• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hiking at ski resorts in the summer

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's frustrating to me about summer stuff. Magic could care less about disc golf but a couple of the ops people do so they take care of putting the baskets out and maintaining the course etc.

Bromley wants to get rid of the back 9 holes which is the meadows course. Throwing downhill on a wide open course and it's everyone's favorite. We've pleaded with them to keep it. I spoke for the disc golf community and answered a bunch of questions to one of the ops guys. They wanted to get rid of the back 9 and have people play the front 9 (woods) part twice. Everyone loves the back 9. The investment is already done by purchasing the equipment. Just mow it once a week and we good. It's nice to have another adult activity there. They compromised by raising the season pass price from $60 to $85 which I said people would be fine with. Even with the 18 hole price of $25 this is a great deal. I feel like this will be a struggle every year to keep it but I'll be right there taking to Oliver every year.

Now we just need a good summer of weather so we can play a lot.

Looking forward to a weekend at Tenney mountain exploring their course as well.

MissySki

Angel Diva
It's frustrating to me about summer stuff. Magic could care less about disc golf but a couple of the ops people do so they take care of putting the baskets out and maintaining the course etc.

Bromley wants to get rid of the back 9 holes which is the meadows course. Throwing downhill on a wide open course and it's everyone's favorite. We've pleaded with them to keep it. I spoke for the disc golf community and answered a bunch of questions to one of the ops guys. They wanted to get rid of the back 9 and have people play the front 9 (woods) part twice. Everyone loves the back 9. The investment is already done by purchasing the equipment. Just mow it once a week and we good. It's nice to have another adult activity there. They compromised by raising the season pass price from $60 to $85 which I said people would be fine with. Even with the 18 hole price of $25 this is a great deal. I feel like this will be a struggle every year to keep it but I'll be right there taking to Oliver every year.

Now we just need a good summer of weather so we can play a lot.

Looking forward to a weekend at Tenney mountain exploring their course as well.
Good on you for working on this and keeping it going!!

Verve

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Long Trail runs right over our local mountains in VT. It’s one of the most spectacular sections of the trail and includes summits of both Sugarbush peaks (Lincoln and Mountain Ellen) and the tops of the two top Mad River Glen lifts. If you walk the full section - a bit over 9 miles - you can have snack breaks at 5 different chairlift tops :smile: I don’t prefer hiking up the ski areas themselves as it’s quite exposed and hot on sunny days but I will downhike from the summit of Heaven’s Gate on the Jester hiking trail to be able to download on the Super Bravp lift to the bottom when it’s running. Hiking down is much harder on my body than up so love using this little hack to skip the downhill. Sadly won’t be possible this summer as I think they won’t be running the chairlift for mountain biking bc we have a big construction project going on.

I saw an earlier post about hiking on Mansfield (Stowe) which, while challenging, is an AMAZING hike with the option to walk almost three miles of open ridgeline at the top. Similarly there is an option to take a chair/gondola when running most of the way up or just save yourself the down.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mammoth Mountain runs a bike park in the summer. The bike park connects with trails that lead to/from the Village. I've done the trail from the top once. That was quite something. Just learned they have Via Ferrata guided climbs, looks like it's built in the Rogers Ridge area below McCoys! Not sure I'm up for that, but @socalgal might be. :smile:

Otherwise there's lots of activities and sports going on in the area--golf, fishing, hiking, cycling, SUP, kayaking, e-biking. The town ramped up summer tourism with concert events, wine/beer tastings, etc. In the autumn there's an annual Gran Fondo cycling event.

marzNC

Angel Diva
All four of the resorts in the Cottonwood Canyons near SLC have summer activities, including hiking. Even Alta has info about hiking on their website even though no lifts run during the summer. Solitude, Brighton, and Snowbird run a few lifts for scenic rides, with the option of hiking after unloading at the top.

Solitude and Brighton have disc golf courses.

Deer Valley and Park City run lifts during the summer too.

Most summer activities open in mid-June.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have no idea what activities Crystal had in the summer before the sale to Alterra in 2018, but there are plenty of hiking options these days. Not only have hiking, there are Guided Hikes and Interpretive Walks. There is a fee for a Guide and the Walks are free.

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 5.15.20 PM.jpg

Christy

Angel Diva
There's no real reason anyone would go hike around the ski mountain, though. Mt Rainier NP is right across the highway, they are surrounded by millions of acres of national forest plus Norse Peak Wilderness with countless great trails, so hiking around the ski mountain with its development and logged out runs/roads and in recent years, a high end tent camp where people have corporate events and weddings, would be really unappealing compared to the countless other trails nearby. It used to be nice to park in the Crystal lot and take a short connecter up to a very scenic stretch of the PCT but the gondola kind of ruined this--it's so loud. You hear the mechanism along a long stretch of the PCT. Plus in non-ski season there's a lot of construction at Crystal and will be for years to come and that noise carries too.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno, some areas do a nice job with it. And if you're not that fit (many, many people), you can often ride the gondola up and hike up along the ridgelines and get the views. You can also do things like get a beer mid-mountain. Probably not something a serious hiker would do, but most people are not serious hikers.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I dunno, some areas do a nice job with it. And if you're not that fit (many, many people), you can often ride the gondola up and hike up along the ridgelines and get the views. You can also do things like get a beer mid-mountain. Probably not something a serious hiker would do, but most people are not serious hikers.

THIS is more my speed. One of the things I love at stratton I love to take the gondola up to the summit and hike around up there. It's a nice walk to the fire tower. Disc golf and hiking around and having a beer at the mountain is one of my favorite things to do. At bromley we bring lunch and take the chair to mid mountain. We have lunch at one of the picnic benches and take in the views as we play the course down the mountain.

I personally love any activity at the mountain in the summer. It makes my soul happy to ride the chair lift or gondola.

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
Winter Park has few hiking trails; only one that isn't open to bikes. It's a good way to get a lot of vert training in though. The ikon pass gets you a free foot passenger ticket for the gondola. I like to ride up, run around, meet up with downhill bikers for lunch, and then run the back ways out of the resort onto some of my favorite trails that I would otherwise be too tired to appreciate after a big climb.

Christy

Angel Diva
The beer at Crystal is at the base--the mid mountain lodge is only open winter. :smile: Honestly, if anyone wants to hike in that area, ask me. There are relatively easy and quite spectacular hikes in that area where you won't have to listen to the gondola mechanisms or construction noise the whole time. Or have the knee pounding descent from gondola--it's a 3100' descent which probably won't be fun for someone who had wanted something easy.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mt. Sunapee has a pretty great disc golf course; you take the chairlift to get to it and work your way down. They also have some good beginner lift-served mountain biking, an archery course and mini-golf. It's weird to me that the "vibe" is kind of dull/lame there, though. I feel like with a few easy moves (occasional live music, a more inviting seating area, etc) it would attract a lot of people and be a fun hang. As it is, it has a sort of ghost-town feel.

Mt. Ascutney's ski area cracks me up; there's so much bad blood between the t-bar boosters (mostly older people who have retired to their vacation homes) and the mountain bike organization (mostly younger people who live and work here) that the t-bar people built a "hiking trail" up to a lookout area with a picnic table and marked it with big signage and lots of maps. The "trail" is mostly straight up on a gravel work road like a miserable death march. Meantime, the mountain bikers have built beautifully switchbacked, shady trails that go in and out of the woods and make for a great hike, but the t-bar people won't post maps of those trails. I always feel so bad for the people trudging up the work road, right past much nicer trails that are welcoming to hikers. I call the area where the trails intersect "Small Town Dysfunction Junction"

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowbird has Guided Hikes in July and August. There are group hikes for $45/person and private hikes for $130 per person that includes the tram or Peruvian chairlift. The twist is on Wednesdays in July when an easy group hike comes with a 20% discount on selected spa services the same day.

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 4.40.34 PM.png

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mt. Sunapee has a pretty great disc golf course; you take the chairlift to get to it and work your way down. They also have some good beginner lift-served mountain biking, an archery course and mini-golf. It's weird to me that the "vibe" is kind of dull/lame there, though. I feel like with a few easy moves (occasional live music, a more inviting seating area, etc) it would attract a lot of people and be a fun hang. As it is, it has a sort of ghost-town feel.

Mt. Ascutney's ski area cracks me up; there's so much bad blood between the t-bar boosters (mostly older people who have retired to their vacation homes) and the mountain bike organization (mostly younger people who live and work here) that the t-bar people built a "hiking trail" up to a lookout area with a picnic table and marked it with big signage and lots of maps. The "trail" is mostly straight up on a gravel work road like a miserable death march. Meantime, the mountain bikers have built beautifully switchbacked, shady trails that go in and out of the woods and make for a great hike, but the t-bar people won't post maps of those trails. I always feel so bad for the people trudging up the work road, right past much nicer trails that are welcoming to hikers. I call the area where the trails intersect "Small Town Dysfunction Junction"

Will have to check out sunapee sometime. Bromley's course is chair up and play disc golf down and I love it. Would like to check out Tenney's disc golf course and Sunapee's this summer. We've a friend who's in the VA hospital in Manchester, NH so we're working on a NH weekend.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Discovered recently that Big Sky and Sundance include Guided Hikes as a summer season activity. The hikes with a guide include riding at least one chairlift. Not a surprise for Big Sky, but didn't realize how many activities Sundance has that generate revenue during "green seasons."

My home mountain in northern VA, Massanutten, has been a 4-season resort from the start in the early 1970s. I've wandered around on the slopes (easy pitch, mowed grass) a few times. Sugar Mountain in the NC mountains is another southeast 4-season resort that's been around for over 50 years. They also run chairlifts during the summer.

Does your favorite ski resort(s) encourage hiking after the snow melts in the spring?
Good to know about sugar mt. I may be able to get Harold to do this for a weekend!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Good to know about sugar mt. I may be able to get Harold to do this for a weekend!!
The chairlift in the southeast that runs 365 days a year is in Gatlinburg, TN. It was built in the 1950s by Everett Kircher, the founder of Boyne Resorts. The money made in TN helped to fund the growth of Boyne Mountain.

Several years ago, they added a Skybridge when a major fire meant the chairlift had to be rebuilt. That was so successful, Boyne Resort built a SkyBridge at Boyne Mountain. I haven't been on either yet, but would like to at some point.

Michigan SkyBridge at Boyne Mountain, January 2024
MI Skybridge Jan2024 - 1.jpegMI Skybridge Jan2024 - 2.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hiking is very popular at Alta once the snow melts. What's a bit unusual is that no lifts are run. Starting in July, it's possible to drive up the Summer Road (dirt) for a small fee ($12) to get to the Catherine's Pass parking lot. Free parking is available at the Albion and Wildcat bases. As during ski season, parking is limited so arriving early is recommended.

Biking is also allowed on the trails. As of late June, the lower mountain trails are mostly dry, mid-mountain trails are muddy, and the upper mountain trails are snow covered.

The conditions of the trails is reported on the Alta website.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Apparently there is a trail at Arapahoe Basin that is for hiking only. It opened in late June.

June 29, 2024

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CathyR