• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hostel Project

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In an ongoing attempt to ski on the cheap, I'm always looking for dormitory or hostel-style lodging near ski resorts. Lodging is a considerable expense and I'm usually exhausted at the end of a ski day and just want a clean and safe place to sleep. I am loathe to pay for more space/amenities than I really need, and I don't need much.

I've been keeping a list of places for my own info, but I thought it might be useful to compile a list of very-inexpensive lodging options that are within striking distance of ski areas, ideally with reviews and logistical information.

Before I make the effort, I'm wondering if such information is already compiled anyplace? I haven't come across anything, but I'm not sure my searches have been exhaustive.

Thanks for any feedback.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In an ongoing attempt to ski on the cheap, I'm always looking for dormitory or hostel-style lodging near ski resorts. Lodging is a considerable expense and I'm usually exhausted at the end of a ski day and just want a clean and safe place to sleep. I am loathe to pay for more space/amenities than I really need, and I don't need much.

I've been keeping a list of places for my own info, but I thought it might be useful to compile a list of very-inexpensive lodging options that are within striking distance of ski areas, ideally with reviews and logistical information.

Before I make the effort, I'm wondering if such information is already compiled anyplace? I haven't come across anything, but I'm not sure my searches have been exhaustive.

Thanks for any feedback.

What do you consider cheap?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never thought of that; thanks!

I think I'm going to compile a Northeast list first and see how it goes.

I'll see if I can track down a lady that sometimes skis w/us at Okemo. She's a member of a club w/ski house and pays 20$/nt!! It's right on the Mt too!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have seen recommendations for the Hostel Tevere in the Mad River Valley. $40/night during winter season.

For anyone who spends time skiing Sugarbush and/or MRG, highly recommend having a meal at the Mad River Barn. Can also be a nice place to stay but already pretty booked up on weekends. Rooms come with a very good hot breakfast. Not quite a B&B but more in that style than a hostel or motel. Right down the road from MRG. The owner of MRG owned the Mad River Barn at one point.

mustski

Angel Diva
The Davison Street House in Mammoth runs around $55/night for a buck room. This is expensive as hostels go, but cheap as far as Mammoth goes!

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've stayed at the Davison Street Guest House. I think it was $37 for a bunk in a shared room in March. There is lots of shared space to use when you are not sleeping. They also have a few private rooms. I think there are a few other similar places in Mammoth as well.

https://www.mammoth-guest.com/index.htm

marzNC

Angel Diva
Vail Bunkhouse in Minturn, located between Vail and Beaver Creek. Relatively new, just opened 1+ years ago (recalled a post from Epic Ski).

https://vailbunkhouse.com

Price starts at $49 / night
A friend from DCSki stayed there and was quite happy. Not your average hostel, but a "boutique hostel" so worth reading the FAQ to see what makes it special. He even learned how to ski back to Minturn. Pretty sure getting a bus the the Vail base was pretty straightforward.

I think rates are higher during ski season, but still a bargain compared to the alternatives near Vail.

Christy

Angel Diva
If it's the same one that was there in 2001, I've stayed in that Whitefish hostel. I was the only person in the place, in September.

Christy

Angel Diva
In town. I was on my way to Glacier. Then I moved to an East Glacier hostel.

If you're referring to Hibernation House, it's the same one. Whitefish Hostel is only a few years (maybe 4?) old. Where was the place you stayed? On the mountain or in town?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly