• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How are you exercising right now?

Jilly

Staff member
I want to do one for my coach. But haven't figured that out yet. Think I can do with my tablet. This is used for indoor/winter training at a lot of the clubs. My P'reg is a home model. The club ones are more robust and have a different computer on them. But it will helpful.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I bought a gravel bike last year and it's come in really handy this spring. I live right on the edge of town. I can get to gravel and mostly gravel routes in a mile or two. Normally I'd be mountain biking like a fiend this time of year.... but the trailheads are super crowded so I am staying away. It's great now... once it gets too hot probably not so much. 175 miles this month!!

Attachments

• 20200424_151327(2).jpg
    20200424_151327(2).jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200419_183739_671.jpg
    IMG_20200419_183739_671.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200419_141227.jpg
    20200419_141227.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 11

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
@geargrrl those rides look great! Do you have any tips or resources on how to get started with gravel riding and choosing a gravel bike?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I am doing 20-40 milers. I am not doing overnights or bikepacking trips.

What helped me the most about gravels bikes were these two quips:
A cross bike is for two hours; a gravel bike is for all day.
Gravel bikes are road bikes for mountain bikers.

I think the second one is so true. I have a really nice road bike; carbon, very narrow tires. There are times when I have been on rough pavement or in crosswinds where I was terrified. The wider tires on the gravel bike are so stable it's unreal. I love it. My road bike may stay on the trainer permanently.

I have a Giant Revolt. It's carbon. Carbon will give a more "damp" feeling and of course is very light, where as steel and aluminum have a different feel and weigh more. Gravel bikes typically have a longer wheelbase and more slack head tube angle that road bikes or cross bikes. They seem to be gearing these bikes with both 1x and 2x, with gearing not as low at mtb gearing. I may swap my cassette out for lower gear just beacuse it's so hilly around here.

Some of the bikes have a lot of braze-ons for attaching extra water bottles, panniers etc; mine doesn't have a lot. My hub has a Salsa Cutthroat, specifically designed for the Tour Divide race, that has zillions of attachment points.

Do you have a bike shop you can trust? Shop folk that know there stuff are invaluable.

HTH

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Even though we have been in lockdown for the past four weeks we are permitted to exercise locally and as I live on the Port Hills in Christchurch my nearly daily routine has involved climbing up one of several different ways to access our network of dh mountain bike trails.Its been fun but a little lonely as we're not supposed to ride with our buddies and to maintain social distancing as part of the response to CovidScreen Shot 2020-04-28 at 8.30.01 AM.png

lisamamot

Angel Diva
What beautiful scenery so many get to access locally!!!!

There have been bike rides and lots of long dog walks, some woods and some road. My fitness class started up some FB Live classes so I did two of those at the end of last week as well.

Right now the weather has been roller coasting - so much rain! Saturday was gorgeous though and I spent most of the afternoon outside..it was lovely.

We have not gone anywhere to exercise that we can't access on foot or bike so that doesn't leave us a tremendous amount of options. Looking forward to hiking in the mountains when restrictions ease!

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My YMCA (gym for those not in the US) has posted links to online streaming workouts that are free. I usually do group fitness classes and today I did one of my favorites, LesMills Body Combat aka kickboxing. It was really different to be doing it alone in my house with the super professional model teachers but I still got a great workout in. I even made my kids do 3 songs with me. Other than that I have done some bike riding around my super hilly neighborhood and lots of yard work.

If anyone is interested in the free things Les Mills of offering (no log in or anything is required): https://watch.lesmillsondemand.com/at-home-workouts

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I’ve started taking walks up and down my hill to the main road. It’s not a huge elevation change - 300’ - but it’s enough that I breathe a little heavy by the end. When I feel motivated I’ll do short sprints up the uphill too.

I’ve also started doing classes through Alo Moves, a yoga/fitness streaming service. I don’t really like exercise videos but needed something to help relieve the tightness that I’ve felt all around since I’ve been heavily bound to my desk for weeks. I like that this service provides videos that are as short as 10-20 minutes.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had another outdoor session with my personal trainer today. She's figured out a set up in her backyard that works quite well. She has a TRX strap set up on a tree and I bring mine to use. She has round pavers that are good for little circuits, sometimes with a medicine ball or kettle bell. The backup plan in case of rain is to use Zoom. Her schedule is filling up with private clients enough that rescheduling would get too complicated.

She sent an email to all her clients noting all the cleaning and other precautions that we'll be taking. I'm quite comfortable with the set up. Her household is just her and her retired husband. Usually sessions are in the walk out basement.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Had another outdoor session with my personal trainer today. She's figured out a set up in her backyard that works quite well. She has a TRX strap set up on a tree and I bring mine to use. She has round pavers that are good for little circuits, sometimes with a medicine ball or kettle bell. The backup plan in case of rain is to use Zoom. Her schedule is filling up with private clients enough that rescheduling would get too complicated.

She sent an email to all her clients noting all the cleaning and other precautions that we'll be taking. I'm quite comfortable with the set up. Her household is just her and her retired husband. Usually sessions are in the walk out basement.
Are you able to keep a 6 ft distance? I am doing virtual trainings with my weekly personal trainer as they are really strict here about social distancing. Where I go is not a gym but more of a rehab facility so maybe that's why. Outdoors sound great. Are you wearing masks? It is mandatory in the county I live in, but you would never know it if you saw the beach last weekend with rangers giving tickets everywhere...

marzNC

Angel Diva
Are you able to keep a 6 ft distance? I am doing virtual trainings with my weekly personal trainer as they are really strict here about social distancing. Where I go is not a gym but more of a rehab facility so maybe that's why. Outdoors sound great. Are you wearing masks? It is mandatory in the county I live in, but you would never know it if you saw the beach last weekend with rangers giving tickets everywhere...
No problem keeping more than 6 ft apart since we were outdoors. Plus I know enough that she doesn't need to be near me or to use the TRX to demonstrate an exercise. For most of the exercises, her verbal description is sufficient. For a few new ones, she didn't need to use the TRX to get me to do them correctly.

She was wearing a mask today but not last week. She was wearing gloves. I chose not to wear a mask. Know enough about air flow and micro particles to not see any reason to use one outdoors when with someone I trust has been staying at home for weeks. I wore gloves last week (it was cool) at the playground but not today. She'll wipe down any of her equipment that I used before the next client uses it.

It's a work in progress for her to figure out what's practical for her private clients. Her clients are all active seniors. Much easier than figuring out how to re-open a fitness center. My fitness center is still completely closed. I don't expect it to re-open until June or July.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
No problem keeping more than 6 ft apart since we were outdoors. Plus I know enough that she doesn't need to be near me or to use the TRX to demonstrate an exercise. For most of the exercises, her verbal description is sufficient. For a few new ones, she didn't need to use the TRX to get me to do them correctly.

She was wearing a mask today but not last week. She was wearing gloves. I chose not to wear a mask. Know enough about air flow and micro particles to not see any reason to use one outdoors when with someone I trust has been staying at home for weeks. I wore gloves last week (it was cool) at the playground but not today. She'll wipe down any of her equipment that I used before the next client uses it.

It's a work in progress for her to figure out what's practical for her private clients. Her clients are all active seniors. Much easier than figuring out how to re-open a fitness center. My fitness center is still completely closed. I don't expect it to re-open until June or July.
Sounds great.... it's not ideal doing a personal training workout virtually. That's why I questioned it...

marzNC

Angel Diva
Came across an article from the UK about items to use at home for ski conditioning looking for something else. Other than a mini-trampoline I have some variation of all of the suggested items. Included a yoga mat, TRX, BOSU, resistance bands, along with the SkiA Sweetspot balance trainers (use with ski boots) and the Skiers Edge.

Only item missing that I've used a fair amount at home is a Swiss ball. Spent less than $100 on a used old version of the Skiers Edge.

March 20, 2020, The Telegraph (UK)
The best home-exercise gadgets for keeping ski-fit during lockdown and over summer
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/...exercise-gadgets-for-skiers-and-snowboarders/

Soujan

Angel Diva
Luckily I have barbells, dumbbells, and a squat rack at home. I'm able to do my barbell training and I do my metcon workouts in my backyard.

newboots

Angel Diva
You are all so motivated!

My exercise is limited to (1) Zoom Pilates class with @Abbi , (2) Virtual PT sessions (stretches) with my darling physical therapist, Tatum, and (3) garden, garden, garden. I use a lot of wood chips for mulch and other things, and since they are in a huge pile across the street, this involves a lot of work with a pitchfork and wheelbarrow. Or if Mr. Blizzard is home, a pitchfork and the tractor. I am a novice at the tractor, an antique (1947 Ford 8N, if you're a connoisseur) and driving it is not intuitive. However, I'm quite accomplished with the wheelbarrow!

Also building fencing and an arch in the garden, and filling the new raised beds.

Other than the gardening, I have no motivation at all. I do Pilates because it's great fun with my marvelous instructor, and PT because it's PT, plus my therapist is a sweetheart. Thank heaven for gardening, though. On rainy days I sit at the computer or read. I think the quarantine is starting to get to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna