• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How far apart should you space races?

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What's the general opinion on how frequently you should "race"? I'm looking at the events calendar for next year and trying to plan which races I want to do. Already signed up for the Quarter Marathon on April 3rd and I know 2 weeks before will be a 2 mile race and 3 weeks after I can do a 5K or 10K. Would this be spaced out enough? I'm actually not all that worried about the 2-miler... it's the Quarter and 10K (aiming for 10K since I'd be doing close to the same mileage anyway earlier in the month) that I'm wondering about.

One thing is sure...need to do a better job preparing. My progress has been slow this time with returning to running; weight isn't coming off anywhere near as quickly and as a result, harder to add mileage. Still, I'm keeping at it...

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Severine,
What I would do in this situation is pick one those races that you are going to go all out.The others should maybe be training runs.For istance I wouldn't run the 2 miler for an all out mostly because it would not be a benchmark race(not alot of 2 mile races around.Don't see many 1/4 marathons either.So for myself I would pick the 10k or the 5k to really race.Others should be used as maybe learning about pacing,hydrating and just in general going the distance.There are so many variables out there.Pick 1 to really go for!

Good luck!

T

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can see your point. The 2-miler was going to be a warm-up; I ran it this year and wanted to make it a sort of tradition to start the race season with an easy one. Plus they are huge on the festivities so it's a really cool atmosphere. The Quarter Marathon is also rare--I had never seen one before this. If I finish, I get a medal. :laugh: It's going to be a very hilly course, but something I was reaching for. I'm already signed up for that. So your advice is that if I want to go for a benchmark, then my all-out race should be the end of April 5K or 10K? Maybe I'll go with the 5K then. I'm more likely to be able to go all-out for that at that point. :wink:

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thats right,looks too me that you have plenty of recovery time between races.Just make sure on the longer races to run the first half conservatively and bring it up on the second half.I have been guilty of going out too fast and paying for it towards the end.If you train properly there should be no reason you won't finish any of these races!

T

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We (meaning the running club I participate in) generally go by the rule of miles races=days needed for recovery. So for example, you run a 10k, give your body 6-7 days to rest. Half-Marathong=two weeks etc.

Personally, I've been running long enough that I know just by how I feel, but it takes a long time to get to that point. It is hard to say just how close you will be able to space your races. Go with your gut for the upcoming races...if race day comes and you are not feeling it, don't feel bad if you don't race...go for an easy run instead. Rest is under rated.

On the other hand, I personally race too much so take my advice w/ a grain of salt. I will race 2-3 days in a row, but you can only do that for so long...the body does break down. Guess what I'm trying to say is listen to your body, it will tell you better than anyone else can!

-veggielasagna

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm now out of the running game. :( Too many injuries that are related to the impact of the sport... Very disappointed but not worth destroying my body over.

Thanks to all of you for all your support along the way! Guess my running career ended at my 4-mile peak training run in December. That's more than many can say, right? Going to try to get back into biking this summer so I don't go out of my head...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly