• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How are ski boots SUPPOSED to feel?

mustski

Angel Diva
My boot fitters have always taken the spoilers out of my ski boots. I have been having a problem with feeling like - once I warm up - there is too much space behind my calf. If I tighten the top buckle, it really creates havoc with my already poor circulation. I put the spoilers back in just to see. Problem solved! It takes up the space and the spoilers that came with the boot doc liners are so pliable that they don't push me too far forward.

@knolan12 I always have some numbness in my left foot but it doesn't always cause pain. If my top buckle is too tight - pain. If it is correct - numbness but no pain.

@skiwest As to burning under the balls of the feet ... yes a custom footbed can definitely help. It can help to keep your feet from slipping forward in the boot. This can prevent toe bang and keep the pressure off the balls of your feet. It is possible to slip forward in just micro amounts and that puts all your weight onto the balls of your feet.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have always been told don't come back for adjustments until you've skied ten days in the boots. And they've already been right about that. Unless it's excruciating. I actually waited over 70 days before having a toe blown out because I didn't want the boots "packed out" by some shop attempt to fix a hot spot that ended up not being exactly right. This is why I have 431 days in my current boots. Lol! I confess, they might be slightly sloppy at this point. But I hate getting new boots.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Me again complaining about my boots haha :noidea:

My feet were numb again (like sitting there for 15 min before a lesson, toes were going numb). I think I need to get my toe box widened a bit. When I put on my boots, I can immediately feel both big toes pushing against the edges on both the sides and tops. They end up being tender throughout the day from pushing through into the sides. Also, the inner sides of my calves feel a bit tender in spots, but not sure if that's normal or should be addressed. I do have muscular calves/wear wide calf knee high boots so I think it might be too much lining (I only wear socks in my boots, no base layers).

I tried playing with the buckles, but to no avail. My ski instructor also said that my cuffs weren't aligned to my legs and to get those calibrated, but that didn't sound like it might affect my feet? He gave me ski tips to get the pressure off my feet which I'll def try as well.

Anyway, do these modifications sound like normal requests? I'll pop to the Ski Monster tomorrow if yes. We're going to Bretton Woods next Mon/Tues so I want to make sure I can really enjoy it :smile:

Yes, your requests are normal. Toes should not be tender, and feet should not be numb. You say you are skiing at Bretton Woods. Somewhat nearby is my favorite bootfitter. Since he got me in boots that finally fit my feet, I'll never go to anyone else. I recommend going to him.

He is Adam Greenier at Sport Thoma in Lincoln NH. The shop is at exit 33 off I-93. He's a Level III PSIA instructor turned into master bootfitter. I had my toe boxes widened by Adam and the ceiling of the toe box raised when the boots made my toes scream with pain. He did a lot more too; my feet are a perfect storm for screwing up my skiing and for years bootfitters put me in the wrong boots and didn't bother to help those boots fit my feet properly. He knows what he is doing, and is willing to go the extra mile for people. This Sport Thoma has a large race department, so they are fully stocked with the things necessary for doing whatever is needed to get boots to fit properly.

Numb feet should not be happening to you. Somewhere in your feet, maybe on the top of your foot or on the side of your ankle or maybe inside the forefoot somewhere you've got nerves being squished by the boots. This can be fixed if the bootfitter knows how a foot works. Try Adam if your regular guy can't fix this. Be sure to call the shop first to make the appointment.

knolan12

Angel Diva
Yes, your requests are normal. Toes should not be tender, and feet should not be numb. You say you are skiing at Bretton Woods. Somewhat nearby is my favorite bootfitter. Since he got me in boots that finally fit my feet, I'll never go to anyone else. I recommend going to him.

He is Adam Greenier at Sport Thoma in Lincoln NH. The shop is at exit 33 off I-93. He's a Level III PSIA instructor turned into master bootfitter. I had my toe boxes widened by Adam and the ceiling of the toe box raised when the boots made my toes scream with pain. He did a lot more too; my feet are a perfect storm for screwing up my skiing and for years bootfitters put me in the wrong boots and didn't bother to help those boots fit my feet properly. He knows what he is doing, and is willing to go the extra mile for people. This Sport Thoma has a large race department, so they are fully stocked with the things necessary for doing whatever is needed to get boots to fit properly.

Numb feet should not be happening to you. Somewhere in your feet, maybe on the top of your foot or on the side of your ankle or maybe inside the forefoot somewhere you've got nerves being squished by the boots. This can be fixed if the bootfitter knows how a foot works. Try Adam if your regular guy can't fix this. Be sure to call the shop first to make the appointment.

Thanks so much for the recommendation and validation! I'll definitely give him a ring if I'm still having issues.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Just so you know.... it took me at least 10 years of skiing before I really knew what a ski boot should feel like, lol! Seriously.... Trying on lots of boots helps. The biggest thing I have found is that I can't handle ANY ramp angle. They need to be flat. NO HEEL LIFT! That's a huge thing for me.

mustski

Angel Diva
The spoilers working for me must have been fluke because, today, I had forefoot pain that went away when I took them out. Oh well, it's back to too much calf room.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly