• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Holiday Roads, Timing Advice Pls - Denver to Telluride

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband and I are suddenly contemplating flying into Denver to meet our teenage son (who will already be there with his Geneva Glen Camp buddies), and driving to Telluride. Map Quest and resort websites do not always match the reality of driving time. Can any of you give some advice on the drive -- via 70 -- and how crowded the roads might be on the 25th?

My cousin is in Littleton, so we would take off from there maybe around noon and tag team drive to make the long haul...at least 6-7 hours depending on weather and traffic is what we understand. Driven it years ago in the summer.

We want steeps, so Telluride and Silverton Mtn are calling us!:ski2:

Of course finding a place to stay within whistling distance of Telluride now at the last moment is impossible! But we are trying....

Many thanks for any suggestions-
Jen

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm interested in any answers to this, hubby and I are driving from Aspen - Telluride then back to Denver next February.

Let us know how the trip goes!

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, you knew I had to answer this one. :becky:

I've made this drive many, many times. Assuming you hit good weather and minimal traffic, the trip from Denver takes just over 6 hours. (Of course, I like to drive it straight through only stopping once for gas, and keeping my speed up on 70 where it's safe.) I don't know how crowded the roads will be on the 25th, but my guess is not very. And, once you're past Vail (or thereabouts) you're past all the traffic you're going to hit, and it's smooth sailing the rest of the way to Telluride.

(btw...it's actually faster to drive over Monarch Pass via 285 to/from Denver, but it's highly unreliable in the winter (slick roads), so 70 is the better winter option. But remember that should you ever come back to Telluride for our wonderful summer festivals!)

If you have any other questions about Telluride, please feel free to PM me.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, you knew I had to answer this one. :becky:

I've made this drive many, many times. Assuming you hit good weather and minimal traffic, the trip from Denver takes just over 6 hours. (Of course, I like to drive it straight through only stopping once for gas, and keeping my speed up on 70 where it's safe.) I don't know how crowded the roads will be on the 25th, but my guess is not very. And, once you're past Vail (or thereabouts) you're past all the traffic you're going to hit, and it's smooth sailing the rest of the way to Telluride.

(btw...it's actually faster to drive over Monarch Pass via 285 to/from Denver, but it's highly unreliable in the winter (slick roads), so 70 is the better winter option. But remember that should you ever come back to Telluride for our wonderful summer festivals!)

If you have any other questions about Telluride, please feel free to PM me.

Yes, that's what I was going to ask about ... I don't think there will be much traffic on the 25th, so you're safe there, but 285 is a two-lane highway that can be either a blessing for avoiding I-70 traffic, or a nightmare when you get stuck behind a trailer going 35 mph in the snow and can't pass ....

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, that's what I was going to ask about ... I don't think there will be much traffic on the 25th, so you're safe there, but 285 is a two-lane highway that can be either a blessing for avoiding I-70 traffic, or a nightmare when you get stuck behind a trailer going 35 mph in the snow and can't pass ....

I love 285, and much prefer it to 70, but I almost never take it in the winter because the potential for it to be a lot slower than 70 is so high. If however, we are unlucky enough to not have had snow for a couple of weeks leading up to the drive between Denver and Telluride, then it would probably be okay. It's not the sunny parts of the road that would ever be the problem...it's all of the shady parts (and there's a lot of twisty road through the mountains before you hit the flats of South Park that's shady) that might be slick unless it has not snowed for a couple of weeks.

So, play it by ear and see what the weather has been leading up to Christmas to make a final decision on route, but I bet (hope/pray) you'll want to take 70.

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"TSB" MANY thanks for your fast and helpful response. Just what I needed to know. We also have driven 285 long ago -- the camp our kids go to is along it - so yes I have some sense of the twisty nature. And can see how slow and dangerous it could be in the winter. And if there has NOT been snow for enough time to be on it...well, do we want to ski? :ROTF:

How about the route going over McClure Pass? I see that on one of the ski websites? From 70 to 82 towards Aspen, cutting to 133 to Delta.

Also, any chance you know anything about getting the Greyhound bus along 550? particularly at Silverton. I know that is out of your immediate Telluride neighborhood, but I am looking for a way to get our 16 year old son (and maybe college daughter) back to Denver on the 30th. Sounds like the bus stops on a corner or somewhere in Silverton as it heads from Durango to Montrose. Mr. Diva and I would rather get in another day at Silverton if we can....so the thought is leaving Mr. Diva Jr on the side of the road for the bus. :eyebrows: Ski bag and all. No, we're really NOT negligent parents. We're SKIERS! Seriously, both kids are savvy travelers so we'd love to figure this one out. Greyhound website shows the stop in the timetables, but not as part of the online ticketing.

Again, many thanks.

Jen

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"TSB" MANY thanks for your fast and helpful response. Just what I needed to know. We also have driven 285 long ago -- the camp our kids go to is along it - so yes I have some sense of the twisty nature. And can see how slow and dangerous it could be in the winter. And if there has NOT been snow for enough time to be on it...well, do we want to ski? :ROTF:

:laugh: Probably not, but remember northern and southern Colorado are in very different weather patterns. What Vail gets, we don't, and vice versa. As well, Telluride is in what is commonly referred to around here as 'the donut' and storms just tend to sit on us, which is why we tend to get dumped on when storms pass over the San Juans. :thumbsup:

How about the route going over McClure Pass? I see that on one of the ski websites? From 70 to 82 towards Aspen, cutting to 133 to Delta.

It's pretty, but you won't save yourself any time, and in fact, it will probably take you a little longer than sticking with 70, and then coming down 50/550. I know it doesn't look like it on the map, but trust me on this.

Also, any chance you know anything about getting the Greyhound bus along 550? particularly at Silverton. I know that is out of your immediate Telluride neighborhood, but I am looking for a way to get our 16 year old son (and maybe college daughter) back to Denver on the 30th. Sounds like the bus stops on a corner or somewhere in Silverton as it heads from Durango to Montrose. Mr. Diva and I would rather get in another day at Silverton if we can....so the thought is leaving Mr. Diva Jr on the side of the road for the bus. :eyebrows: Ski bag and all. No, we're really NOT negligent parents. We're SKIERS! Seriously, both kids are savvy travelers so we'd love to figure this one out. Greyhound website shows the stop in the timetables, but not as part of the online ticketing.

I actually called Greyhound about this, because it's slightly tricky. You see, my absolute favorite drive in this part of the world is Red Mountain Pass between Silverton and Ouray, BUT it is also steep and twisty and subject to road closures in the winter because of snow. It is the route the Greyhound takes (which you alluded to above) and I wanted to ask them what they did in the event the road is closed. (I'd hate to see you ready to put the kids on a bus, only to have no bus to put them on.) Greyhound told me they reroute the bus through Cortez in the event the pass is closed. This adds an hour plus to the trip (the kids wouldn't love it), but at least the bus still operates.

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually called Greyhound about this, because it's slightly tricky. You see, my absolute favorite drive in this part of the world is Red Mountain Pass between Silverton and Ouray, BUT it is also steep and twisty and subject to road closures in the winter because of snow. It is the route the Greyhound takes (which you alluded to above) and I wanted to ask them what they did in the event the road is closed. (I'd hate to see you ready to put the kids on a bus, only to have no bus to put them on.) Greyhound told me they reroute the bus through Cortez in the event the pass is closed. This adds an hour plus to the trip (the kids wouldn't love it), but at least the bus still operates

You are absolutely sweet and kind to make that call to the bus! Info only a local would know. But what this means, if my trusty map here is right, is that the Cortez route goes Durango to Montrose along 145? Which means kids could not get the bus in Silverton - a trip to Durango for mom or dad. :faint: Oh my, this may test how much their dad loves them....:ROTF:

With our eye on Silverton Mountain, we then need to be mindful of Red Mtn pass closures overall. I recall that pass in the summer. (We are the family that took a Volvo wagon over Engineer Pass. Ehem. Little more wild in spots than even my adrenaline laced Mr. Diva likes.)

:focus: SOOOO...how likely is it that our hope to ski Telluride and then drive to Silverton for the night to ski Silverton Dec 28-29-30 might not be possible?

Road closures are something we are trying to plan for, as much as one can ever plan for that. In fact, one of the benefits as I see it, is that airports will close sooner than a road. Last winter our son got shut out of his planned trip to Denver and his camp's "Winter Workshop" so we well know the reality. Crossing our fingers for this year. But cost is also what is taking us to drive, but at nearly $2000 to rent a 4 wheel for 10 days, any of this may be beyond our reach this winter. Anyone in Denver have a reliable 4 wheel for sale at a good price? :D

What Vail gets, we don't, and vice versa. As well, Telluride is in what is commonly referred to around here as 'the donut' and storms just tend to sit on us, which is why we tend to get dumped on when storms pass over the San Juans.
Ah yes...have heard this before. Definately will keep it in mind.

It's pretty, but you won't save yourself any time, and in fact, it will probably take you a little longer than sticking with 70, and then coming down 50/550. I know it doesn't look like it on the map, but trust me on this.
Excellent. Got it. Will inform Mr. Get There As Fast A We Can.

Again, MANY thanks for your wisdom and help on this. The drinks are on me if we make it to Telluride!

Jen

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are absolutely sweet and kind to make that call to the bus! Info only a local would know. But what this means, if my trusty map here is right, is that the Cortez route goes Durango to Montrose along 145? Which means kids could not get the bus in Silverton - a trip to Durango for mom or dad. :faint: Oh my, this may test how much their dad loves them....:ROTF:

Greyhound kind of suggested the bus would still pick them up in Silverton, but I'd be hard pressed to believe they'd drive all the way up to Silverton, only to turn around and double back to Durango. I'd contact the hotel in Silverton and ask them. They would know for sure. If they did come to Silverton, that would be awesome. But, this is only a 'worse case' scenario in the event Red Mountain Pass is closed, so hopefully Mr. Diva won't have to spend two skiing hours in the car. :ROTF:

SOOOO...how likely is it that our hope to ski Telluride and then drive to Silverton for the night to ski Silverton Dec 28-29-30 might not be possible?

If Red Mtn. Pass is closed you can still get to Silverton going the other direction. Frankly, it's not that much further going that route since you have to go around the mountains either way. The difference is the Red Mtn. Pass route is fewer miles but slower because of the twists and turns, and the Durango route is more miles, but faster and straighter roads. Net, net, the Durango route is probably not that much longer in the winter. The only way you'd never be able to make it, is if there's an avalanche on Lizard Head Pass, which is just south of Telluride on 145, and Red Mtn. Pass is closed. Then you're stuck.

Road closures are something we are trying to plan for, as much as one can ever plan for that. In fact, one of the benefits as I see it, is that airports will close sooner than a road. Last winter our son got shut out of his planned trip to Denver and his camp's "Winter Workshop" so we well know the reality. Crossing our fingers for this year. But cost is also what is taking us to drive, but at nearly $2000 to rent a 4 wheel for 10 days, any of this may be beyond our reach this winter. Anyone in Denver have a reliable 4 wheel for sale at a good price? :D

Have you looked into flying into Montrose, Grand Junction, Durango or Cortez, and then only renting a car for your trip down to Silverton? You certainly don't need a car in Telluride.

Again, MANY thanks for your wisdom and help on this. The drinks are on me if we make it to Telluride!

You're on!

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd contact the hotel in Silverton and ask them. They would know for sure.
Got a message into them yesterday about availability- they don't open until 11/30. Will try some others as well.

If Red Mtn. Pass is closed you can still get to Silverton going the other direction. .... Net, net, the Durango route is probably not that much longer in the winter. The only way you'd never be able to make it, is if there's an avalanche on Lizard Head Pass, which is just south of Telluride on 145, and Red Mtn. Pass is closed. Then you're stuck
OK, good to know. This we can deal with.

Have you looked into flying into Montrose, Grand Junction, Durango or Cortez, and then only renting a car for your trip down to Silverton? You certainly don't need a car in Telluride.
yes, ran those numbers last night. It's $1459 rental in Montrose plus $1740 airfare for 3, another $800 for our son who needs to be in Denver (it takes an extra $300 to fly him to Montrose in addition to his Denver roundtrip). These are for lowest rates for travel on both 12/25 and 12/31. Some of the airfare on other days goes as high as $1200 per person!

Problem with NOT renting a car: so far we cannot find lodging in Telluride either for just 2 nights (5 night minimum most places) or below about $400/night per room. Can't do that at this time. Looks like Ouray may be the closest for a chain motel. We have to get the cost down or we cannot do it at all. At the moment, it looks more like $6000. Son will be in Denver with friends and family 12/21-23 so we want to either have Christmas in Denver with my cousin -- which I would love to do -- or get him to Telluride & Silverton, and us fly in as well for just 4 days skiing (but 6 days total). Seems like the cost is the same either way. Flights in and out of Denver are fairly reasonable -- the vehicle is what is killing us! And can't say we want to rent a non-4 wheel or all wheel drive car and do chains. :nono:

Ah but would we EVER like to make this happen. With kids getting older family trips are getting harder to make happen. Both were at Geneva Glen Camp up Hwy 285 working for 10 weeks this summer, and our hope was a ski trip this holiday instead of the usual family summer vacation. With one outside of Philly for college and the other on the freestyle team at Squaw, it is hard to find 4-5 consecutive days! Since we are sending one to Denver anyhow, we thought we might tag along. :thumbsup: But the numbers are a challenge.

Many thanks for your ideas.... the more the merrier!

Jen

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Problem with NOT renting a car: so far we cannot find lodging in Telluride either for just 2 nights (5 night minimum most places) or below about $400/night per room. Can't do that at this time. Looks like Ouray may be the closest for a chain motel. We have to get the cost down or we cannot do it at all. At the moment, it looks more like $6000. Son will be in Denver with friends and family 12/21-23 so we want to either have Christmas in Denver with my cousin -- which I would love to do -- or get him to Telluride & Silverton, and us fly in as well for just 4 days skiing (but 6 days total). Seems like the cost is the same either way. Flights in and out of Denver are fairly reasonable -- the vehicle is what is killing us! And can't say we want to rent a non-4 wheel or all wheel drive car and do chains. :nono:

I TOTALLY understand what you're going through...you've picked Telluride's busiest week (heck, it's everyone's busiest week), so finding affordable accommodations isn't easy. But, I can also understand your desire to ski here given your proclivity towards steeps. That we've got! And keep your fingers crossed...if we get a buttload of snow between now and Christmas, we may just be able to open our newest area (Black Iron Bowl) by then. I think that's probably a stretch, but you never know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna