• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How are ski boots SUPPOSED to feel?

knolan12

Angel Diva
The short story is that I bought new ski boots in November and only got to try them out this past weekend and they were a DISASTER.

The reason I went looking for new boots is that my old ones were making my feet fall asleep after a couple of hours which was causing leg pain so I'd have to stop skiing. I am a wide calf lady so I thought that might be the issue and brought them into a shop to see if they could be saved. Turns out, my boots were two sizes too big (27.5 and I was measured at 25.5). We determined that my feet were falling asleep because they were moving around too much and that I was wearing too thick of ski socks. I tried on a few pairs of boots, picked out a pair of Fischers, molded them, and was on my merry way.

I finally just got out to ski this past weekend and it. was. awful. Within a half hour my feet fell asleep and was causing pain. It ended up being so bad that I couldn't even get down a green. I couldn't feel my feet and was in pain so every time the trail pitched, I couldn't turn. It was awful. I ended up just hanging out in the learner's area working on nitpicky technique work so that the lift ticket wasn't a waste. We also had tickets for yesterday so the plan was to warm up on the learner's area, then I would go in and wake up my feet/stretch it out while my husband skiied a few trails, and then we attempted another green. Got 1/3 of the way down the trail and was in serious pain. It ended up taking forever to get down the trail and it was embarrassing and the opposite of fun.

I'm going to go back to the shop this weekend to see what I can do to adjust my boots. Comparing these boots to the my old ones, they're taller and I know that's causing some pain on the calves and my toes feel kind of squished (yesterday I immediately noticed both big toes pushing on the sides and the tops). I have one slot left to move over the top latches which will hopefully give a little more room in the calves.

But now comes the big questions: how are ski boosts SUPPOSED to feel? I wasn't fitted for my first boots. They were a Christmas gift from my parents the winter after I learned how to ski in high school (hence why they were two sizes too big, I think they used my shoe size to determine ski boot size) and only realized they didn't work when my (now) husband told me my feet aren't supposed to be falling asleep.

When I was trying on boots, I did say that I could feel my toes at the end of the boots, but was assured that was normal. I know that ski boots aren't the most comfortable things in the world, but how do I know they're TOO uncomfortable when trying them on? Could I have possibly chosen boots that are very wrong for me?

I'm going to go out again Sunday after adjustments are made to make sure they work, but ideally, I want to catch any issues while in the shop. Anything I can be looking for will be super helpful :smile:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I am not addressing the foot pain here, I will suggest in case you have yet to do this, that you check to see if there is a spoiler at the back on the cuff. Removing those (velcro attachment) will alleviate issues related to some calf pains.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Definitely check to see if you have a spoiler on the back of your boots to let out the calf area some. I have one on mine and with the turn of the screw it opened up more area for my calf. I have to really pay attention to not tighten the buckles over my foot too much otherwise they cramp up. I also make sure that once my foot is in the boot, I loosely buckle the ones over the foot, stand and flex, tap the heel on the floor to seat my ankle, and then buckle up loosely the ones on the leg. I make sure to push the tongue back down into the boot before tightening them up good but not too tight until after a run or two. I found that if I didn't push the tongue back down, my toes felt squished and my ankle area felt looser. Sometimes if I'm in a rush to get out the door, I don't follow the steps above and then regret the rushing when I am out on the slopes with numb toes, a loose ankle, or shin discomfort. Doh! Just thoughts on my experience. Hope the shop will be able to find the source of pain!

Last edited:

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My boots fit snug but not tight. I could feel my toes if I stand up straight but my toes pull back slightly when I flex (which is my normal ski stance). Size-wise I wear the same size in both my regular running shoes and ski boots. I find my ski boots comfortably snug but never pain nor numbness anywhere, no matter how long I ski. I did have them custom fitted but only for inserts for arch support, nothing was done to the length of the boots.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How about the stiffness of your boots? Is it matching to the type of skiing you are doing?
When I was trying out for boots, this lady next to me told the boot fitter that she is an aggressive, high speed, strong advanced skier who skis steeps, likes to carve and dig trenches like there is no tomorrow, etc. I have skied with her before as part of a large group and she was nowhere near what she claimed she was. Her high speed was maybe 5mph, she was still wedging and barely making parallel turns and certaining not edging/carving yet. She might be able to come down a beginner slope but certainly not steeps. Based on her description, the boot fitter fitted her with some high performance stiff boots (she also had her DIN set at an 8 for being a level 3 skier). Well, a few hours later when I went back to the shop to pick up my inserts, the same lady came limping in crying, complaining how stiff/uncomfortable the boots were and how she wasn’t able to perform and was in pain. I did not stay to listen in, but ended on the lift with the bootfitter later on in the day and we chatted about it. It bothered him that he could not figure out what’s not working for the lady when he thought they should fit perfectly. So I told him what I know about her as a skier and we found her on an intermediate slope. And that was the “A-ha” moment for the bootfitter. He said he would not have recommended those boots to her had he known how she actually skied, and that’s why the boots he sold her will never perform correctly because it was a mismatch to her skill level!

knolan12

Angel Diva
@Susan L I did tell them I'm an "advanced beginner" and I do not like to do aggressive skiing haha I'm happiest cruising down long greens like Toll Road at Stowe (I find it meditative haha) so fingers crossed he brought me out the correct level haha I'll definitely reiterate that at the shop when I go back in.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@knolan12 I hope the bootfitter can figure out the issue so you can start enjoying the mountain again!!!
I find labels like intermediate, advanced, expert, etc. very subjective! It is best to describe what you do/how you ski, and let the bootfitter pick the right boots for your style of skiing (instead of level).
Keep us posted!!!!

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hope the boot fitter can help! My boots did make my toes a bit tender until the liners were packed down, but that sounds extreme. It definitely helps when I make sure to whack my heel onto the ground with the boot on, before doing the buckles, to ensure my heel is trapped nicely in the back.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm going to go back to the shop this weekend to see what I can do to adjust my boots. Comparing these boots to the my old ones, they're taller and I know that's causing some pain on the calves and my toes feel kind of squished (yesterday I immediately noticed both big toes pushing on the sides and the tops). I have one slot left to move over the top latches which will hopefully give a little more room in the calves.
What type of instep do you have? When I got very lightly used boots for my adult niece (skis < 10 days a season), they fit pretty well. Much better than rental boots. She is petite with huge calves from being a high end ballet dancer for years. After skiing for a day (Whiteface early season), one boot was fine. The other was uncomfortable because her toes were hitting. After an assessment from a good boot fitter (Lake Placid), he said she had very high insteps and would benefit from heat-moldable footbeds. That shops carries footbeds that are about $40, as opposed to $150. She bought a pair. After the molding, it was close but the heel needed to be trimmed. After a second trimming, the look on her face said it all. With the added support for her instep, her toes weren't pushing up into the boot at all.

As I understand it, buckles can be moved on some boots.

I have short legs and reasonably big calves (dancer when young, soccer player in high school). My current boots are 3-buckle. When I wanted to move up to more of a performance boot instead of a softer recreational boot, the 4-buckle option was way too tall. This is the third pair of boots from the same brand. Second pair from the same experienced boot fitter who is local (central NC). I got custom footbeds with the second pair.

The buckle over my toes is on the slot that keeps it from coming loose. No pressure at all. Did the same with 4-buckle boots for the front/bottom buckle.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski boots should feel like a firm handshake.

Shouldn't be making your feet or legs hurt to wear them. They shouldn't feel comfy like sneakers or loafers either, but they shouldn't hurt. Wide calves can be a problem - I have super-wide calves, and use a Nordica with a flange in the back that opens up for a calf adjustment. When I bought the boots, the apprentice bootfitter who was handling it all (under general supervision) forgot to crank that flange open, and I spent two days on the slopes with my calves and hips killing me before I went back and got it sorted.

I do still get a lot of foot pain...but only when I'm trying to ski in the afternoon, because my feet swell up like heck as the day goes by, and I have neuromas in both feet and when my feet swell inside my boots and the boots don't "give" the neuromas start getting pinched. This is some nasty stuff, and feels like a shooting pain in the ball of the foot. Leaving the foot buckles undone doesn't do jack for me - the only solution once this starts up is to stop skiing and get the boots off...so for me, I just ski early and knock off when it starts to hurt. If you're getting a shooting pain under the ball of your foot it means the foot of your boot is too small. Could be that the boot is too narrow, could be that it's the right width but that your foot volume is higher than the boot is made for.l

knolan12

Angel Diva
This is all super helpful!

@Obrules15 My husband suggested compression socks too. My calves recently started swelling on flights so I was contemplating trying those socks with the boots.

@marzNC I'd say I have a fairly normal arch, though I suppose I can't say for certain haha

@Serafina I love this comparison of a handshake. I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is all super helpful!

@Obrules15 My husband suggested compression socks too. My calves recently started swelling on flights so I was contemplating trying those socks with the boots.

@marzNC I'd say I have a fairly normal arch, though I suppose I can't say for certain haha

@Serafina I love this comparison of a handshake. I'll definitely keep that in mind!
If they swell on flights that is very likely the problem. Wear the compression socks prior to the ski day so they are not too large when you start. There are multiple types and levels of compression. I highly recommend Amazon over the drugstore brands as they are way cheaper and much better. When I fly to altitude I actually have to wear two pair.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Obrules15 Have you ever worn compression socks while skiing? I can def wear them prior, but curious if wearing them while skiing might help as well.
Yes, I also wear them while skiing. But if my feet are swollen and I put on the compression socks and boots at the same time, I still get numbness. Preventing the swelling is the only way I prevent the problem in the first place.

knolan12

Angel Diva
Yes, I also wear them while skiing. But if my feet are swollen and I put on the compression socks and boots at the same time, I still get numbness. Preventing the swelling is the only way I prevent the problem in the first place.

I'll definitely try this, thanks!!

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As @marzNC said, Please make sure you do get footbeds - have the bootfitter put the correct ones in for you...as you say you have normal arches, stock ($40 kind) footbeds should be fine. You should not feel any space under your arch - firm handshake there as well. I just got new custom ones yesterday (my old one on one foot was not doing the job any longer, and after trying a few other fixes, bit the bullet) and all I can say is WOW! What a difference! Much more control & comfort. Good luck - it can take some tweaks and you are getting good info. Hope you have a good bootfitter.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I had to stop skiing at lunchtime yesterday - my feet were is so much pain in my boots that I couldn’t continue. My arches were killing me... cramping and miserable. I went to the boot fitter recommended by @newboots bf and was there for 3.5 hours. He created new custom foot beds for me.... seems that my former pair, which were 8 years old, had deformed slightly in the arch and were not fitting my foot properly anymore. I’m hoping for a better boot day today. Anyone skiing I the northeast.... bundle up! It’s COLD!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly