• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Here comes spring training!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so excited, I just got my spring training plan from my running coach! It's so nice to have it all written out for me from March 8th until Memorial Day weekend. Comparing it to last years I'll build about 2 weeks faster than I did and get to an 8 mile run before Bolder Boulder (last year my longest was 7 miles). I know she would buld me faster but with my skiing she doesn't want to cause an injury either.

All winter I've been doing 2x per week plyometrics for runners with my coach so I feel a lot stronger going into it but my running mileage hasn't been there so I'm a weeeeee bit nervous about that. Just one more week of plyo after tonight and then I get a rest week.

So, anyone else have any spring running races planned? How is training going?

eclaire

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been battling with plantar fasciitis all winter and haven't been doing much other than skiing and some yoga. But today I decided that it was time to start sloooowly getting back into running so I hit the gym at lunch for a 30 minute walk/jog. The feet feel pretty good so my plan is to continue to rehab and build up very slowly and then run a 5K over Memorial Day weekend. If the running is a problem, I'll jump on the bike. But I'd prefer to run...

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What are you doing to treat the PF? I battled it a couple of years ago and seem to have won with only occasional minor flare ups.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was an avid runner in my 20s and 30s... and during that time I developed two over-use injuries: plantar fasciitis and then a year or so later, calf strain. The PF I took the time to really understand the anatomy and nature of the injury - and to heal, do the necessary rehab and work to prevent future occurances. For some people, PF becomes chronic. For me - never had it happen again.

The other one, calf-strain - I developed while training for a marathon and never to time off and didn't get it diagnosed and get PT and so on. Ten years later, I no longer run because every time I do the calf strain rears its ugly head when I get up to about 3 miles. :mad: And since I liked running greater distances, it's just never worth it to run only 1 or 2 miles.

Anyway, I think the reason so many people end up with recurring PF is that either 1) they don't take the necessary time off (or cut way, way, way back), and/or 2) they don't understand why it happened in the first place and therefore how to keep it from happening again. Also, some of the things you can do to stop the pain are actually counterproductive when it comes to prevention!

I'm happy to offer advice, if your PF is a real problem...

3VSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm loving my running at the moment - using my ski trips as fitness goals. Our winter weather has been quite mild and I have managed to continue my outdoor runs through the park (with my dog) more than I would have anticipated - I've not had to resort to the treadmill at the gym too much over the winter. i'll run about 4-5 miles three times a week and it's just enough to give me my endorphin hit - keeps me happy and keeps my dawg happy too.:thumbsup:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm back into marathon training full-on now that I'm able to run again. I'll be cutting it close, with the limited time between now and the race, but I am feeling good. I've also just signed up for the Pikes Peak Ascent in August... sooooo stoked (and kinda sorta terrified).

snow

Certified Ski Diva
I am so lazy, I've ran a total of maybe 8 times between october and now, and that includes 2 races (2 half marathons)

I really want to run the Nike half, you get tiffany necklaces instead of a medal!

Tvan

Angel Diva
I'm new to running and started a 10 week "learn to run" program that is being sponsored by the Hudson Valley Rail Trail association. I made it through the first day without falling down or throwing up!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm new to running and started a 10 week "learn to run" program that is being sponsored by the Hudson Valley Rail Trail association. I made it through the first day without falling down or throwing up!
Congratulations! Before long you'll feel like the running part is second nature and the attempted throw ups only after very hard efforts.

My training began on March 8th. My coach uses mile repeats as an interim marker of progress between races. The first night I did a 10:39 and a 10:56 (yeah, I've never called myself fast). I was pretty happy with that given how little running I did over the winter. This ski season has been too good so my skiing has taken over big time. Last Tuesday on April 12th we did another round where I did a 9:50, 9:57 and 10:10. I am ecstatic! Only three more weekends of skiing then I'm completely run focused.

snow

Certified Ski Diva

So, I really only started running last march,keep at it!! One thing is that, even if you are cardiovascularly fit to run faster and further, do it gradually. Your joints will thank you!!

I'm a martial artist, so i'm quite fit to run, but my joints aren't , my knees were killing me the first few weeks!!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How is everyone's training going? My husband and I just slugged through our 18-mile long run today. It was awful, mostly because of this heat! And maybe residual exhaustion from a climbing trip last week. Next week is 20, which BETTER go better, and then taper for the Steamboat Springs marathon!

Can't believe how close it is!

K.

jelenad

Certified Ski Diva
I run the NYC Marathon this year. Terrific experience, but I ended up hurting my foot. the podiatrist ended up recommending $400 insoles... I just hope my foot heals well...

That's what happens when you try to do too much with too little training.

I hope you had a better experience (at least health wise) at your marathons

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly