• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How do you track your days?

Mrs Hutchins

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I downloaded it this weekend, but haven't used it yet. It seems to be draining the battery really fast... I wonder how accurate it is though. For example the data on gradient skied seems to be very flattering. One of the guys I skied this weekend clocked 47 degrees - now, this is extremely steep. Bec des Rosses has 50-55 and it's a mind blowing mountain where the Extreme Freeride World Tour Final takes place. Pas de Chevre is 33-35 degrees on average with a short stretch of 38-40 degrees and it's considered to be very steep, there is no way we skied anything remotely approaching that kind of steepness. I wonder what the calculations are based on...

I've had major discussion with many people on the accuracy of that particular stat. I'm pretty sure its not calculated in a traditional way, if even calculated correctly.

josiegroper

Certified Ski Diva
At Big Mountain when they scan your pass it records your vertical and will also keep track of how many days you have skied. It is kind of fun to keep track of and to see how you rank with other skiers with passes.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Most of the local hills are very old school. A couple, like Saint-Sauveur, have moved to RFID passes, but most of them still have the printed kind that you stick onto your jacket with the metal doohickey. (Never know what to call it other than that). Tremblant probably has some more gadgets and gizmos because it gets a lot of tourists, but the locals' spots just aren't all that technologically advanced in terms of apps and tracking and scanning and such.

One of the things I love about skiing at some of these places, particularly in the Eastern Townships, is that it's a break from all the technology that's so pervasive in our modern-day life. You can go to a place like Sutton and ride the old-style ski lifts and not have anything beep or ding all day, and then stop off at a little local casse-croûte for pea soup for lunch. So nothing is tracking my vertical, my runs skied or my speed, but I don't care. I don't own a smartphone (deliberately, I might add), and skiing is my break from staring at a screen all day.

Jilly

Staff member
or a bale.

I have to agree with Segacs. I don't own a smart phone either. And I don't keep track of runs skied etc. I do keep track of days and the people I ski with or encounter during the day. Old fashioned calendar or slope squad.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Just signed up for Slopesquad. Seven days so far. Would have been more but it's been too darn cold. Too bad when there's lots of nice snow falling right now.

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
EpicMix does all that stuff for me. It's kinda fun looking at the stats, but I always finish a season thinking I needed more time on the snow! Of course it doesn't track the miles I log XC skiing with my dogs, but I usually use a GPS for that so I can log where the best routes are and follow tracks that I have previously hiked in the summer.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
The one and only time I used one of these apps was at Vail a couple of years ago. It totally drained my battery, and about 2 pm DH needed to reach me and could not.

However, now that I have a Droid Maxx, and the apps are probably more efficient as well, I'll have to download a couple of the ones mentioned here and try them out. I will reread this entire thread with interest before our next ski trip.

Sarah_82

Certified Ski Diva
I like EpicMix for tracking vertical, and the pins are sort of fun. But it's kind of useless for tracking days, since it doesn't count A-Basin, even though it's on the Epic Local pass. And it doesn't count other resorts, like the weekend I spent at Steamboat recently. As much as I like seeing how much vertical I've done for the day, I don't usually bother tracking it when I'm somewhere EpicMix doesn't do it for me. I have apps that will do it, but it drains my phone's battery too fast. And my lately my phone can't seem to handle cold, it's crashed several times when I try using it on the slopes. It is getting a bit old, I'd like to replace it soon. Also, I got a new pass printed this year, and the RFID chip wasn't working, so my first two days at Keystone/ Breck weren't even recorded. I asked to get a new pass printed, and all is working now. I didn't have a ton of vertical on those days anyway, at least.

As for tracking days, I joined Slopesquad last season, and I've also kept just a word document on my desktop, where I record where and when I ski. Along with keeping track of the number, I make notes of waxing, tuning, and any boot issues or adjustments, to keep track of when I need to wax or tune again, or what to tell a bootfitter if I'm having problems. Well, I did that last year, but I only just now started a new document for this year. I'd been tracking days on Slopesquad, and I haven't done much with my equipment, so it was pretty easy to get caught up. Today was only day 9. Last year I got 15 days in before New Year's, though this season I've skied more good snow than at this time last year, just less early season WROD skiing.

B

B.E.G.

Re: battery life.

If you have a smartphone and you turn off Cellular Data (that means calls, e-mails, web browsing can only be done over a Wifi network), it seriously lengthens battery life.

You don't need Cellular Data on for all the GPS tracking apps. I tried it with SkiTracks this weekend, started with 98% and I had 84% battery still halfway through the ski day. And all my runs and data were saved.

ZealouslyB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Re: battery life.

If you have a smartphone and you turn off Cellular Data (that means calls, e-mails, web browsing can only be done over a Wifi network), it seriously lengthens battery life.

You don't need Cellular Data on for all the GPS tracking apps. I tried it with SkiTracks this weekend, started with 98% and I had 84% battery still halfway through the ski day. And all my runs and data were saved.

Ditto with Alpine Replay. Turn the extraneous stuff off before you get on the hill, it won't eat up battery or data.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This has been an abysmal year. Last season I skied 88 days. This year I'm at 52, and honestly, I'm not sure how many more I'll be about to wring out.

Hoping for better things next year.

I just signed up for slopesquad but don't feel like going back and adding all my days this season. I'll use in full force next season. For now though I have a small spiral notebook that I keep in my ski jacket for when I am instructing, I put my days in here.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm on slope squad too, but I still use my calendar. This year I have been adding anything special about the day...who I skied with, conditions etc...
Surfsnowgirl...while instructing a notebook is a good idea. Keep track of hours for pay and clients names...likes and dislikes, exercises for them....We actually had a page for each student during the weekly programs to file everyday.

RX2SKI

Certified Ski Diva
This has been an abysmal year. Last season I skied 88 days. This year I'm at 52, and honestly, I'm not sure how many more I'll be about to wring out.

Hoping for better things next year.

Sorry, that is NOT an abysmal year! ;) My first day skiing was the last day of winter--I only have 2 days in. Luckily, A-Basin is targeting June 5th or later for a closing date so I can still make it into a successful ski season. I'm trying not to play catch-up, and it's terrible that I look at the calendar and try to see how many days I can get in. Hmmm...June 5th could take me to 20-25. No, I can't think that way! :bounce:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I do nothing..Epic Mix records my days... unless I go to different resort... So far at 28 but not done yet... That would be 28 pretty quality days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna