• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How far do you travel to ski?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I've noticed that some of us here (like Liquidfeet) really have to travel to get to skiing. It's a true testament to their commitment. But what's it like for the rest of us?

During the winter, when I'm mostly in Vermont, I'm only about 5 minutes from Okemo, and 20 minutes from Killington.

If I stayed in PA (my primary residence til I can sell my house in this #%@*! dreadful real estate market), I'd have an hour to go to the Poconos. Which I wouldn't do, anyway, because I really don't like skiing there (for more on how wonderful it is, see Phil on EpicSki.com).

I consider myself really lucky to have such a short drive (in Vermont). But then again, that's why I chose to be there.

What about you?

Jilly

Staff member
Well I'm like our SKi Diva. When I'm at Tremblant we're slopeside. But home is 4 1/2 hours away. Home is Ontario hills, but they are all over 1 hours drive and not really worth it after the mountains. I do teach at a local bump that is about 250 vertical feet. Hey it gets people sliding and its only 15 min away. I don't think I would ever pay to ski there, so teaching night skiing classes keeps the legs in shape. I would rather drive to ski every other weekend then have to put up with local hills around here.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
AND as you've already perhaps read, I travel 2 1/2 (sometimes 3) hours to ski in NH every weekend once the mountains open, and then home again to MA. This season, in addition, on Wednesdays I'll travel 1 1/2 hours to Wachusett in MA to do a 7:00-9:00 am morning race class, followed by all day doing - what - skiing??? what else?? - followed by a night race that night at 7:00 pm, followed by results later in the bar. How oh how OH HOW will I manage that? I teach the next morning back at home. Oh No! Oh WOW! WHOOPEE! Oh NO! How did I get myself into this?

(I need a place to nap in the afternoon, but the van will likely be cold!!!!!!!!!!)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
liquidfeet said:
How oh how OH HOW will I manage that?

Take your vitamins, eat well, and get your car tuned up and your tires checked.

I have a feeling we're not going to hear a lot from you this winter.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got the tires - new snow tires! And you may be right about hearing from me this winter. I just won't have time. But isn't that OK, given what I'll be doing instead??????????????

cnewbound

Certified Ski Diva
In Australia it takes me around half an hour to get to work each morning. But if there is any snow on the road, it can take up to one and a half.. the roads here to the resorts are really nasty..

In Vermont, i think its like 10min... which is much better!!

Marigee

Angel Diva
The closest ski hills to me are 1 1/2 hours away in PA. Mid-atlantic skiing isn't great, but it is all I have got! We take two or more trips out west and sometimes go to Snowshoe or Timberline in West Virginia. Those are the closest "decent" mountains (about 3 1/2 - 4 hours away.

My goal this year is to travel to the "close" ski hills about once a week - if we have good ski weather.

This year I will be going west 3 times - and would like to tory to drive somewhere in the NE (maybe VT) during a long school holiday in January.

So - I have to travel far to get good skiing, but not far to get okay skiing.

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You've heard it all before... Closest ski area to me is a 17 hour drive. Not many (read none) quick weekend trips. :(

chaletlaforet

Certified Ski Diva
You all make me jealous! ---> green!:D

We can get from London to Chamonix in 5 hours door-to-door, and that's very good going for the UK. It takes about the same, if not more, to get to Scotland. Still - one day we will be moving to Chamonix, I very much hope, and it will all be different then :smile:

So normally 5 hours, but we have had some epic trips - Getting to Whistler was 48 hrs (though that included a day in Vancouver), and getting to Breckenridge was around 18 I think:eek:

One day, I'd love to go to Japan, that will be the longest ever I think...

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Marigee and I seem to be in the same area. Like her, it takes me about 2 hours to get to skiing. Sometimes more if I go on a weeknight and hit all the after-work traffic.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We live about an hour from Jay in the winter time (maybe 50 minutes on dry roads or in summer). I wish we could afford a condo near the mountain so we could spend weekends there, but we can't. So, skiing both days on a weekend means driving back and forth on both days.

However, that's far better than when I lived in MA and southern CT and it would take at least 4 hours to get to the "southernmost areas" of northern VT (rarely skied south of Sugarbush). Best thing I ever did was just "up and move" to Vermont. ;) And when I lived in LA and southern Orange County, the drive to the nearest mountain was about 90 minutes (favorite was Mt. Baldy, a retro resort, of course).

We take several trips out West each year. Since we live in VT and like to ski the more remote areas, it usually means at least 16 hours of travel (usually more like 20) with driving to airports, waiting in airports and connections in airports, then driving to the resort. However, it always ends up to be worth it! :D

Chaletlaforet: I sure hope you have lots of floor space once you move to Chamonix! :D

Thatsagirl

ArmyWife

Certified Ski Diva
How far do you travel??? How about this one. When we were stationed in Hawaii we flew to Washington State once to go skiing (Crystal Mtn) and then the next year--to Whistler. I think that is faaaaaaaarrrrrrrr enough.

Now we're in Florida! Can't win! Maybe some day...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly