• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How are you exercising right now?

Jenny

Angel Diva
Found this little guy/gal on our walk today. It Seemed way too far from the water for its size, and wasn’t moving at all until we wetted it down with the water bottle, but then it perked right up. So we took it over near the stream and it's up to nature now!
43E9621A-7FA7-4F8B-8157-0AFCB68E1A29.jpeg
15A6EBAD-EBED-44DB-A65F-C2DBBEE6038C.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Since I've started working out with a friend (TRX on trees in that family's backyard), I got back into my fitness blog. Finally finished an entry that I started last fall about using a stability ball for improving core strength. Found a video for people who haven't used a stability ball for core before to add to the intermediate routine my personal trainer drew from that seems like a good way to get started.

https://over50skifitness.blogspot.com/2020/05/core-workout-using-stability-ball-aka.html

Jilly

Staff member
I thought we had a thread going, and here it is. So my gym has been closed since March. They are doing zoom classes. I'm working so I can only make 1. That's on Monday at 5:30. It's a core class, so not much cardio. I've been good on the food intake (except that donut for Jenny last night) and have only gained a lb or 2. But I really need some Cardio. Also the more I move, the less my arthritic knee hurts...

So...walking is an option for sure, but I would like something that it's so weather dependent, or bug dependent. So what apparatii do Diva's have at home.

At the gym I was using their "wind" bike. The type with the movable handles.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So...walking is an option for sure, but I would like something that it's so weather dependent, or bug dependent. So what apparatii do Diva's have at home.

At the gym I was using their "wind" bike. The type with the movable handles.

A friend just bought a bike trainer for her road bike, and it comes with training apps and hooks up to the TV for "virtual" routes. It lets you join groups and compete in races and stuff like that. She likes it a lot.

Our local gym just closed, and I will miss in the winter, so I'm trying to strategize a workable winter fitness routine to be prepared. I've been mountain biking a ton and working with a coach on a training plan and I don't want to lose fitness over the cold & snowy months.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mountain biking around the house. It's amazing how it whips you into shape. I've been riding daily for maybe 1/2 hour to 1 hour and stopping to check out the garden, drink water or just take a break. I've never been so grateful for our country home.

Jilly

Staff member
I have a gallon of paint and some elastic bands, that's it. Oh I do have a ball. My trainer called my cell phone at the cottage today. It doesn't work there. I'm to call her tomorrow.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Do fights with your bushes count? Yesterday I pulled down ivy vines from my neighbor's brick house and fought with a wild pear tree (1+ inch stickers). Blood was lost on my part and my arm looks like I had a bad fight with a cat.
Today I was trimming tamer bushes of gangly spikes, but discovered far out of control vines. We had a ~really~ bad fight. But the bushes are now several inches shorter and the vines are in the street for city pick up. Mouse 1/Vines ZERO!!!!!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mountain biking around the house. It's amazing how it whips you into shape. I've been riding daily for maybe 1/2 hour to 1 hour and stopping to check out the garden, drink water or just take a break. I've never been so grateful for our country home.

I think xc/trail mountain biking is a great HIIT workout; the punchy, techy climbs get your heart rate up fast! We also have a nearby trail that goes up a mile-long hayfield with about 250 feet of total elevation gain; It's great for long, slow climbing and varying/balancing your workout routine.

Alas, we haven't had a rainy day in quite a while; I've overdone the riding a bit out of sheer enthusiasm, and my quads would like to speak to the manager. I had to give my legs a rest day today despite how much I'd love to jump on the bike. :yield:

Jilly

Staff member
Working on a possible OC-1 training this summer instead of dragon boat. Hour of the day is not my taste for time. So looking into it. 9:30 am means an early wake up as the training us 2hours away and big city traffic...

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Working on a possible OC-1 training this summer instead of dragon boat. Hour of the day is not my taste for time. So looking into it. 9:30 am means an early wake up as the training us 2hours away and big city traffic...

Nice! I used to paddle OC-1 whitewater and do some casual, beer-league slalom racing and enjoyed it very much. Are you training to race?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
So for all you folks taking walks for exercise, just a reminder that you can always add a backpack to increase the intensity!

Since work has slowed down the last 2 weeks, I’ve been taking daily walks on a gentle, rolling 2 mile loop trail near my house with minimal elevation change. It’s not strictly necessary for me to carry water for the walk, but I strap on a pack and throw in a Nalgene anyway just in case my dog gets thirsty.

The walk has gotten progressively easier and easier on me and today I added a 5 pound dumbbell to the pack. I have about 29 pounds of dumbbells and kettlebells so I’ll keep adding weight for now, until I get tired of it.,

Tvan

Angel Diva
Has anyone used the Nike Training Club app? I downloaded it yesterday and am going to give it a try to add some variety to my current routine.

Jilly

Staff member
Well I just bought/ordered a SUP taxi for my Truck. It's the best way to transport the SUP around. So I'll get probably Tuesday. Decided that it was too far to go for the OC training. My local gym and trainer have come up with a new plan. We will have to pay for the sessions, but all will be recorded and you have access all month. My Trainer and I are going to work at a different time, hence the SUP Taxi, as she bought an inflatable. She's also lending me some weights she found in her shed. She says they're rusty, I said I can wear gloves. The only good thing is I've been keeping the weight down. Up about 3 lbs right now.

AND I get my hair cut this week!! 4 months + since last cut.

Jilly

Staff member
So in parts of Ontario the gyms are closed. We're open and have been with protocols in place. So my trainer and I are working out 2 days a week.

The Dragon Boat Club is issuing a challenge to all members. Each age crew needs to complete 1200km of paddling. You can use the machines at the club gym or if you have your one paddle erg then that will count too. I have my own. I think our crew, besides being the oldest, has the most paddlers. So this will be fun. Everyone has been on the What's app today about it. We get braggin rights and pizza!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly