• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How do you define "fresh powder"?

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was in Tahoe last season when some storms came in colder than usual for there ... it was much more familiar snow to me than what they normally get, and there was a bit of grumbling from some locals, who apparently are used to surfing just the top few inches of heavy snow on big wide skis. I thought that was interesting. You adapt to your local conditions, no matter what they are, and sometimes a change is tough, no matter if I think it is a "good" change or not, lol.

mustski

Angel Diva
I was in Tahoe last season when some storms came in colder than usual for there ... it was much more familiar snow to me than what they normally get, and there was a bit of grumbling from some locals, who apparently are used to surfing just the top few inches of heavy snow on big wide skis. I thought that was interesting. You adapt to your local conditions, no matter what they are, and sometimes a change is tough, no matter if I think it is a "good" change or not, lol.
There is no doubt that California "powder" is usually wet and heavy. Sometimes we get lucky with a cold, dry storm and then we get the good stuff ... even in SoCal. To enjoy it though you have to ski in the blizzard because once it starts to settle it's Sierra Cement.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is no doubt that California "powder" is usually wet and heavy. Sometimes we get lucky with a cold, dry storm and then we get the good stuff ... even in SoCal. To enjoy it though you have to ski in the blizzard because once it starts to settle it's Sierra Cement.
I'm no expert (which is why I started the thread, lol) but my experience last Friday was exactly this - light and fluffy while falling. Saturday it was settled. Last Thursday (2/14) was AWESOME because it had settled AND was packed and well groomed.

Christy

Angel Diva
real powder is virtually effortless once you have it figured out....
the problem is that it takes a degree of patience and fearlessness in your skiing. You can't force things, you can't rush turns, you have to let them happen, you have to point your skis more down the fall line the deeper the snow - meaning you have to ski it in a way that would lead to skiing terrifyingly fast in non-powder conditions without the snow to slow you down...

I noticed a number of people stated that powder was so easy to ski but this part of Altagirl's post is key, at least for me. The first time I had a real, deep powder day at Sun Valley I was shocked at how not easy it was for me to ski. It was baffling (esp. since I am fine in the heavier but plentiful snow we get in the Cascades)--this is the stuff everyone wishes for? I just sank at first and was totally stumped as to how to even get going. I kind of figured it out as the day progressed and ended up having a lot of fun, but it was exhausting. Easy? Effortless? No. Maybe when it's only 4 inches or something, but not when it's already deep, accumulating fast (the groomers are long buried) and you aren't used to it. I look forward to having more days like this so I can practice, and hopefully someday it will be effortless!

altagirl

Staff member
^^ I think I told this story before, but the worst powder day I had was late spring at Steamboat, where one day it was in the 50s (ie, SLUSH) and then that night a big cold front blew in, froze all that slush into ridiculously awful 3D ice, and snowed 7 or 8 in. of champagne on top. It looked like beautiful fluffy awesomeness, but it was so light that you dropped right through to the unspeakable horridness underneath. lol. We found a good run or two in trees, where it hadn't gotten as sunny, but the combination of it looking so good but feeling so bad, ugh, that was so sad.

I haven't been to Steamboat, but I've had some days just like that. Even taken the morning off work because "Look at the light fluffy snow on the snow report!!!" They don't mention that it's ice bumps underneath because it was 40 degrees yesterday and then dropped to 0 before it started snowing and the mild breeze last night blew around the new fluff to fill in and cover up everything just over the tips of the now solid ice bumps hiding under that pretty, deceptive surface.

Those days stink. I mean, quite honestly, once that stuff gets tracked out, it might even be decent skiing, but I think it's the mental/emotional buildup and letdown that just kills you.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Had a day like that last year, probably only 15cm or 20cm on top of wind-polished "hardpack". Horrible mostly. Our powder can vary, but usually it's of the heavier variety. Sometimes I'd call it powder, sometimes just "new snow". You just have to make the most of what you get.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyway - powder is not necessarily hard to learn, the problem is that it takes a degree of patience and fearlessness in your skiing. You can't force things, you can't rush turns, you have to let them happen, you have to point your skis more down the fall line the deeper the snow - meaning you have to ski it in a way that would lead to skiing terrifyingly fast in non-powder conditions without the snow to slow you down - you just have to trust that it will happen and adjust as you get a feel for how thick the snow is. That just clicks for some people and for others it's like fighting their very nature, so it takes a while. I, however, obviously don't buy that people can't learn it.

This is kind of funny... last year at Roxy, we skied in "powder"... which I put in quotations because I'm sure it wasn't all that powdery for those in UT/CO, but it sure was powdery for me as an East Coast-er... LOL... I remember our instructor gave us some technique tips and then off we went. And there I was skiing (or trying to ski) in conditions I'd never attempted and on steeper terrain than I was used to and also on moguls that looked enormous to me. And it really wasn't all that scary. Part of that was because I was at Roxy, where I had support and an instructor with a line to ski patrol (and also not much choice in the matter), LOL - but part of it was also how much slower I knew I'd be going with the powder slowing me down and how much softer I knew it the snow would be if I fell!

I do think the hardness and speed of ice offers an intimidation factor that results in an occasional increase in fear for me... as an example - a few weeks ago we ended up on icy, skied off, steep trails at Plattekill. It was beyond my skill to really ski it, so I just kept skiing across and turning on the sides where the snow was "best" and stopping after each turn to make sure I kept my speed under control so I wouldn't lose control and wipe out. But each traverse across the hill took me in a controlled slide about 20+ yards down the slope even though my skis were pretty much pointed straight across... I don't think that'd be the same in powder...

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump:

Pretty amazing that Alta had fresh powder on June 17! Apparently about 12 inches with temps staying in the 30's almost all day. The few who were willing to drive and hike had a good time based on pics posted on FB.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just saw this post.. For me the Ski Diva day at Powder Mt 2014 was awesome. It was the Best Powder skiing for me in years. I have skied in lighter powder than that day but being from the East where 'powder' last 3-8 runs it was fantastic. Yes, I was worried I wouldn't remember how to ski 8+ inches and in trees but it all came back after the first run and that day will be a powder day to top. I love all the comments and suggestions on here and my 2 cents. being Eastern skier we get more ice/hard pack or powder on top of ice/hardpack than true powder days I do think we may have an advantage having to ski variable surfaces than those that are blessed with soft snow conditions. But to me, It is still skiing I agree w/Alta Girl that you do have to point your skis and 'ski' fearlessly and you can't force it and need patience. I'll add that at least if you fall in powder it's usually a laughing fest and doesn't hurt like falling on ice and perhaps screaming to a stop (literally) Wishing I was in Alta for the June 17th Powder day what a day to put in your record books! looking forward to the first powder day in 2014-15 ski season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump:

One of the threads I re-read when ski season is over. For those who haven't read it before, includes tips for skiing on ice in the northeast, as well as deep powder when you are lucky enough to catch a fluffy powder storm.

Been reading the book by the Utah professor that helps to explain why many people flock to Little Cottonwood Canyon (LCC, Alta/Snowbird) for powder skiing even during late season. Includes a chapter about where powder skiing can be found around the world. For Closing Day of the 2015-16 at Alta, he obviously had a great time with his son.

https://wasatchweatherweenies.blogspot.com/2016/04/fun-and-emotions-on-closing-day.html

LCC got 13 inches of fresh powder that mostly came down on Sat night. Per usual during late season, those who drove up the canyon road had a good time before it got a little too warm by the afternoon.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna