or in my small backpack.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Do we think the magnetized lenses are worth the extra cost?
Absolutely. After struggling to change out the IO/X lens during a snow storm at the top of Keystone and had to google to find out how (afraid I was going to break something if I forced the wrong bits), I bought the I/O Mag XL and never looked back. It was very easy to change at Taos when over the course of the week went from bluebird to snow storm to bluebird.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
One more for magnet yes. I HATE changing goggle lenses (plus, I have 2 kids, so it’s never just changing my own lenses). the MAG are phenomenal.

ALSO … I got the photochromic lenses so that’s one LESS change I have to do. I plan to get the clear lens for night seeing, but haven’t needed it this season.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I just went for the half off deal I/O S Mag Chromapop at REI ! So tired of swapping out lenses the hard way with my I/O S Smith goggles.
What diva game me this half off information? Well that was the impetus to get me to switch to the magnetic ones...
Got the white floral w sun platinum lenses

knolan12

Angel Diva
Also bought the Squad Mag, received them yesterday and wow! Talk about easy to switch out lenses and I love the look.

Evo is also having a sale and I'm going to order my husband a pair for his birthday (I made him try mine on first to make sure he liked them haha).

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also bought the Squad Mag, received them yesterday and wow! Talk about easy to switch out lenses and I love the look.

Evo is also having a sale and I'm going to order my husband a pair for his birthday (I made him try mine on first to make sure he liked them haha).
I ended up ordering both the Squad Mag and I/O S in December. Between the two, decided I liked the Squad better as it had a better field of view for me (perhaps I would have preferred the standard I/O size, but that wasn't one of the sale options when I was ordering). Additionally, while the magnets make for easy-swap lenses in both, I found the hold/release mechanism to be different between the two and preferred that of the Squad.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HEARD.

I have older-model Smith IO/S goggles with Storm Rose and whatever the slightly more light-blocking green lens is. They are great; I have blue eyes that are hyper-sensitive to light and those two lenses are 98% all I ever need in Vermont. Yeah, flat light is always a struggle, but the rose lenses are good. Better than clear, and a little better than the yellow lenses. Even better when I can be arsed to put my contacts in. :smile:

Are the lenses as good as the companies all claim? Nope. Sometimes the light is just difficult. But I've been happy with my Smiths-- good visibility and heckin' durable.
Second this. I have Smith Virtue with storm rose and wear them in all conditions except night skiing (try to avoid that as much as possible).

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump:

If anyone is interested in Smith I/O MAG or I/O MAG S ChromaPop goggles, there are still sale prices on googles online. Saw some on Backcountry recently.

I shifted from I/OS with the old style interchangeable lenses last season. Already knew I liked the ChromaPop lenses. Magnetic is the way to go.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just bought new-but-discontinued pair of IO/S goggles that have the old lens system. The foam in my old IO/S pair was starting to degrade, but I have a bunch of perfectly fine lenses for them and didn't want to spend a ton of money to buy new magnetic lenses. So if anyone's interested, you can still find a new pair of IO/S goggles with a little searching around the web.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly