• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How do you sell your old skis?

Jilly

Staff member
The "how old are your skis thread", got me thinking, how DO you get rid of old skis. Some of us have been around skiing all our lives and have a method of rotating skis out of our quivers. This if more for our newer Diva's and maybe some ideas for the rest of us.

I've used Kjiji here in Ontario. I've used Facebook Marketplace. Not really to too much success. We don't have a "play it again sports" locally. But I did find out there is consignment shop at Tremblant. My Rossi MT's are currently there and I hope sold.

We run a thread in the fall about ski swaps. Sometimes you really have to discount your equipment there to make it gone.

How have you successfully sold ski equipment?

Hammie

Certified Ski Diva
I find Facebook marketplace and Kijiji are really best if I want to just give something away. It might be just me, but I find the experience of negotiating with every flaky, cheap, and unreliable weirdo in my city to be exhausting and not worth the relatively small amount of $$ that I get. No matter how clearly the ad is worded, you have to deal with people who can’t seem to read (eg something that’s “$50 FIRM” and the first email is “can I have it for $25”).

However, I’ve had MUCH better luck on our neighbourhood Facebook page. Smaller group, geographically constrained, and either fewer weirdos or they just hide it better. It helps that a lot of people ski, so ski gear tends to get snapped up. Kids gear sells almost immediately. Higher end equipment will take longer to sell, and you might need to do some personal networking to find a buyer.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I've had good luck selling at Mont Habitant (near St. Sauveur in the Laurentians). This isn't "selling" but I've given many skis to my daughters and, more recently, to a granddaughter. It's great to see my old skis bringing joy to my offspring!

Jilly

Staff member
@Hammie , got to agree with you. When I put the Hero MT's up for sale on Kjiji, I was getting all kinds of interest, from MONTREAL. One guy wanted me to deliver them to him on the south shore. Ah....NO, that's 4 hours away from me.

Then you get the people that will give you 1/2 of what you're asking. If I'd wanted that I would have taken them to the local swap.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our mountain ski shop accepts consignments and you get paid in store credit... you set the price but they will give you advice on the price it’s likely to sell at

Jenny

Angel Diva
Our mountain ski shop accepts consignments and you get paid in store credit... you set the price but they will give you advice on the price it’s likely to sell at
Oh, that was another thing the place we used did - suggested prices. They priced each item about $50 or so more than I would have and all but one sold. So, kind of covered their 25% commission.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Once or twice at garage sales, but I don't take stuff out of service until it's beat. The pairs I've sold at garage sales actually ended up worrying me as I didn't know if the bindings were indemnified and doubted that the buyers even understood what I was telling him. I have a lot of future bench material in my garage. One pair I recently gave to my daughter's boyfriend for some beer league racing because I knew the bindings were high-end and still indemnified. He was going to race in fat powder skis and I told him anything was better than what he wanted to use.

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
I just sold my K2Amp Strikes using NYskiblog.com and Craigslist. I asked a reasonable price ($90) and got what I asked for. Uncomplicated sale to the first person who emailed me.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I sold the J Skis Masterblasters at asking price via Facebook marketplace. I cross-posted to a few Vermont ski swap groups. A couple people gave me lowball offers and I just blocked them because I knew the price I set for a trendy (in some circles) ski was more than reasonable and I wasn’t desperate to sell.

Soujan

Angel Diva
I've sold several items using Letgo. No skis yet, but I've sold snow boots and a boot bag. Years ago I sold ski boots on Craigslist. Letgo makes selling convenient. Post pics and a description and people text you through the app.

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I still have a pair of race skis that are FAR too short for me...and I want to make a shot ski and coat rack out of it. They aren't worth anything. My local shop has a consignment section and I brought my old Fischer Villain Pro (twin tips) there and they sold em for like 75 bucks. I got some money to put towards new skis :D

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m debating exactly this! My kids are starting to outgrow their skis and I’m debating to sell them while they have value or if I should keep them and make a ski Xmas tree as they outgrow successively longer ones. :smile:

Christy

Angel Diva
I’m debating exactly this! My kids are starting to outgrow their skis and I’m debating to sell them while they have value or if I should keep them and make a ski Xmas tree as they outgrow successively longer ones. :smile:

You could also give them away to an individual or donate them to a group. I bet there's a lot of parents that would be absolutely thrilled to have them. I've given skis away via a Facebook Buy Nothing neighborhood group.

Like another poster mentioned above it's not really worth my time to try to sell them if I'm going to make less then $100. In general I've had good luck with Craigslist.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For my daughter's skis, I usually could get credit from our local ski shop. Didn't always get applied to new skis but there was always something of value during early season sales.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna