• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hiking shoes

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So historically I've always just worn my running shoes hiking b/c they're lightweight and have decent traction. Last year we went hiking near some falls and Mark convinced me I should get hiking boots for ankle support and better traction since the rocks around the falls can get slippery. I got these: https://www.ahnu.com/women-boots/mo...ar_AF2506_color=MDNB#start=9&cgid=women-boots

They're night in that they're lightweight and waterproof, but I honestly hate having my ankle enclosed. I was debating getting a pair of trail running shoes to replace them just for the traction, but maybe a trail runner wouldn't have any better traction that my regular old running shoes?

What do you all wear for hiking footwear?

I used to wear my sneakers hiking but lacked the traction sometimes needed on dirt and rocks translation I was slip sliding all over the place. Although DH thought my sliding all over was comical it also can be dangerous so he took me to a REI and I tried on a bunch of shoes including doing the uphill/downhill walk on the rock they have in there so you can simulate what they'll be like hiking. I bought my Keene's 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I am about due for another pair because whenever I will be doing serious walking either on a hike, to NYC or DC, etc I wear my Keene's.

1098093_10151607945118014_57033797_n.jpg

Last edited:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried Keene's last year when I bought the boots at EMS, but they felt wide to me for some reason. I wish I had liked them more since they're lower in the ankle.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm like you: I hate ankle support. That doesn't mean it's not good -- I just can't stand it.

Have you considered approach shoes? These are a hybrid between hiking and climbing shoes, and they're incredibly slip resistant. I have a pair of La Sportivas and love them. I got them after taking some bad falls on some wet rocks. These will have you thinking you're Spiderman. So something you might want to look at.

IMG_4282.JPG

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, just wanted to add to the above post: I ended up replacing the innersoles because I didn't think they were good enough. So if you feel the same way, don't let that dissuade you from getting a great shoe. Just switch 'em out.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use Brooks Cascadia trail runners for easy hiking. They're very comfortable, and a model that's always in production. Salomon Ellipse GTX is supposed to be good. I almost bought them. They're more of a hiking shoe (not a boot, not for trail running) & they have Goretex.

How about a different Ahnu model, like the Sugarpine, or the Oboz brand? Brave Ski Mom did a review of them. https://braveskimom.com/plant-trees-for-the-future-hit-trail-with-oboz-footwear

Keens feel too wide to me too, plus the arch support placement doesn't suit my arches.

Last edited:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Keens are a pretty wide fit. @ski diva is spot on with her rec for an approach shoe. Scarpa tends to fit narrower feet, so you might look at what they have. Five ten also might work for your foot. They have sticky rubber soles so if you are doing a lot of scrambling they will help with that. If you're travelling on loose scree or leaves/debris, then a trail runner might actually be better as they have bigger tread.

As an aside, I never liked having my ankle enclosed with hiking boots but I have an amazing pair of Asolos that I love. I have done lots and lots of hikes (most of the fourteeners we did for example) were in trail runners, though, so they are very versatile.

I am pretty hooked on my Keenes, guess my feet are on the wider side? I wear them a lot though so might get a new pair soon. I'll check out the approach shoes that Ski Diva recommended. I like the thought of feeling like spider woman.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My feet are stupid narrow at the heel, which has been a HUGE issue with me and ski boots. I'd likely have the same problem with my forefoot too if I didn't have bunions making them a more normal width. lol

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a couple of pairs of hiking boots, but I never wear them. I wear Merrell trail shoes on pretty much every hike; I put Superfeet in them per podiatrist recommendation - they have more arch support. Mine are some form of Ventilators (meaning they are designed for airflow, not at all waterproof - my feet get hot):

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-...-hiking&prefn1=itemStyle&prefv1=Shoes&start=1

I totally agree that you want a hiking-oriented sole - Street running shoes have crap traction. But I don't see why ankle support is necessary unless you have a history of ankle sprains or something, or you're wearing a huge pack. Lots of people around here hike in Keen sandals, and I would, too, if I didn't hate getting rocks in my shoes constantly. I've done ten mile hikes with scrambly bits in trail shoes. Of course YMMV etc. And I've had a number of ankle sprains, but nothing that makes me feel vulnerable hiking.

alicie

Angel Diva
I have women's Salomon walking boots and men's merrel walking shoes. Both goretex. Depends where/how far I'm walking what I wear. I find women's walking boots are always easier to find something that fits than women's walking shoes. The walking shoes are always way too narrow and short height wise, plus they tend to be lighter colour, which over here will never work. I prefer walking boots as it's usually wet and muddy or there is a burn to cross. Plus they're comfier. I think if it was hotter and less wet here I'd use boots less.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mostly made the switch to boots because I am almost always carrying a 30+lb pack with my toddler in it when I hike. So, the ankle support is nice although not really necessary. I have the same lowtop hikers as @bounceswoosh, apparently. I don't care for them, personally, but they are functional so I use them (they feel bulky and heavy to me, my Asolo boots actually feel more lightweight). When I was hiking more sans-toddler I was wearing a pair of trail running kicks or Teva hiking sandals

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Keen hi tops with super feet insoles. Many 15-20 mile day hikes in Desolation Wilderness in Tahoe...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Prefer hi tops as have ankle roll over issues so need for support.

Headed to northern UK in 5 weeks anf my Keens will be one of the 2 pairs of shoes i will bring.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have narrow heels, too, and wear Brooks Cascadias with blue Superfeet. I have also used Salomon hiking shoes and they have very good traction and are a bit more stiff than trail runners if you want more stability without going to a boot. My feet are so long that I have to wear men's hiking shoes/boots, which is very limiting; if you can wear women's sizes in hiking shoes, you'll have much more selection and should be able to find a good fit with some really good traction options.

I hike in the northeast and avoid Gor-Tex except in the winter; (mud quickly wrecks the breathability and my feet end up soaked from sweat anyway--I prefer to just get regular shoes that dry out better.)

I only recently switched from boots to trail runners (last year) and it's been a game-changer. They are light enough to allow me to be nimble and make good foot-placement choices, and I find I stumble far less than I did with boots. I do, though, always hike with trekking poles; one for day hikes and two for backpacking. It helps with balance in tricky spots and makes things easier on my knees.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Like @bounceswoosh, I'm a fan of the Merrell ventilator series, although mine are older ("pre-Moab" model). A fit so good for me that I also got the non-ventilator version for colder, wetter weather. Merrell's newer q-form insole is not bad - I generally put green Superfeet insoles into everything but do not need them with these models.

They just slightly wrap my ankles but no higher. Much better lateral support than running/walking shoes, good traction.

Living rural, this is pretty much standard-fare footwear here.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love Vasque hiking boots but must make sure they are the ones made in Italy there are some made in China not so good. yes cost 199$ but my last pair I never had a blister and hiked and lived in them for more than 10yrs.. now on my 2nd pair.. I have a 45yr old broken ankle (that little triangle bone is blown up in my left ankle) so I have to have ankle support. even so I can't trust jumping across rivers etc and landing on my left foot my ankle sometimes totally gives out. (surgery not an option it would entail multiple pins etc)

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I'm of the mind that one only needs ankle support if you are carrying a heavy pack. For day hikes I go with a trail runner or light hiker. Regular running shoes do not have good lateral or torsional support and roll over easily.

Christy

Angel Diva
There is a whole category called hiking shoes. It's what most people wear now--hiking boots are kind of "out." Approach shoes are a little different--they tend to be lighter, which might work for you, but there are far fewer approach shoes than hiking shoes, so don't get hung up on that. It's kind of like ski boots where you go with what fits best. There are tons of good brands.

There are some of us that still wear boots because we need the ankle support. My ankles are loosey goosey and I've had a number of sprains, and they roll really easily. I also have arthritis in one foot and I need real support on the bottoms, which boots tend to provide more than shoes. But if you don't need that, all the better, since lighter footwear is less tiring on your legs.

Whatever you get, put Superfeet in them, unless you know you don't like those. Hiking insoles are like ski insoles and most of us benefit from more support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly