• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How are you exercising right now?

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
As my diva name suggests, I'm a swimmer April 16th-Oct 16th in my backyard pool, made possible with a heater, minimum 1/2 mile/day and I do some light road biking. Plus yard work, cleaning up from Feb 6th tornado and planting veggies/flowers.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Even though we have been in lockdown for the past four weeks we are permitted to exercise locally and as I live on the Port Hills in Christchurch my nearly daily routine has involved climbing up one of several different ways to access our network of dh mountain bike trails.Its been fun but a little lonely as we're not supposed to ride with our buddies and to maintain social distancing as part of the response to CovidView attachment 12882

Wow! Gorgeous scenery and an equally gorgeous bike!

Our local trails are set to open this week; I'm very lucky to live adjacent to them and be able to avoid trailheads. I've been getting exercise by doing trail work and hiking and have discovered that walking the bike trails with a backpack-style leaf-blower is hard work but very fun and satisfying!

I can't wait to get on my mountain bike. I've been very sedentary this past year for a complicated web of reasons, and I dread feeling with full force how poor my fitness is. Our trails are steep, even by Vermont standards, and I know I'm going to have to endure many weeks of frustration and misery to get where I want to be, but I've been cleaning up my diet and taking deliberate steps to get fit without going overboard and inviting injury. I'm excited and ready to ride!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Rode our newly-opened trails today and sucked wind on every climb! But it was SO great to be out on the trails on a beautiful afternoon.

I have a regular backyard loop that lets me gauge my fitness throughout the season; I'm looking forward to making good progress and enjoying the descents!

Screenshot 2020-05-12 20.33.41.png

Christy

Angel Diva
My Pilates studio sent out a survey asking what we thought we would want to do when they reopen in mid-June (at 50% capacity). Would we come twice a week or more, once a week, not at all but would still want to do Zoom classes, etc.

I really have no idea. Being indoors with other people heavily respirating? At half capacity, that's only 2-3 others. Still--Indoors, being around people for more than 10 minutes, is the danger spot. Maybe if it was in the classroom that has a door to the outside? And this is middle-aged and older women we're talking about. If I'm going to take any demographic to be around, it's that one. Hmm. Just not sure.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Pilates studio sent out a survey asking what we thought we would want to do when they reopen in mid-June (at 50% capacity). Would we come twice a week or more, once a week, not at all but would still want to do Zoom classes, etc.

I really have no idea. Being indoors with other people heavily respirating? At half capacity, that's only 2-3 others. Still--Indoors, being around people for more than 10 minutes, is the danger spot. Maybe if it was in the classroom that has a door to the outside? And this is middle-aged and older women we're talking about. If I'm going to take any demographic to be around, it's that one. Hmm. Just not sure.

Wow! Welcome to my morning! We are not at the stage where we are ready to send out a survey yet but we are investigating. Not desperate at all to get indoors with all the issues you describe. And exercising with masks? Only instructors wearing masks? Obviously it goes on and on and on.

And since I’m obviously bitching, did anybody else upgrade Zoom to 5.0 yesterday or today? I did it this morning before 7 AM client. And the screen was really a fuzzy image compared to before. I used it last night so I know it’s not the computer which is also brand new. I did check in with another instructor who said it did come around but took hours to clear up. Just curious to see if others are having the same issue!

Jilly

Staff member
I'll be updating today for that. Let you know. Last week I couldn't get my camera to work on the laptop. Had to go to the tablet for our Zoom meeting.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be updating today for that. Let you know. Last week I couldn't get my camera to work on the laptop. Had to go to the tablet for our Zoom meeting.

I haven’t updated my tablet so I can use that for now. But I really like a bigger screen to see the clients so I can make corrections better. However fuzzy doesn’t help a whole lot either! I was able to see well enough this morning but I miss the clarity that was there yesterday!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Oof I have no desire to go workout inside anywhere anytime soon.. I do usually attend an outdoor yoga class starting in June in RI, it's in a park by the water and not heavily attended because it's very early in the morning on Fridays so I would consider that (depending on the restrictions) but not inside. I don't think I could do a workout in a mask personally. I feel claustrophobic enough with a mask in general, never mind exerting myself. Especially with yoga where you do a lot of controlled and sometimes heavy breathing exercises.

I have not done any upgrades to my Zoom apps yet, thanks for the heads up!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oof I have no desire to go workout inside anywhere anytime soon.. I do usually attend an outdoor yoga class starting in June in RI, it's in a park by the water and not heavily attended because it's very early in the morning on Fridays so I would consider that (depending on the restrictions) but not inside. I don't think I could do a workout in a mask personally. I feel claustrophobic enough with a mask in general, never mind exerting myself. Especially with yoga where you do a lot of controlled and sometimes heavy breathing exercises.

I have not done any upgrades to my Zoom apps yet, thanks for the heads up!

Everyone else said it went away. MY problem seems to be a new laptop with good graphics and speed, but an inadequate camera. Shame on me since I put it together!! Trying to get to HP for a return authorization. Took WEEKS to get to me (don't customize during a pandemic). I'm buying more locally on the next one.

MissySki

Angel Diva
They are. I love having a place to walk/ride where you don’t have to watch out for cars. We have a three, four, or five mile walk all mapped out and can go much further, all on trails, when we ride vs. walk. And all starting from our house. Trailhead is maybe a half-mile.

That’s so awesome, would love to have this so close by!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been having a blast biking around my home mountain; despite carrying a lot of extra weight this spring, I seem to have a decent-enough level of fitness to be able to sustain some long-ish rides with lots of climbing.

The ski resort that used to occupy part of the mountain went defunct years ago, and the owners seemed to leave town without taking much of anything off the hill. The singletrack trails cross up and over old snowmaking pipes, around old snow guns, and past an array of infrastructural detritus. Today I glanced over into the woods and noticed a structure I hadn't seen before; I thought it was a dilapidated sugar shack, but it turns out to be an old pump house of some sort. I've made a habit of photographing some of the interesting junk around the mountain and had some fun exploring this old wreck.
Screenshot 2020-05-14 23.31.03.pngScreenshot 2020-05-14 23.31.35.pngScreenshot 2020-05-14 23.42.30.pngScreenshot 2020-05-14 23.30.25.png

Last edited:

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I love the composition on that last shot! I imagine that being able to roam freely is a fascinating look into how a fully-functioning ski mountain must run.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna