• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hemp Oil and other CBD/THC/Marijuana Products

Tvan

Angel Diva
My first sighting of CBD in the mainstream was at Stratton this week. The new coffee/gift shop had multiple CBD products for sale, along with hemp clothing, and for an extra $5, you could get CBD added to your coffee. At Mulligans, they had a list of alcoholic drinks with CBD added... prices started at $15 per drink and went up from there.

I was not tempted.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^ in light of everything I've read in the posts and links in this thread alone, not to mention other places, this just smacks of foolish and unhealthy opportunism.

newboots

Angel Diva
I think you’re right, @VickiK

What is known about mixing CBD with alcohol? I wouldn’t condemn anybody for rubbing some on sore muscles, but this strikes me as trendy and kind of silly.

Christy

Angel Diva
Any new info on this? My mom tore some ligaments in her foot and her actual doctor gave her some of the Purwell 1000 mg salve...

https://www.purwell.com/product/cbd-salve/

...and she said it really helps. My understanding is that we still need more research on CBD products, but I'm wondering if others here are using topicals and finding them helpful.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My boot fitter recommended it. It does help. I can’t decide how much but I know it’s better. I know that’s vague! I also have used it on my knees, my shoulder, my forearm. Ask @newboots. She sent me to the place I got my most recent CBD products.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I work as a due diligence consultant for investors in the cannabis and hemp industries. Unfortunately, hemp-derived CBD products on the market (this will include anything that you buy outside of a licensed cannabis dispensary) aren't regulated and the vast majority do not contain the levels of CBD that they claim to. I can't speak specifically to Purwell products, though I do find it interesting that they were recommended by a physician, since they're not FDA approved to treat any condition.

For context, cannabis and hemp are the same plant -- hemp has simply been bred so that it has .3% or less THC.

There is some good research supporting CBD as an anti-inflammatory, but usually in higher doses than you would get outside of a product sold at a medical cannabis dispensary. That said, the placebo effect is real, and can be helpful. As someone struggling with back pain, I don't sneeze at anything that provides relief.

Research also shows that CBD is most effective at treating pain and/or anxiety when it is used in products that also contain THC; these kind of products can only be sold at licensed dispensaries. When friends ask me what CBD products to try, I always recommend that they go to a dispensary and ask for a CBD-dominant edible or cream. Something with a ratio of 10:1 or 20:1 CBD to THC can often help without giving you a head-high. Products sold at a licensed dispensary have to be tested for heavy metals and pesticides, as well as confirmed to have the concentrations of CBD that they claim on the label -- this is not the case for hemp CBD products sold as supplements or "wellness."

I've also heard good things about other cannabinoids for treating pain, like CBN and CBG (there are more than 100 cannabinoids in the cannabis plant).

This article about the history of the CBD trend came out a week or so ago in the New York Times and is written by a top-notch journalist. I highly recommend it for understanding how we got to the point of CBD being in everything.

Christy

Angel Diva
though I do find it interesting that they were recommended by a physician, since they're not FDA approved to treat any condition.

You know...my mother isn't always, uhh, precise. It's entirely possible when she said doctor she could have meant, anyone that she came in contact with during her diagnosis or treatment. Like someone that works in the physical therapist's office.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get relief from CBD- I have a liquid that takes my migranes away like magic and I have CBD and Arnica salve that helps with my achy old joints.

My DH"s Dr. suggested CBD to try for pain. Some Dr's are open minded and when in chronic pain I think it's worth a try.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get relief from CBD- I have a liquid that takes my migranes away like magic and I have CBD and Arnica salve that helps with my achy old joints.

My DH"s Dr. suggested CBD to try for pain. Some Dr's are open minded and when in chronic pain I think it's worth a try.

Absolutely worth a try! I just try to encourage people who live in a state with legal medical or adult-use cannabis to buy their CBD products from a licensed dispensary so that they can have confidence in how it was grown and what it contains. Over-the-counter supplements sold online or in unlicensed stores do not have to meet the same safety or content requirements (This is true of all supplements in the US, not just CBD products.The supplement and wellness industries in the US are huge and have successfully lobbied to keep the FDA from regulating them.).

Jilly

Staff member
Absolutely worth a try! I just try to encourage people who live in a state with legal medical or adult-use cannabis to buy their CBD products from a licensed dispensary so that they can have confidence in how it was grown and what it contains. Over-the-counter supplements sold online or in unlicensed stores do not have to meet the same safety or content requirements (This is true of all supplements in the US, not just CBD products.The supplement and wellness industries in the US are huge and have successfully lobbied to keep the FDA from regulating them.).

These products are now legal in Canada and I've seen exactly what StayWarm is saying above. There is dispensary locally that is actually testing their competition. Results are interesting. This has been one of the many issues I've had with the whole legalization. Are you getting what you paid for, and how is it regulated. FYI - I am not a user. But I did work for a multi-national company that made vitamins etc. We had to check the potency of all the products as it was considered pharmaceuticals. Not sure where Cannabis in Canada falls under.

Christy

Angel Diva
When friends ask me what CBD products to try, I always recommend that they go to a dispensary and ask for a CBD-dominant edible or cream. Something with a ratio of 10:1 or 20:1 CBD to THC can often help without giving you a head-high. Products sold at a licensed dispensary have to be tested for heavy metals and pesticides, as well as confirmed to have the concentrations of CBD that they claim on the label -- this is not the case for hemp CBD products sold as supplements or "wellness."

I just called around to a bunch of dispensaries and am having trouble finding those ratios. I found one shop that carries a product that has a teeny tiny bit of THC, one that has a 3:1 ratio, and the rest are all 1:1.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just called around to a bunch of dispensaries and am having trouble finding those ratios. I found one shop that carries a product that has a teeny tiny bit of THC, one that has a 3:1 ratio, and the rest are all 1:1.

You're right, ratios that are that high in CBD can be hard to find (I admit I'm not sure that there are many places with 20:1). There are definitely 10:1 products, though -- Ripple's Relief product is one of my favorites, and it's 10:1 (available in Colorado). Another good company to explore is Plus Products (available in California and Nevada); they have a relief product that has an 18:1 ratio.

Edited to add: One more company with high CBD:THC ratio products that I like is Kikoko, available in California. They have a 25:1 tincture and their herbal teas are lovely.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was in a pretty serious car accident last summer (not my fault) and had some ongoing back issues as a result. Though I went the traditional western medicine route for much of my therapies, I did have cupping, dry needling and was recommended to obtain some THC/CBD salve. Its not legal in my state, but I did travel to one where it was and purchased a salve by Mary's - its the Compound, and has about a 50/50 THC/CBD blend in a shea base, but has very small amounts of menthol and camphor. It has a slight smell and minimal cooling effect - if BioFreeze is a 10 on the icy hot stink and sting scale, Mary's is a 1. It does help, absorbs quickly and is non-greasy. If you've ever tried a lidocaine patch, its about the same pain relieving effect. Definitely does NOT get you high in this topical application, though I am sure it would result in a positive THC test. Price is on the high side - The 1 oz jar was around $50 before all the taxes, but it lasts FOREVER. I use it pretty regularly and it is still at least 1/3 full. https://marysmedicinals.com/product/transdermal-compound/

Christy

Angel Diva
@Blondeinabmw what is the mg of that product?

So I went to a dispensary yesterday that looked like they'd have the 10:1 products. I talked to staff and they highly recommended a different product with a 1:1 ratio, they swore up and down I would feel any high (I'm not prudish about this, but I want a product I can use before exercise). So I bought it and indeed, there is no high. BUT--the main product they showed me was 125 mg, but I ended up buying a small size of the same product, but when I got home I noticed it was only 37 mg. I know the stuff my mom likes, without thc, is 1000, and there are a lot of products that are 125-250 mg. So I wonder if my product is too low in mg. This is one of the many problems with this stuff I imagine. What is the right mg? And how often can I apply it? I know people have died from applying BenGay/Icy Hot too often!

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am pretty sure it is 100 mg of each, but I will look this evening and report back. There's a sticker on it that says.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
BUT--the main product they showed me was 125 mg, but I ended up buying a small size of the same product, but when I got home I noticed it was only 37 mg.

@Christy, what size container did you end up buying? The strength of the ointment will depend on the ratio of CBD/THC per ounce; I'd guess that if someone had an ointment with 1000mg total, it'd have to be a pretty big jar!

And, of course, as mentioned by @StayWarm, it's wise to be wary of the content ratings for any "supplements" purchased outside a licensed dispensary in a state that regulates cannabis sales.

Christy

Angel Diva
@Christy, what size container did you end up buying? The strength of the ointment will depend on the ratio of CBD/THC per ounce; I'd guess that if someone had an ointment with 1000mg total, it'd have to be a pretty big jar!

And, of course, as mentioned by @StayWarm, it's wise to be wary of the content ratings for any "supplements" purchased outside a licensed dispensary in a state that regulates cannabis sales.

It's a little 0.5 oz tin, with 37 mg each of thc and cbd.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
It's a little 0.5 oz tin, with 37 mg each of thc and cbd.

Okay! So that'd end up being equivalent to a 75mg/75mg mixture in a 1oz jar. That does sound on the low end of the range, but not excessively so (and because of the THC, it's not strictly comparable to CBD-only ointments).

If you mentioned to the person at the dispensary that you hadn't tried it before, they may have just steered you towards a less potent formula to make sure you get a good sense of what it does for you; everyone is a little different, so starting with a low dosage is a good call.

It was a good choice to get a smaller tin to give it a try! If you like it as-is, you can always size up with the same formula next time; if you want something stronger, you can go for that; if you just hate it, there's less waste!

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Blondeinabmw what is the mg of that product?

So I went to a dispensary yesterday that looked like they'd have the 10:1 products. I talked to staff and they highly recommended a different product with a 1:1 ratio, they swore up and down I would feel any high (I'm not prudish about this, but I want a product I can use before exercise). So I bought it and indeed, there is no high. BUT--the main product they showed me was 125 mg, but I ended up buying a small size of the same product, but when I got home I noticed it was only 37 mg. I know the stuff my mom likes, without thc, is 1000, and there are a lot of products that are 125-250 mg. So I wonder if my product is too low in mg. This is one of the many problems with this stuff I imagine. What is the right mg? And how often can I apply it? I know people have died from applying BenGay/Icy Hot too often!

So one thing to keep in mind is that the total mg on the bottle isn't necessarily reflective of the dose you will have; it's fine to try a smaller bottle with lower total mg in the bottle, since the concentration in whatever you apply on yourself (sounds like a topical) should be the same. No one is getting a 1000 mg dose of CBD. Even the only FDA-approved pharmaceutical that contains CBD, Epidiolex (which treats severe forms of epilepsy) tops out at 100 mg CBD/ml. So the bottle of what your mom likes might have 1000 mg in it total, but she isn't applying that much at once.

Dosage with topicals is harder than with edibles, and dosage in general is one of the hardest nuts to crack in cannabis. Most recreational (rather than medical) edibles range around 5mg THC to 10mg THC per dose (a full chocolate bar, for example, might have 100mg THC, but will be marked so you know how much one square/dose is). Topicals don't really have the same guidance, in my experience.

That said, the good news is that it is essentially impossible for you to die from consuming too much cannabis. Eating too much of an edible may make you feel nauseous, extremely anxious, or may make you so sleepy that you spend a full day on the couch, but it will not actually damage you. I wouldn't worry about applying too much of a topical, but not sure about the other ingredients in the botle, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly