• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: How cold is TOO cold?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
-10°F here this morning. Going out to ski, but I think I'm going to wait a little bit.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This thread, and the forecast for Diva East next week, inspired me to finally buy boot gloves, heavy duty mittens, and a helmet hood. My husband had to laugh at all the layers and pondered aloud why I enjoy this sport so much.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Checking in from due north of the Mad River Valley! -8 and clear here, but no wind. Walked the dog and it was almost pleasant. If nothing unexpected comes up at work, I’m thinking I’ll duck out for a long lunch break once the mercury hits above 0.

Ktbikes0

Diva in Training
I'm skiing tomorrow in northern Nova Scotia and it will be -22 C = -8 F, plus some wind. Weekend lift lines are crazy long at our small hill with 1 chair lift - opening weekend was a 1-hour wait, but it should be better tomorrow. I stay comfortable with boot warmers, heated gloves (heavenly), and so many layers (shell + polyfill + down jacket + mid layer + base layer on top, thick insulated pants + wool mid-layer pants + wool base-layer pants), plus neck gaitor, goggles + warm helmet. The only cold part was my nose!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just a quick heads-up that next Wed night and Thursday, 1/26-1/27, are looking to be the coldest yet this season in the Carrabassett Valley and Saddleback regions. Wind chills will remain below zero for most of Thurs, 1/27.

Hey. It’s January. It’s Maine. Definitely do try it some time in late March into April. Absolutely delightful, light until 6:30 p.m., great outside decks.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Sunday River was GORGEOUS today; air temp was somewhere around -5 when I got to the mountain, but it was sunny with no wind. I was plenty layered-up (heated mitts, boot heaters, boot gloves, helmet hood, puffy under my down jacket, 2 base layers on the bottom) and stayed toasty. Mountain was skiing beautifully with soft corduroy on most trails. White Heat was even fantastic, although sadly Vortex was a bit, uh, firm.

As long as the wind isn't nasty next Wednesday, we are going to have a great day.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Was it groomed or ungroomed? I love that darn trail, but it's usually either really good or really bad without much middle ground. lol
Vortex had the wide groomed strip and that is where it was slick - on lower I got over on skiers left in the softer stuff and that was nice. On upper, skiers left bumps are getting large and awfully close to the trees, so little margin for error there. The couple I was skiing with are more groomer skiers and ski faster than me as it is, so I didn't dilly dally in bumps too much today!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Vortex had the wide groomed strip and that is where it was slick - on lower I got over on skiers left in the softer stuff and that was nice. On upper, skiers left bumps are getting large and awfully close to the trees, so little margin for error there. The couple I was skiing with are more groomer skiers and ski faster than me as it is, so I didn't dilly dally in bumps too much today!

This is why I preferred their leaving it ungroomed last year, though that eventually got dicey too. O'well, at least there is plenty else to play in right now! :smile:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
-10°F here this morning. Going out to ski, but I think I'm going to wait a little bit.

I was on the mountain just a few minutes after eight. At least in the parking lot! My fingers were freezing and it was a chilly walk up to Jackson Gore. But totally worth it! Cold day of bluebird skies. I’ve decided it is so cold this year I just have to dress and go! Otherwise I will sit inside all winter and my waistline will expand! :eek:

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Checking in from due north of the Mad River Valley! -8 and clear here, but no wind. Walked the dog and it was almost pleasant. If nothing unexpected comes up at work, I’m thinking I’ll duck out for a long lunch break once the mercury hits above 0.
Did you end up skiing today? I keep thinking I’ll do Friday night lights at Cochran’s again, but both last Friday and today were so cold. Today Cochran’s actually canceled Friday night lights due to the forecast.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skied at Sunapee today. It was a beautiful bluebird skies day. 2F to start but it warmed up (low teens) by 11. One warm up break just after 10, then skied until 1:30 when our stomachs said "Need food!"

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Did you end up skiing today? I keep thinking I’ll do Friday night lights at Cochran’s again, but both last Friday and today were so cold. Today Cochran’s actually canceled Friday night lights due to the forecast.
Yup! 2 runs at MRG and my toes were freezing. The rest of me was toasty warm though - no wind, so it was really not that cold! Balaclava, single base layer, mid layer and insulated jacket and pants did me just fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly