• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hiking socks?

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My youngest will be joining the Boys Scouts in a couple of weeks. Is a thin pair of hiking socks better than a thick one?

Delawhere

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hike and ski in medium weight socks. I skate in thin socks in the summer and medium weight socks in the winter.

Make sure you avoid cotton. Most sports socks are moisture wicking which makes a huge difference.

If blisters are a problem then he is better off with thin, relatively tight socks. This keeps friction off the skin.

When I am hiking in single digit temperatures, I wear a pair of pantyhose under my jeans and under my socks. I find long underwear too warm and that there's too much friction between my jeans and long underwear. An old pair of pantyhose keeps my legs and toes toasty. I don't think that you'll be able to talk your son into wearing them though....:smile:

Talk to a outdoor shop like EMS, Lands End or REI and they'll be able to help with the socks.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear thin or medium weight depending on which hiking boots/terrain I'll be trekking. I never wear more than one pair or sock "liners"

The biggest thing is: NO COTTON SOCKS!!! That is what will cause the most blisters. I wear mostly Smartwool socks. But have several different brands of wool socks.

Marigee

Angel Diva
When my twins were in the Boy Scouts they wore Smart Wool socks when hiking. They were probably a medium thickness. I wear Smart Wool as well We purchased them at REI. I think LL Bean sells them as well.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! I bought some Smartwool thin and medium weight hiking socks for him. I asked him which ones he liked and he says he didn't feel the difference!! So I am keeping them both. Maybe he can wear one in the summer and the other in the winter.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good choice! Plus, it is always good to have a back up pair!

Christy

Angel Diva
I like thick cushy ones myself. Thorlos in particular. I am a huge fan of Smartwools for everyday wear but prefer Thorlos while hiking.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you are buying boots or hiking shoes for him, be sure that he uses those Smartwools when trying on the footwear!!!
I'm also a Smartwool wearer. I have the Adrenaline Light and Hiking Light to wear with my boots and the quarter sock height of the Adrenalines to go with my trail shoes.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'd like to reassess the hiking socks question since it's an old thread and there are so many options out there.. Any suggestions for a lightweight wool sock? Open to other materials as well.

Right now I have several pairs of Smartwool which are comfortable, but I think they are too thick for summer for me.. I like the cushioning, but my feet were hot and clammy when I took off my boots on a short hike in barely 60 degrees, so I'm feeling like I need something more airy for hotter temperatures. On a longer hike I could switch out socks at the summit, but still.

When I ski I wear ultralight Smartwools and whatever is quite equivalent in Darn Tough. However, my feet are so still in my ski boots that I don't feel as though I need any cushion there. My hiking boots fit really well, and I haven't had any comfort issues or toe bang etc., but we have quite rocky steep rough terrain here so I expect some movement and wonder if the cushion will be missed or not.

Christy

Angel Diva
I love Smartwool as a brand; I wear them skiing and I wear them on a daily basis (e.g. their "trouser socks"). But for hiking, I like Thorlo:
https://www.amazon.com/Thorlos-Moderate-Padded-Light-Hiking/dp/B0009MZW34/ref=sr_1_2?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1525292074&sr=1-2&nodeID=7147440011&psd=1&keywords=women's+thorlo+hiking+socks

Wool just doesn't dry or wick moisture as well. When all these great new merino products were invented I got wool everything, and learned pretty quickly that it's just not as good as synthetic for my summer activities. For example when hiking/backpacking if my T shirt gets sweaty (or it's the end of the day) and I take it off to hang on a bush and dry the wool won't dry. Synthetic will. If I rinse out wool socks and hang them they will still be wet in the morning, but Thorlos will be at least mostly dry.

I tried to go to the REI website to link to the Thorlos I've always gotten--they have always had a zillion kinds--and now not only do I see zero Thorlos at REI I don't see them at other outdoor stores either! Oh no! What is happening to Thorlo? REI has their own brand that is similar:
https://www.rei.com/product/118963/rei-co-op-coolmax-midweight-hiking-crew-socks

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I notice more and more options for ultra-light biking and running socks, which might work, depending on your boot fit.

For summer backpacking and hiking, fwiw, I eschew waterproof footwear. I find that no matter the technology, it doesn't breathe well and my feet are always soaked from sweat. I either use trail-running sneakers or a high-top pair of summer-weight, non-waterproof boots. If it rains, my feet get wet, sure. But my non-waterproof boots also dry out pretty quickly. Trail runners even faster.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
If you're looking for a great budget option - Costco actually has amazing light wool trail socks. They're Kirkland brand, and come, I think, 4 in a pack for 14$. They're actually a mix of merino wool and synthetic. They're surprisingly great quality, and my whole family uses them - SO and kids too. They're the perfect thickness in our boots, and stay dry while we're wearing them.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I love Smartwool as a brand; I wear them skiing and I wear them on a daily basis (e.g. their "trouser socks"). But for hiking, I like Thorlo:
https://www.amazon.com/Thorlos-Moderate-Padded-Light-Hiking/dp/B0009MZW34/ref=sr_1_2?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1525292074&sr=1-2&nodeID=7147440011&psd=1&keywords=women's+thorlo+hiking+socks

Wool just doesn't dry or wick moisture as well. When all these great new merino products were invented I got wool everything, and learned pretty quickly that it's just not as good as synthetic for my summer activities. For example when hiking/backpacking if my T shirt gets sweaty (or it's the end of the day) and I take it off to hang on a bush and dry the wool won't dry. Synthetic will. If I rinse out wool socks and hang them they will still be wet in the morning, but Thorlos will be at least mostly dry.

I tried to go to the REI website to link to the Thorlos I've always gotten--they have always had a zillion kinds--and now not only do I see zero Thorlos at REI I don't see them at other outdoor stores either! Oh no! What is happening to Thorlo? REI has their own brand that is similar:
https://www.rei.com/product/118963/rei-co-op-coolmax-midweight-hiking-crew-socks
I'm with @Christy and was going to suggest good old Thorlos. Those are my favorite if they still even make them.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks for the suggestions! I had apparently been under the mistaken impression that wool was a good choice for wicking and staying dry :noidea:, so perhaps the best way to go is to try a synthetic for comparison versus just going to a thinner wool.

Christy

Angel Diva
Yeah liners really are a thing of the past, when hiking socks meant those thick itchy wool socks.

Much of this is personal preference and luckily socks are inexpensive enough you can try different kinds and see what you like.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
another thorlo vote.
Also I take out the foot beds that come w/my hiking boots and put in sorbi-soles there are several brands, they are thicker than Dr. Scholls padded foot beds.. helps with the cushioning rather than wearing thick socks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna