• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How are you exercising right now?

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a bit of a companion to https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?forums/miscellaneous-discussions.21/ but more focused on how you are exercising in lieu of skiing right now, or if you are. Is there anything that gives you the same “thrill” feeling as skiing??

For me, I’ve picked up biking around the city, something I was always a little wary of doing before the quarantine. It’s not as good as skiing but there is some thrill to coasting downhill. And with traffic greatly reduced its much easier to get around city streets.

Also pilates, yoga and walks around the neighborhood at least once a week each.

What about you divas?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Right now ? Ha well I was going to walk in the sand for a couple miles but looked so inviting I plopped myself down and haven't moved in an hour!

Christy

Angel Diva
It's not the same as being in the mountains, but I have been really enjoying walking in some of our more "nature-y" local parks and preserves, especially the ones that are harder to access as roads/parking lots have been closed (but where you are still allowed to walk). Just being in a forest and hearing the birds is incredibly relaxing. I've even discovered some new parks and trails, and I thought I knew everything around here! Bonus is that everyplace is quieter due to the decreased auto and air traffic. Silver linings.

1587594389169.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Lots of yard work . . . big yard that includes woods and small sections of grass that I push with a non-motorized push mower.

Although I had a personal fitness TRX session yesterday morning. My personal trainer found a perfect outdoor location with monkey bars that make it easy to set up a TRX. Going to meet with her weekly, weather permitting. Since I've been working with her for several years, the social aspect is as helpful as the exercises. She's also doing online sessions with a few private clients. Has ended up far busier than she expected since obviously all the classes she usually teaches aren't happening.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I'm on the stationary bike every morning, then free weights. I'm taking an on-line pilates class once a week, and running at least twice per week in our rural neighborhood.

Jilly

Staff member
All our gyms are closed as are the parks. I can walk our bayshore trail. I do 1 of 2 Zoom classes with the trainers from the gym. I bought a paddle erg, so That's my new friend. We're off the water till July so far. So this better than nothing...

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Some days I walk and some days I do an hour-long online dance cardio class followed by half an hour of free weights, but I try to do something every day. Haven’t had the bike out yet. It’s still too cold.

Last edited:

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have cut mountain bike trails in the yard. Between the yard work aspect of shoveling, raking and trimming brush then dragging it to the fire pit and the riding aspect of planning and enjoying the loops I am feeling like fitness is starting to bounce back.

kiki

Angel Diva
I’ve found it really hard to exercise and need to find a way to get back in to a habit. Right now not even doing daily stretches.
Plan is to do oxygen fitness yoga and cardio workouts streaming online—they are free and good, also jump on rebounder....
Somehow instead I am just eating and sitting a lot when not hunched over my computer working. ...
I know ski season will come again and I want to have more stamina and strength by then, so need to work at it now.

Jilly

Staff member
@kiki - I know how you feel. I caught myself on Tuesday - boredom eating. Yes it is syndrome. I've being following the NOOM approach to eating and it is one of many of their psychological approaches to food.

This morning the gym I belong asked members if they wanted the work-outs taped or not. Since all but 1 this week is at 2pm, and I'm working, I voted to keep taping. I'm going to try some of them.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Zoom workout with my trainer 3x a week. Fortunately, I have weights, bands, exercise ball, etc. I also picked up a TRX when all this started. My trainer plans my workouts incorporating all my toys. I'm required to sign up, just like normal in person training sessions. Keeps me accountable and makes it harder to back out. On warmer days I bicycle around my neighborhood. I have an indoor bike trainer and am thinking of getting cadence and speed sensors to make my indoor rides more interesting. Also getting neglected spring yard work done. I have left over paint from former projects so when it gets warm enough to open windows I'm going to do some painting. The walls could use some freshening up. Spring house cleaning fits in there some where, too. Sounds like next week second home owners will be able to go check on their properties. If so we'll go clean out our condo.

Since I'm retired I feel I'm adapting pretty well. I miss getting my weekly massages and going to the gym but I think I'm going to get some projects I've put off for a long time done, I hope.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm on the stationary bike every morning, then free weights. I'm taking an on-line pilates class once a week, and running at least twice per week in our rural neighborhood.

I am buying one of the spin bikes from the studio. We are trying to figure out how to stuff it in my Honda CRV! And I have a trusted friend near my home to help me get it up into my condo. Only two steps up and in a storm door, but a little ambitious for me without help. i’m going to put it in the living room in front of the TV to discourage me from just sitting and watching TV!

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Not gonna lie; it's been rough. In "normal" life I'd have twice-a-week spin class with music and an instructor, but that's out the window. The studio I go to is streaming recorded classes, but the thing about small-apartment city living is that there just straight-up isn't room for a stationary bike.

There are a couple parks nearby I can walk to/around, and I can bike around the city if I want, so I've been doing more of that, but it's definitely not deliberate exercise on the same level I was getting before.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I've been walking when the weather is good. Starting last week I've been walking 3-4 miles every day.

Also (finally!) cleaning up the yard from its winter growth of weeds. Why do weeds grow so much better than nice plants???

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not gonna lie; it's been rough. In "normal" life I'd have twice-a-week spin class with music and an instructor, but that's out the window. The studio I go to is streaming recorded classes, but the thing about small-apartment city living is that there just straight-up isn't room for a stationary bike.

There are a couple parks nearby I can walk to/around, and I can bike around the city if I want, so I've been doing more of that, but it's definitely not deliberate exercise on the same level I was getting before.
If you have a road bike you can buy a magnetic trainer (fold up) to put you bike on. Just make sure the trainer you buy matches the skewer on your hub. I bought mine from Performance many years ago and still use it. It works best on hardwood or tile floors. I also have a rubber mat underneath it to keep it from walking and to protect my floors. The mat measures 3'x6' so it's doable in a small space.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

Think now is the time to bike around the city with fewer cars/buses on the streets . Not sure where you live but riding through GG Park to Ocean Beach would be great fun...

gingerjess

Angel Diva
If you have a road bike you can buy a magnetic trainer (fold up) to put you bike on. Just make sure the trainer you buy matches the skewer on your hub.

That's super helpful, actually! I'll have to look into that. My previous experience with a bike trainer was when my dad got a set of "rollers" for winter training when I was growing up and tried to teach me to use them—could never get consistent balance!

Not sure where you live but riding through GG Park to Ocean Beach would be great fun...

True—and the trek from the Mission and back would be a nice long ride!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
That's super helpful, actually! I'll have to look into that. My previous experience with a bike trainer was when my dad got a set of "rollers" for winter training when I was growing up and tried to teach me to use them—could never get consistent balance!

Oh you live in the Mission? Yes you would have a great ride..... thinking how you would do this? Cross Market St @ 14th or so and go to Fell Street?
Weather here in SC is beautiful so imagine SF is nice too this week !

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

The type of trainer I'm talking about attaches to your back wheel hub. Very stable and you do not need to remove the wheel so set up is very easy. For classes you will need Speed/distance or cadence sensors. Garmin and Wahoo make them. Setup on bike is supposed to be very easy. They are Bluetooth compatible so connect with your phone, watch or bike computer.

I have a very old version of this one. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...22A49575E8D7D5F152A800EA3182&ts=1587657287922

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly