• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

hotronics shutting off

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Hotronics are shutting themselves off, even when fully charged. I thought it was my imagination, but I double and triple checked this morning - they were on level 3 this morning when I went out, and when I came back in after 2.5 hours, they were both completely off. I verified that they'd go back on, so it's not that the charge totally drained (and they were charged up after the last use). Is this auto shut-off a feature? Or is it something going wrong with my packs?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The switches may be hitting something (like the chairlift) without you even being aware of it. That can shut them off. It's happened to me. If you have mounting hardware on your boot strap, move it forward a bit. That could take care of it.

MissySki

Angel Diva
My Hotronics are shutting themselves off, even when fully charged. I thought it was my imagination, but I double and triple checked this morning - they were on level 3 this morning when I went out, and when I came back in after 2.5 hours, they were both completely off. I verified that they'd go back on, so it's not that the charge totally drained (and they were charged up after the last use). Is this auto shut-off a feature? Or is it something going wrong with my packs?

How old are they? My last batteries started doing that when they were getting old. I kept turning them on for awhile, but eventually replaced them because it got annoying as they’d stay on for less and less time.

Can also happen as @ski diva mentioned above, depends if it’s consistently happening and both versus one etc.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Yep, I just had that experience with my two year old electronic mitts, both within two days. Replacing the batteries resolved the issue this very cold week. I don't know how many days I turned them on, but I've been getting more than 50 days total/year.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband and I also had that problem with our batteries when they got old. It was worse when really cold out. We replaced them an problem solved.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is only my second season with them, and I've used them maybe 20 times total, so I sure hope it's not the battery packs going south. When a footrest on the chair is available, I use it, and come to think on it my boot cuffs do knock on the chair. Hopefully that's the problem - I will move them forward.

Thanks!!

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our original batteries lasted 8-10 years using them 20-30 days per year. A couple of times we had problems at the beginning of the season and our ski shop told us that after the batteries have been unused over the summer they sometimes need to be charged for 24-48 hrs to really become fully charged. This only needed to be done once at the beginning of the season.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use these to securely attach the battery pack to my boot's power strap. It keeps the battery pack to the side so it's not hitting the chair.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hotronic-Series-Slide-Strap-Brackets/dp/B002LHZ622

Mine are on the power strap, and on the side, but possibly too far back. They're getting properly charged at the beginning of the season, so if it's the charge failing and not just them getting bumped by the lift, it's a defect in the packs.

My boots are fairly tall, and there are a couple of chairs that I use a lot that are really low, and they knock my boots every time I get on the lift. I hadn't thought that they might be also knocking the battery pack, but it seems the most likely culprit.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Hotronic batteries sometimes change their setting on their own. It's weird. The buttons are not easy to push, so I don't think some gremlin is down there messing with the buttons. It's OK though. I check them often and reset them when necessary. Sometimes one battery will just turn itself off. I'll discover this and push buttons to get it back on with no more issues the rest of the day.

I've often wondered why they do this. So far no pattern of influencing factors has turned up. Mystery.

MissySki

Angel Diva
If you cannot find a cause, I’d call Hotronics up. They do warranty the batteries, and yours sound quite new to be having these issues if it’s not in fact that they are getting hit by the lift or something similiar.

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a friend who had the same issue with his hotronics. He eventually figured they hitting the chair and turning off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna