• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How do you handle changing conditions?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How about the spring type skiing when you have a slope that has changing conditions in the same run?
Groomed, slush, corn snow.............etc.
how do you adjust for that?

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great question Snowhot! I would have to say anticipate the conditions ahead of you! Constant adjustments of the tension in the ankle joints! Constant adjustments of balance and movement around the cuff of the boot.For instance-if you are too far forward in your boot(or overflexed)when you hit a slush patch you my have the feeling of going over the bars or pitching forwards-too far back and the skis aren't going to respond and you end up on your keester. Fore and aft balance is crucial in the conditions.Also being in command of your skis. Be the pilot not the passenger!

Terry

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The toughest part of this question is this:
You can't stop and change equipment in the middle of a run.

When I go skiing and the general conditions change I can change skis.(thats why the quiver)
but sometimes the shading of the slope and hot spots from sun exposure can really make a run complicated.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
There's an interesting feature on just this topic in November's Ski magazine by Stu Campbell, demonstrated by Mike Rogan. Basically, he says never to let your skis go sideways or flat, where you risk catching an edge; instead, get your skis on edge early and keep them there throughout the turn. He also says to keep moving down the hill rather than across it, and avoid making slow, lazy, nonchalant edge changes.

In other words, as Terry says, "Be the pilot, not the passenger!"

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Excellent stuff Ski Diva! The skis will power through the snow! If you are pushing your skis around they get loaded up with snow and slush making your leg muscles work more than they have too!!

Terry

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
My husband had one of the funniest falls ever at the bottom of a trail at Okemo last year. Varying conditions, just like we're talking about here. He spied an area of untracked, ungroomed snow and decided to make first tracks through it, where it proceeded to grab his skis like quick drying cement. He kept going, however, hitting the ground face first. it was like something out of a cartoon! (Even he thought it was funny.)

That stuff can be deadly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly