• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hostel Project

kiki

Angel Diva
Whistler has a hostel, not sure of the cost but remember it will be cheaper for Americans due to the weak CND.
I just booked a couple nights at this one it was $40 CAD for the dorm.
Anyone stayed here before? Do you leave your skis in the car overnight or bring them in to your room?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the suggestions and enthusiasm; I had the flu and then pneumonia for three weeks and I'm so in the weeds at work I can't do much with this project until I get caught up. But I'm keeping track of everyone's posts and will do some research as soon as I can. I'd like to get a sort of running list posted somewhere and just keep updating it as I go.

Right now I just have a Wordpress blog I use for very sporadic work-related writing. I'm trying to split it into two separate blogs and have one devoted to hosting the hostel list. If anyone is WP savvy, my current theme is "Ecto" and I'm not finding it easy to split categories so that it looks like two blogs, or separate spaces within one blog. I'm not married to Ecto, so I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi! The project has been on the back burner due to some massive Life Upheaval, but I do plan to get back to it shortly and would like to have something useful to publish by November 1.

In the meantime, if Truckee isn't too far, the Red Light Hostel was inexpensive, funky, friendly, and clean.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Truckee is at the opposite end... it's north Lake Tahoe and I think @CarverJill is looking for South Lake Tahoe . Can be an hour drive in inclement weather....

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah I saw that one in Truckee. I did find Mello Mountain Hostel in South Lake Tahoe though. Any one stay there?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah I saw that one in Truckee. I did find Mello Mountain Hostel in South Lake Tahoe though. Any one stay there?

Yeah, sorry: I think my site is going to be stronger on the East Coast for a while. I'm working at a ski resort now, so I can't travel during the winter season and will have to rely on other people's recommendations.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Don't know about hostels in South Lake Tahoe.....sorry. Let me know when you are planning on going!

kiki

Angel Diva
Last season I stayed at the HI hostel in whistler. Clean, Safe, relatively inexpensive.
Parking was hit and miss, they have very few spots close by so we had to park far. They provided all linens. Def bare bones but new and safe. A little far from the lifts, ok with a car but otherwise i think you'd need to take the bus. You have to book months in advance as they get really booked up.

Sandrine

Diva in Training
Here are 2 cheap(ish) options in Australia:
- Mount Buller: Buller Backpackers, AU$70/night during peak season in a 4-person co-ed dorm. Very practical location right at the bottom of the slopes and linen included.
- Hotham: Aardvark Lodge, AU$75/night for a weeknight during peak season and I believe the dorms have between 3 and 6 persons. Location is a 5 or 10-minute free shuttle ride from the main village and you have to walk about 50 meters uphill in deep snow with your luggage to get there the first day. But no other hostel/backpacker option at Hotham as far as I know.

GeoGirl

Certified Ski Diva
@marzNC I've stayed at Bunk & Brew in the summer. It's a cute little place and definitely the cheapest option in Bend. The downside is that there are only 2 bathrooms for about 20 guests, and as the toilets/sinks/showers are all in the same room you have to budget a lot of time to get on the waiting list to wash up or use the necessary. Works great if a chill flexible schedule is your jam, not so hot if you're trying to maximize time elsewhere. The staff were great though, and the sleeping rooms were quiet and clean! Their shuttle option is a definite bonus too.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I booked a few hostel stays for this winter.
Mello Mountain Hostel in South Lake Tahoe CA, 5 nights for $292
The Bunkhouse in Vail CO, 2 nights for $142

I'll let you know what they are like

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly