• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Holiday Snobbery!

mustski

Angel Diva
I also am hooked on the Fontanini nativity - my SIL got me hooked. As far as food goes, I cook a prime rib on Christmas. Turkey is for Thanksgiving. The PR works well because I cook a HUGE one on Christmas day and we have leftovers for skiing which begins the next day for us. My Christmas Snobbery -I hate when people say Happy Holidays on December 25th. Come on, it's Christmas day for crying out loud.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Turns out my love of white lights didn't approach my love of the peace and quiet of not constantly hearing how boring my white lights are.
:rotf:
Best line in the whole thread.
:thumbsup:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I struggled with this for the last few years. My mom would send me a huge care package of German holiday treats, many of which I can't eat anyway because of the gluten, and the rest were completely terrible for me - piles of marzipan and chocolate. Last year, I asked her not to, and she respected my wishes - only for me to realize after the fact that a lot of my co-workers were bringing international treats to share, and that would have been a great use! By the time I suggested that, Mom couldn't order the stuff for me. Oh well. This year, neither of us brought it up, possibly because we both are quite aware of my current struggle with my waistline.

newboots

Angel Diva
I love this old thread, and I'm so glad you linked to it, @vickie ! What fun, and how familiar. The mall Christmas Muzak, the white lights vs. colored, the endless rounds of stuffing issues. I am in the real tree (cutting our own on my Vermont hillside), white lights, real food, and homemade gifts to friends and extended family. Usually goodies, but I try to make them excellent and in small packages. We hang one wreath, and put our tree on the enclosed porch, with windows on three sides. Stunning!

I also love candlelight service on Christmas Eve. I hold hands with my daughter and we sing Silent Night together, and I remind her that the first Christmas candlelight service I attended and sang about a baby being born, I was pregnant with her. We both cry. It's wonderful.

captain_hug99

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stuffing! I am a stuffing snob. We make it with sausage, onion, celery, and the turkey giblets. OMG so good!

I agree with a previous poster that said turkey is for Thanksgiving and something else for Christmas. We've also been doing prime rib for the past several Christmases.

This year, something that has irked me are all of my friends putting up Christmas just after Halloween!!!! Seriously??? I can handle Thanksgiving day, fine, but after Halloween? We won't put ours up until December and then keep it up until New Years.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
No lights or decorations up until Black Friday here. We keep them up till the Epiphany, the 12th day of Christmas. That will be January 6th this season. We watch the parade, cook a big feast, try to get in The Christmas Story, and then spend the next three days eating leftovers and decorating. We might shop online but for the most part, we don't do any Black Friday shopping.
Love the idea of prime rib for Christmas dinner! We usually do turkey, ham, or pork loin depending on who's cooking.

Jenny

Angel Diva
We love turkey, so used to do it for Christmas, too. Then we changed it up with prime rib every now and then. Quite a few years ago we changed Christmas from a big dinner to a day-long holiday orgy of hors d'oeuvres.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Well good morning. What a fun thread. I will share my San Francisco Sourdough Stuffing/dressing recipe below. I saved it out of Sunset years ago and it is a family favorite.
I still have horrors from a dressing made for my 1/2 siblings dad. It was the only thing he would eat. I don't even know what is was but I think it was pureed Wonderbread dyed orange. Disgusting stuff.
Now that I don't eat wheat I am kind of stumped. I will make the sourdough one for everyone else. Has anyone either used the Trader Joe GF mix ( I know, I know) or made a rice dish? My sis has a wild rice & pecan stuffing she has made.

Anyway, if you want to try something different and delicious....

San Francisco style dressing ( sunset magazine)
( about 16 cups, I double for a 22# bird)
1-1.5# loaf sliced sourdough, cubed
1/2 butter
2 onions, finely chopped
2 C thin sliced celery with leaves
1/2# mushrooms, rinsed, thinly sliced
1 red pepper (.5#) 1/4 dice
1 can artichoke hearts diced ( my addition)
1/2C finely chopped italian parsley
5 green onions, trimmed and thin sliced
1 can (10.5 oz) chicked broth
2 6.5 oz cans chopped clams
1 2.25 can sliced black olives, drained
2 tsp italian seasoning blend
salt and pepper
2 large eggs
bake bread cubes in 325 oven until dry and firm to touch ( 20 mins or so)
meanwhile, combine butter, onions, celery, pepper, mushrooms and saute until
veggies are limp
Mix cooked veg mixture with parlsey, green onions, clams, & broth, olives
and seasonings, with bread cubes in large pan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
In another bowl beat eggs and then toss the eggs into the bread mixture.
Bake in 350 oven , covered, until hot. 35- 40 mins, 50-65 if mix was
chilled first.
If you want it crusty, uncover for the last 20 minutes

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My mom used to make Stove Top with golden raisins and dried apricots. One year she put green bell pepper in it, ick. The green bean casserole wasn't part of our tradition until much later. I've tried to like it but it always seems to be less than the sum of its parts.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No lights or decorations up until Black Friday here. We keep them up till the Epiphany, the 12th day of Christmas. That will be January 6th this season. We watch the parade, cook a big feast, try to get in The Christmas Story, and then spend the next three days eating leftovers and decorating. We might shop online but for the most part, we don't do any Black Friday shopping.
Love the idea of prime rib for Christmas dinner! We usually do turkey, ham, or pork loin depending on who's cooking.

Finally, someone else who leaves their tree up through Epiphany! Let me clarify that though. If I were still spending Christmas through Epiphany in my home I would do exactly that. My grandfather on my mother’s side was a dual British American citizen. His tradition was to put the tree up on Christmas Eve and leave it up until Ephphany. So that is what my mother did all the years I was home. When I went out on my own I held to that tradition. It just feels right! Now from time to time when I was working I would get it up a day or two before Christmas but never before Christmas week. Old habits die hard. Now that I live in Vermont in the winter in an apartment the size of a postage stamp I forgo the tree. I did get a tiny plastic one a couple of years ago. And it just doesn’t feel right to me. Did I say I’m a little traditional about the Christmas tree!? This year I may be back in Rhode Island early enough to find one of the last Charlie Brown Christmas trees to put up for about five days. I just love the smell and the feel of the real tree. I know it’s a waste especially since I live in a condo and can’t recycle it myself. But it brings me back decades and decades and decades! Thank you, @HikenSki for setting up my trip down Memory Lane!

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Man, what I would give to have some crockpot chili and a powder day. We're always running from one family to another, figuring out food and such. I've commented on more than one occasion how I'd love to do a pizza buffet. Put together a pie you like, throw it in the oven, and just sit around chatting and catching up with family. But we've got too many cooks in the family who enjoy cooking for everyone. I guess they like all the stress. :noidea: Sigh... Some day...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly