• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Holiday Desserts

elemmac

Angel Diva
We’re back at that time of year again, I’ve been going thru recipes deciding what to bring this year.

There’s a few already mentioned that are solid contenders for this year’s dessert. But figured I’ll resurrect this thread. Anyone have anything new this year?

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Watershed's Fresh Apple Cake or Andrew Zimmern's Apple Cake.

The recipes are similar. IIRC, Watershed's calls for more flour, etc in proportion to the apples and spices. Watershed also says to dice the apples into 1/2-inch chunks. I recommend dicing them much smaller than that or you risk having a lumpy surface.

I chose to use Zimmern's recipe for the cake itself and Watershed's recipe for the caramel glaze. This is the best apple cake I have ever tasted.

newboots

Angel Diva
We’re back at that time of year again, I’ve been going thru recipes deciding what to bring this year.

There’s a few already mentioned that are solid contenders for this year’s dessert. But figured I’ll resurrect this thread. Anyone have anything new this year?

Thank you! I just "found" my cranberry cake recipe, which I had entirely forgotten. I'm printing it.

Not to mention all these other recipes . . .

Thanks again, @elemmac!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought I had posted this recipe, but I didn't find it here.

Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake

Requires no special treatment -- no springform pan, no water bath.

As published, the filling fits in a standard packaged 9-inch graham cracker crust. When I bake it, I make 2 changes:
  • increase all ingredients by 50% and bake it in a 9-inch deep dish glass pie plate for 50% longer
  • make a gingersnap crust, as recommended by a reviewer
Gingersnap crust: 1 1/2 cups ground gingersnaps, 1/3 cup butter, and 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans. Mix those together and press into pie plate.

Flavor gets better as it sets, so it can be made a day or two before needed.

elemmac

Angel Diva

As published, the filling fits in a standard packaged 9-inch graham cracker crust. When I bake it, I make 2 changes:
  • increase all ingredients by 50% and bake it in a 9-inch deep dish glass pie plate for 50% longer
Gingersnap crust: 1 1/2 cups ground gingersnaps, 1/3 cup butter, and 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans. Mix those together and press into pie plate.

That sounds yummy. I was pretty set on getting supplies for the peanut butter pie, but this might have changed my mind.

Question though, does it have a think pumpkin flavor like pumpkin pie, or more cheesecake with a hint of pumpkin?

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am making this! I have made it before and modified it to be gluten free (basically just subbed ap flour for gf flour in the crust). This year I will modify to make it dairy free because my daughter is dairy sensitive, just using earthbalance non-dairy butter subbed in to the crust. Last time I made it when it was gf the crust didn't get as crunchy as I would have liked so hoping that doing it with regular flour will help. It was tasty though!

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-cranberry-tart-with-nut-crust-recipes-from-the-kitchn-130115

Mary Tee

Angel Diva

I have been trying to decide between pumpkin pie and a cheesecake for Thanksgiving, so this is a no brainer...sounds delicious!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds yummy. I was pretty set on getting supplies for the peanut butter pie, but this might have changed my mind.

Question though, does it have a think pumpkin flavor like pumpkin pie, or more cheesecake with a hint of pumpkin?

This has a milder pumpkin flavor.

For my taste, some pumpkin pies are way overspiced, leaving them dense in both flavor and texture. I always add extra milk/cream to pumpkin to lighten and soften the filling. This goes a step further in toning down the pumpkin.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I just did pumpkin pie vs sweet potato pie side by side and found the texture of the sweet potato pie much lighter, at least in the brand I tried.

And, yes, please to the dessert party!

elemmac

Angel Diva
For my taste, some pumpkin pies are way overspiced, leaving them dense in both flavor and texture. I always add extra milk/cream to pumpkin to lighten and soften the filling. This goes a step further in toning down the pumpkin.

Perfect. Exactly what I was hoping. I'd agree that pumpkin pies can be way too dense in flavor and texture. Good tip on extra milk/cream, I'll have to try that at some point. I've always just avoided pumpkin pies since there are very few I've tried that I liked. But I like pumpkin flavor...so I think this cheesecake will be perfect.

And I agree...YES! to a dessert sampling.

Christy

Angel Diva
I just did pumpkin pie vs sweet potato pie side by side and found the texture of the sweet potato pie much lighter, at least in the brand I tried.

And, yes, please to the dessert party!

I was just listening to a Milk Street podcast with the author of Bravetart where she talked about why pumpkin was an inherently bad filing for a pie, and how other winter squashes with the same spices were a much better idea. I know sweet potato isn't a squash but it reminded me of that.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just listening to a Milk Street podcast with the author of Bravetart where she talked about why pumpkin was an inherently bad filing for a pie, and how other winter squashes with the same spices were a much better idea. I know sweet potato isn't a squash but it reminded me of that.

I actually made a 'winter squash' pie before, with butternut iirc. It was delicious and everyone raved!

It may have been this one

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I listened to this one too! I made this several years in a row to rave reviews, the citrus really brightens up the butternut squash...

https://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/citrus-squash-tart/8278/

newboots

Angel Diva

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly