• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hemp Oil and other CBD/THC/Marijuana Products

Christy

Angel Diva
My FIL swears that cannabis is a miracle drug that takes away his back pain, indigestion, and headaches. He primarily smokes it and says that indica will help with anxiety, pain etc whereas sativa (and hybrids) will amplify anxiety and pain. I tried it a couple of times (smoking it) for hip pain and insomnia and it didn’t help either though it was a nice mellow high. I have tried the topicals and they work quite well but they are VERY expensive. I am toying with making my own. It seems that a lot of the senior crew at the dog park are quite knowledgeable about home brews. They cook it in the crock pot in coconut oil. The trick is to grind the weed as fine as flour and cook it for 12 hours. I just forgot to ask how much of oil and how much of weed. They all say that weed with THC work better than CBD

Well, yeah, I think we know that weed/THC does have some proven medical uses. And hey, if it helps for unproven ones why not. The jury is out on CBD though.

Hey look, I remembered to call it weed! I'm told that calling it pot dates me. :-(

newboots

Angel Diva
Will I understand the articles, lol? Thanks - I’ll give it a try.

I often don’t but usually I can get the gist. The best ones are review articles, or meta-analyses, that synthesize info from many studies. A single study is interesting, but doesn’t prove anything. Really. Despite how they grab the headlines.

ride_ski

Angel Diva
DH and I have used different forms of CBD- CBD infused honey, balm for topical, and liquid for under the tongue. All of these from a company in VT that makes it. My experience is the balm and the liquid seem to work better than the honey. I have used the balm on my knee when it is angry. It seems to help. The liquid is the most potent and seems to work the best, but it does taste how you would expect.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wanted to echo @newboots's caution that there are few well-designed studies of the effects of CBD. There is only one CBD-based medication, Epidiolex, that has been sufficiently studied to be deemed worthy of approval by the US FDA, but for only one specific form of seizures.

So, until more is known, all information is anecdotal, and specific to the individuals using them. Indeed, even if there are lots of studies, we need to remember that “individual results vary”. With cannabis, this is far more so than with other herbal medications, for reasons discussed below.

In the mean time, here are some guidelines I share with my clients (as a counselor without prescribing authority) for any medication for anxiety or pain. Most of these do not apply to the situation discussed in the OP, since they relate to long-term use, but I feel compelled to post some cautions for those who want to try something new for their symptoms.

(The advice here does not apply to medications like anti-inflammatories, anti-depressants, immunosupressants, etc., that work very differently, and kick in slowly.)

1) If you find that your anxiety/pain medication kicks in quickly and/or wears off suddenly, be sure to use it sparingly. Any substance that is quick-acting carries the risk of addiction, because the brain quickly learns what brings the relief, and tries to feel more and more of the relief by exaggerating/exacerbating the “bad” symptoms. Try to find a variety or method of delivery (other than repetition) that brings slower relief and/or makes it last longer. Or use it infrequently, for temporary relief or with long breaks, rather than for continuous relief.

2) Any medication that brings quick-ish relief from anxiety or pain carries the long-term risk of exacerbating the anxiety or pain. The reason is that anxiety/fear and pain are necessary for survival; if the brain goes through a prolonged period without anxiety or pain, it realizes something is off, and will ratchet up the sensitivity in order to feel something, anything, that is happening. In some cases, the brain will instead/also opt to simply become less sensitive to the medication itself; the medication will eventually become useless. Because of this, it is necessary to let yourself feel some anxiety and pain; my rule of thumb is to a) aim for about 50-70% relief, rather than 100% relief, at any time, and b) allow the symptoms to return quite a bit before taking the next dose. NEVER use extra medications for temporary “breakthrough” pain or anxiety; if they are indeed temporary, the more you ride those out, the better. Panic attacks may be an exception; however, if you are having one or more panic attacks a day despite taking “rescue” medications, you may in fact be experiencing a rebound from the medication. In case of rebounds, consider (and discuss with your prescriber, if any) taking lower doses.

3) Almost all anxiety and pain medications carry the warning: “do not operate heavy machinery.” And “heavy machinery” includes cars and, unfortunately, skis. The reason is obvious: anxiety and pain medications work essentially by dulling the nerves, and this slows down ALL nerves, not just the pain receptors you want to target. Slower nerves mean more accidents. The warning applies to topical application as well, unless the medication only affects the applied area: when topically applied, capsaicin, benzocaine, and lidocaine, for instance, tend to stay in place, but CBD, menthol (Tiger Balm, Bengay), and salicylic acid (Aspercreme, Bengay) do not.

4) There are more reasons why being on medication for anxiety and pain will make you more prone to injury. Anxiety and pain are supposed to give us warnings when we are overdoing things. Without this warning, we are more likely to overdo things. You may also overstrain one part of the body to protect another part of the body; without pain signals to warn you, you won’t realize you are doing this until it’s too late. Different muscles’ nerves respond differently to medications, too, creating an imbalance in muscle strength, which creates strain in ligaments and joints.

5) And one specific to cannabis. Worse so than with other herbal preparations, cannabis-derived products are rarely standardized. Each strain of cannabis—not just “sativa” vs. “indica” vs. “hemp”, but every named variety—has a very unique combination of constituents with wildly varying effects and side effects. Even if you stick to the same named variety, you will find huge differences from batch to batch, sometimes even plant to plant, because of uncontrolled genetics, growing conditions, processing conditions, etc., even if you control your dosage strictly. Test every new batch you get with a low dose.

6) Beware that some people will react to a medication in a manner completely opposite of the common response. This is especially true with people with history of traumatic brain injury, chronic PTSD, ADHD, and autism.

I am not disputing CBD’s effectiveness. In fact, most of these cautions apply if and only if CBD is effective for you. The same warnings apply to other “natural” pain and anxiety medications like kratom, kava kava, and valerian root, not to mention synthetics like opioids (hydrocodone, oxycodone, fentanyl, etc.) and benzodiazepines (clonazepam, alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam, etc.).

One additional word of caution for cannabis-infused food: with each batch, wait at least an hour after ingestion to get a sense of how much it affects you. It kicks in very slowly, which is good in view of my warnings above, but people often mistake this to mean there is no effect, and ingest too much. If it is your first time ever using a cannabis product, do not do it alone.

Effects of cannabis on animals are even less known, but there is some suggestion that cats are very sensitive to THC. Dogs are generally not as sensitive, but some may eat vast quantities of the stuff. All species may exhibit aggressive behavior and/or be prone to injury. It should presumed that there is a great deal of variation in sensitivity from breed to breed. And remember: cats and dogs are very small, compared to us. All in all, use great caution; even with a veterinarian’s guidance, always start with the smallest dose recommended.

Last edited:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For my Mom's situation, I think I'll ask the doctor at the next visit, and otherwise rely on the hydrocodone if necessary. I appreciate everyone's input, it helped me sort out my thoughts.

newboots

Angel Diva
@Fluffy Kitty - well said, carefully explained - thank you!

I would add, don’t use Kratom. I expect it also varies considerably, but I have seen terrible outcomes with this in my work in the courts, and have received terrifying reports in the medical center where I work now. Dangerous.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Never heard of it until now. Good to know.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would add, don’t use Kratom. I expect it also varies considerably, but I have seen terrible outcomes with this in my work in the courts, and have received terrifying reports in the medical center where I work now. Dangerous.

Yes, definitely. Kratom basically has all the risks and side effects of opioids plus all the risks and side effects of mehtamphetamine, including respiratory depression, psychosis, liver toxicity, and kidney toxicity. Some of its constituents can be used separately as beneficial medications, in controlled doses, but the raw form is a prime example of "natural" and "traditional" medicine not necessarily being "safer".

Jenny

Angel Diva
Not that I’m at all interested in kratom but can you even get that legally? It always seems to feature in horrible news stories. Like the ones where people chew off someone's face.

newboots

Angel Diva
There’s what we used to call a “head shop” where I used to live where it’s sold. Awful.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I too purchased a topical CBD oil through a friend selling for a multi level marketing company (it's called cann I be and the brand is posh). It's a skin care company and is specifically recommended for topical use. I've had good results using it for sore muscles and also menstrual cramps. It was the first time since I was 12 that I got through an entire period without having to take advil, and I didn't have any major pain after my first 2 days on skis this season! It is all individual, and I absolutely encourage that any treatment for any ailment should be discussed with your doctor, but that's my story

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of my 70+-year-old Pilates clients told me today that her daughter gave her CBD oil for Christmas! Neither one of us can decide what to think about that!

Christy

Angel Diva
This is the scary part (per the NYT article).

A 2017 study in JAMA reported that only 26 of 84 samples of CBD oils, tinctures and liquids purchased online contained the amount of CBD claimed on their labels. Eighteen of them contained THC, which could lead to intoxication or impairment in some individuals. And a quarter had less CBD than advertised. The F.D.A. has likewise found many products that did not contain the amount of CBD they were claiming.

But here's the interesting part. None of us are using it for epilepsy here, but some forms of it are doing something helpful--I don't think we are just talking about snake oil here.

This year, the Food and Drug Administration approved Epidiolex, a CBD concentrate, for two rare and severe forms of epilepsy, on the basis of several clinical trials.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
One of my 70+-year-old Pilates clients told me today that her daughter gave her CBD oil for Christmas! Neither one of us can decide what to think about that!
My 79 year old mother gave me and my sister each a CBD stick for Christmas - she lives in VT and has become very homeopathic in the last several years. I have early arthritis in my thumb joint on both hands - I rubbed some on and actually did think it helped.....or maybe that was the wine

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried Charlotte's Web CBD oil. I thought it might help me get restful sleep (something that has been a struggle since I started my 30s for some reason). I took a full dropper full, as indicated on the label, and it sort of made me....quiet? I'm normally a chatterbox and I have ADHD that I don't usually medicate, so it was kind of weird to just be perfectly content sitting on the sofa, watching Netflix without my normal stream of commentary or fidgeting. DH asked me if I was okay a few times ("You're so quiet, what's wrong?", so I know it wasn't just in my head, haha!

That being said, it did NOT help with my sleep pattern, but I did notice that I wasn't as sore from the leg workout I did the night before. Those usually make me walk like a little old lady for about 1-2 days afterward.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna