• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: How cold is TOO cold?

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Like others have said, it depends on whether I'm east or west. The coldest I've skied in the east was probably -5 and it felt DANG cold (the wind didn't help). On the other hand, I've skied Lake Louise at -20 and while cold, it wasn't uncomfortable (though this was pre-boot heaters and I did have to take a couple of unscheduled breaks). In early January this year we skied Steamboat at +2 and I was sweating buckets.

(all temps in F).

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied yesterday and I think the high was 1 F. It felt pretty balmy though because the sun came out occasionally and there was no wind. At points I almost wished I could drop a layer. I wore: thin leg baselayer, insulated capri pants, shell bibs. Regular thin wool ski socks. Thin wool shirt, midweight wool shirt, puffy jacket, jacket shell. Mittens (with toe warmers inside of them). Thin buff and thicker fleece neck gaiter. thin wool hat under my helmet.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Northeast cold is very different than in the dry and high Rockies. It was in the 20's at Windham in the Catskills today. But I felt much colder than at Wolf Creek or Taos this season with similar temperatures. I was wearing essentially the same stuff.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Northeast cold is very different than in the dry and high Rockies. It was in the 20's at Windham in the Catskills today. But I felt much colder than at Wolf Creek or Taos this season with similar temperatures. I was wearing essentially the same stuff.
It's hard to describe how different the temp feels between the East and the West. That moisture in the air really makes the cold bite into you, and the amount of radiant energy that you get from the sun in the West is significant. I know that you'd never catch me sitting outside eating lunch with my jacket off in 30° weather anywhere in TN, let alone on a mountain, but I've done that countless times at Taos.

It's always amusing to me when in Taos and I'm getting ready in the AM my mind says, "OMG - it's 10° out and only going up to 20° today -- put on more layers!", and then by 10 AM I'm opening pit zips, shedding layers, and sweating!

Amie H

Angel Diva
Tonight skiing in Wausau, WI at 15F was the first time I've really felt uncomfortably cold (and only in my toes - now I want boot heaters!)
The rest of me was fine w the layers I chose, hood over helmet, etc. However, I filmed a short video and my sister pointed out that my hair hanging out of my helmet is frozen solid (it was snowing.)

Amie H

Angel Diva
Follow-up on skiing in the WI cold - today at Whitecap (9F degrees when I started, over 15 F when I left), I broke down mid-morning and bought toe warmer pads at the front desk of the lodge. It helped me stay out there longer. I think next season, I'll buy a box and always have a few packs in my jacket pocket!

shadoj

Angel Diva
Follow-up on skiing in the WI cold - today at Whitecap (9F degrees when I started, over 15 F when I left), I broke down mid-morning and bought toe warmer pads at the front desk of the lodge. It helped me stay out there longer. I think next season, I'll buy a box and always have a few packs in my jacket pocket!
So glad you got out for a weekend adventure, and are now thawing!
I'd love to hear a report on Whitecap. My whole crew wants to check it out next year, since we drove right by it on the way to Big Powderhorn.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I used toe warmers for the first time this year. I'm a convert!

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We skied at Big Sky last week, and the morning temps started around -25F a few days...when we showed up to the lifts at open we were informed they don't run the lifts below -15F. We were shocked, as cold delays don't happen in the Northeast! We dressed for the weather, and it actually felt much warmer than the thermometer seemed to indicate.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wrote a chairlift this morning at Okemo with some racers from Steamboat. They were freezing! I explained how it’s bone chilling cold here versus merely cold out there! Really nice kids who were not looking forward to going down to ski suit only and taking their layers off!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna