• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How are you passing the time during COVID-19?

newboots

Angel Diva
@Divegirl - so glad to hear you’ve recovered! And that your DH is at home now. I think this would be hard for folks living alone.

I didn’t know monsoon season was coming today! Makes me want to spend the day under the covers!

Divegirl

Angel Diva
@newboots - Thank you. I was very lucky. I'm even luckier DH and my mother did not get sick as I spent a lot of time w/ both of them the day I got sick. Both are compromised health-wise.
We've already been told by the Fire Chief here to expect power outages and make sure our phones are charged all day - winds are expected to be about 35 - 40 mph w/ gusts up around 70 mph. It seems like every storm this spring has been torrential rain and high winds.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mon-Fri 8:30-5 I'm logged onto work and have to be available the same hours that I would be if we were actually there. But can still go out for a walk etc during the day.

Weekends I've been baking cookies each week and doing yard work when the weather permits.
Here and there I do "creative" things like make myself masks and solve repair problems around the house.
I'm looking forward to the weather being consistently nicer so i can spend more time outside.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't understand how we would pull our fridge out. There is cabinetry all around it. I will choose to think that this also means that dirt and dust cannot get behind it.

Or if you could pull it out (thinking of my stove which was there when I bought the condo in 1998...) imagine what life forms you might find?!! :scared:

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I scrubbed my house the first week I was home. That was four weeks ago. Problem with cleaning is you have to keep doing it ....

Otherwise I’m working from home during the week. Don’t usually have that much to do but I have to check in regularly and keep an eye on the emails. School vacation now, but otherwise I’ve been trying to do some schoolwork with my kids. They’re only 6 and 8 so if I can get them to do anything, it’s great. We need to do a bit more reading but they’ve drawn what seems like 1000 pictures. I’m trying to finally learn to play the guitar. I think I’ve progressed from “owns a guitar but can’t play” to “really lousy guitarist.” My fingers hurt, though.

newboots

Angel Diva
School vacation now, but otherwise I’ve been trying to do some schoolwork with my kids. They’re only 6 and 8 so if I can get them to do anything, it’s great. We need to do a bit more reading but they’ve drawn what seems like 1000 pictures. I’m trying to finally learn to play the guitar. I think I’ve progressed from “owns a guitar but can’t play” to “really lousy guitarist.” My fingers hurt, though.

- Have the kids write stories and illustrate them. A memoir about the Pandemic of 2020 would be cool.
- Read about some other epidemic. I suppose the Black Death might be a bit much for their ages, but you know them best.
- Invent a funny epidemic, like catching (temporary) green spots from afflicted others. Write a story about it and illustrate.

Signed,
Frustrated former teacher

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @newboots we have had lots of conversations about the plague, the Black Death and the Spanish flu! We found some good cartoon histories on YouTube that are both factual and accessible. I love the funny epidemic idea. We’ll get on it!

newboots

Angel Diva
Thanks @newboots we have had lots of conversations about the plague, the Black Death and the Spanish flu! We found some good cartoon histories on YouTube that are both factual and accessible. I love the funny epidemic idea. We’ll get on it!

This almost makes me wish I had kids at home to entertain, but no. I do wish I had my granddaughter two hours a day.

Attachments

• B5918EBB-97BC-41FC-A862-3DE163ECA654.jpeg
    B5918EBB-97BC-41FC-A862-3DE163ECA654.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 8

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
<sigh> How to pass the time...
On April 1, we had a horrific rain storm here. Our sump pump switch failed, and our basement flooded. That was a fun 3 day clean-up.

On April 9, we had 10" of snow in this immediate region, much more north of here, and 360,000 power customers lost power. (They are STILL restoring power) The snow was unbelievably wet and heavy - trees snapped, power lines dropped. We were without power for 28 hours but have a generator that powers "survival" circuits (furnace, well pump, fridge, a few outlets).

On April 13, we had another big rain storm. The sump pump ran on and off for 24 hours.

On April 15, my husband's former place of employment blew up. A pulp digester at the paper mill, 110 ft tall and under very high pressure, just -- went. The flume was several hundred feet high and could be seen for miles. Miraculously, NO ONE WAS HURT. But an economic engine of the region and state is no more.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ng-ground-video-shows-black-smoke/5143318002/

Pass the time????????? :eek:

He'll be part of the investigative team that's assembling, as he is now an independent contractor.

MissySki

Angel Diva
<sigh> How to pass the time...
On April 1, we had a horrific rain storm here. Our sump pump switch failed, and our basement flooded. That was a fun 3 day clean-up.

On April 9, we had 10" of snow in this immediate region, much more north of here, and 360,000 power customers lost power. (They are STILL restoring power) The snow was unbelievably wet and heavy - trees snapped, power lines dropped. We were without power for 28 hours but have a generator that powers "survival" circuits (furnace, well pump, fridge, a few outlets).

On April 13, we had another big rain storm. The sump pump ran on and off for 24 hours.

On April 15, my husband's former place of employment blew up. A pulp digester at the paper mill, 110 ft tall and under very high pressure, just -- went. The flume was several hundred feet high and could be seen for miles. Miraculously, NO ONE WAS HURT. But an economic engine of the region and state is no more.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ng-ground-video-shows-black-smoke/5143318002/

Pass the time????????? :eek:

He'll be part of the investigative team that's assembling, as he is now an independent contractor.

Heard about the explosion, wondered if it was the same location! Amazing no one was hurt. I saw pictures of some trucks that looked destroyed nearby.

Jenny

Angel Diva
That’s quite a series of events. Glad no one was hurt, hope you didn’t lose anything in the sump pump failure.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Heard about the explosion, wondered if it was the same location! Amazing no one was hurt. I saw pictures of some trucks that looked destroyed nearby.
Employee parking lot. Not far from where he used to park every day, for 15.5 years.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
That’s quite a series of events. Glad no one was hurt, hope you didn’t lose anything in the sump pump failure.
Yeah, it was incredible - NO injuries, ALL accounted for. The facility has an amazing (and obviously effective) emergency evacuation protocol.

Nothing of value lost in the (minor, by comparison to other events) flood, thanks for your concern. Just a bunch of soggy cardboard that had to go away. We've had this happen before and have learned the hard way. It's just --- messy. We have 4 cords of wood down there every fall, and by April, there are more wood chips than I care to discuss. And they float. :frown:

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MaineSkiLady that’s one horror show after another. Way more than your fair share. I hope you get the warm sunny spring you deserve after all that!

@newboots meant to log on yesterday just to say how cute your granddaughter is! I’m sure she can’t wait to see you too. I’m so glad I went to visit my parents the last weekend in February. By the following week, the first cases of Covid-19 had been confirmed and I’d have stayed away. We would probably have met up again around now but we’ll just have to hold on a few more weeks...-

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna