• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Homage to the chairlift

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh, that was lovely! Those conversations are usually so great. There was beautiful footage of skiing incredible mountains, too.

I'm relieved that I have no ambition (and no expectation!) of becoming a "showoff skier." Some of those jumps and crashes were really scary!

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I am anxious and stressed out and can't sleep, I picture myself on the single chair at Mad River Glen. Definitely my happy place. I love the solitude of the ride up, contemplating the great ski down. But you're never along at MRG--most of my trips there are with friends and it's always wonderful, even when conditions suck. I miss it terribly.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Salomon puts out some of the neatest "mini documentaries". I think I appreciate the lifts more during years that I'm riding the gondola a lot (which has not been this year.) Gondolas are not as enjoyable, even if they are warmer and more comfortable.

I enjoy riding the chairs as much during a fluffy snow fall as I do on a sunny spring day. In a howling wind, not so much!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm relieved that I have no ambition (and no expectation!) of becoming a "showoff skier." Some of those jumps and crashes were really scary!

That was a beautifully done video. Is it about slow, old chairlifts, the ones without safety bars? Sorta. But it's also about expert off piste skiing.

I kept waiting for video footage of normal people skiing groomers after getting off the lift. You know, vacationers, infrequent skiers, children just learning, and even weekend warriors who avoid bumps and fresh snow that's over their boot tops. Those are the people who support the industry. But nope, this video almost consistently shows experts "sending it." I like watching that kind of skiing, but does it have to be the only thing they show??? There was one still shot of a kid off piste getting ready to head down through the trees, and one shot of a crowded groomer full of normal skiers. I think that was it for skiers who might be called "normal."

I just don't get this pervasive infatuation with dangerous skiing.

Last edited:

Peppermint

Angel Diva
I really enjoyed that. Once a year I ski by myself and conversations with strangers on the lift is part of the reason I look forward to a solitary day skiing. Although I would never in a million years jump of a chairlift to get fresh snow, I definitely would enjoy watching people do it!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Very nicely done.

Recently had a chance to ski at Colorado ski areas/resorts that have more fixed grip chairlifts than high-speed detachable chairs. Leads to a calmer vibe, even at a destination resort.

When Waterville Valley could finally open up Green Mountain, they decided that moving an old triple chair made much more sense than spending millions on a detachable quad. It means that skiing over there is much more like the way New England skiing used to be everywhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna