• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hemp Oil and other CBD/THC/Marijuana Products

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought some CBD oil from a friend selling it under a multi-level marketing type of program. I haven't used it personally yet--smell and taste are foul. I've used it topically on my Mom's arthritic knee, no results but perhaps it takes longer to get a result.

Yet the topic keeps coming up--these products might be helpful for delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS*), nerves, anxiety, etc. There are a variety of products and strains available; seems like some are very specific in function/use/benefit. Now that these products are easy and legal to obtain in California, and a number of other states, I feel the need to research what products might be of use for hospice patients and/or dementia patients.

If you have any information, or questions, please share a link or an experience.
*DOMS and CBD products came up in this thread: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...g-do-you-stay-sore-for-after-a-workout.23313/

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'd like to hear more about this in general and for DOMS specifically now that things are becoming easier to get in MA as well.

@VickiK are you just rubbing the oil on your mom, or is it a lotion/cream/gel etc.? Just curious because as in pharmaceuticals, getting the active ingredient through the skin barrier can be the hardest part and the vehicle it's in to do this can make all of the difference in permeation. If you are just rubbing oil on the skin, it could be just sitting on the surface instead of penetrating. I know absolutely nothing about these products yet though, so I'm not positive how people are using them.

Jilly

Staff member
As one of my co-workers was dying of cancer he was using the oil. They would put a drop under his tongue. This was for pain. At that time you had to obtain it illegally from the Indian reserve down the road from town.

Canada made it legal, but it's hard to get as "stores" must be licensed and in Ontario none will be till April 2019.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I bought some CBD oil from a friend selling it under a multi-level marketing type of program. I haven't used it personally yet--smell and taste are foul.
Oh my. The homemade stuff I got (what a great gift!!) is absolutely lovely. I don't "taste" it - it's topical. But wow, does it ever work well (for me, anyway).

Keep looking around. There have to be many variants. This is a cream-based deal. I should take a pic of it. It's in a Gerber's baby food jar. Ha. :smile:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Homemade stuff I got is mixed with peppermint oil, which does a much better job of covering the skunkiness than the lavender oil did.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got some oil for anxiety that you ingest. It did nothing. Zero, nada, zilch. (See the menopause thread--estradiol is working much better!!)

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've done the CBD oil for pain and it really helped with quelling a migrane. it had peppermint added and not too unpleasant. My recent find is first time using in a salve..

newboots

Angel Diva
I’m a psychologist, and moved to Vermont a little over a year ago from Massachusetts. Maybe this is true back in Massachusetts, too, but CBD oil is everywhere around here, and an astonishing number of my clients are using it. It’s ironic; many are people who wouldn’t dream of taking any psychotropic medications, but take CBD oil without a second thought.

I have my own skepticism about Western medicine, but given the ban on research on the medical uses of marijuana that has been policy for so long, it seems that we have very limited scientific knowledge about the effects mof CBD oil. I have seen studies about its use in epilepsy, MS, and neuropathic pain. But the claims one hears about this (anxiety! Insomnia! Restless leg syndrome! Depression! Psychosis!) seem way out of proportion to what is actually known. And almost nothing is known about its effects when combined with other medications. Yet folks think it’s safe because it’s “natural.”

I’m a grumpy old stickler for the scientific method.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, it's everywhere in Vermont, including in the iced coffee we sell at the bike park.
I've tried both CBD oil and regular old weed for restless leg syndrome and neither did a danged thing. Now I take medicine that's primarily designed to treat symptoms of Parkinson's Disease. Works wonderfully.

CBD oil under the tongue leaves a horrible taste. Ugh.

Christy

Angel Diva
I've given it to my dog. It seems to take the edge off in extra stressful situations, but it's not a miracle by any means. Trazodone works better. I've tried it myself just because I thought I should if I was going to experiment on my dog. The regular recommended dose, which was a recommendation by the lady that sold it, did nothing. So I took another dose. That made me feel tired in a heavy dull kind of way, like when you drank too much and had a fun evening but after the fun wears off.

I know tons of dog owners that are using it but the problem of no quality control and no scientific studies is real. One person I know who's really into it says there's a huge variation in the quality out there, because of course no one is setting any standards for it.

I agree the claims for what it does seem out of control.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm interested to see about Quality Control, strength of dosage and all that with our new laws. The old scientist in me wonders about that. Standardization I guess is what I'm looking for. Like newboots, I'm not a firm believer in western medicine. And a lot of our medicines come from ancient wisdom.

There is a lot of construction going on locally for manufacturing and growing the products. Money doesn't seem to be problem either.

I myself have not tried anything, but that day may come.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought some CBD oil from a friend selling it under a multi-level marketing type of program. I haven't used it personally yet--smell and taste are foul. I've used it topically on my Mom's arthritic knee, no results but perhaps it takes longer to get a result.

Yet the topic keeps coming up--these products might be helpful for delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS*), nerves, anxiety, etc. There are a variety of products and strains available; seems like some are very specific in function/use/benefit. Now that these products are easy and legal to obtain in California, and a number of other states, I feel the need to research what products might be of use for hospice patients and/or dementia patients.

If you have any information, or questions, please share a link or an experience.
*DOMS and CBD products came up in this thread: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...g-do-you-stay-sore-for-after-a-workout.23313/

The products are not regulated. I would be VERY cautious in using them - particularly those that are ingested. We discussed this on a conference call yesterday re employer drug testing. The products will show up in a drug test, so keep that in mind as well if random testing is an issue.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The products are not regulated. I would be VERY cautious in using them - particularly those that are ingested. We discussed this on a conference call yesterday re employer drug testing. The products will show up in a drug test, so keep that in mind as well if random testing is an issue.

I believe only THC products show up in blood tests...?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
...I've tried it myself just because I thought I should if I was going to experiment on my dog....there's a huge variation in the quality out there, because of course no one is setting any standards for it.
@Christy I love the approach you took for the dog.

I have been on www.leafly.com to get info. It's a cannabis Wiki. The number of variation and products is amazing.

CBD products may or may not have THC. The term doesn't separate them clearly. Indiva strain gives a mellow high, Sativa strain gives a more wired high, and then there are hybrids.

It's fascinating but kinda scary. I'm concerned about quality control too. Maybe I'll just focus on the topical creams for arthritis. I was just rubbing the oil on my Mom's knee. To be honest, I'm not clear in my head about what it is I'm looking for--relief for her specific knee arthritis, general relief for her, or comfort for myself. Or all of those.

mustski

Angel Diva
My FIL swears that cannabis is a miracle drug that takes away his back pain, indigestion, and headaches. He primarily smokes it and says that indica will help with anxiety, pain etc whereas sativa (and hybrids) will amplify anxiety and pain. I tried it a couple of times (smoking it) for hip pain and insomnia and it didn’t help either though it was a nice mellow high. I have tried the topicals and they work quite well but they are VERY expensive. I am toying with making my own. It seems that a lot of the senior crew at the dog park are quite knowledgeable about home brews. They cook it in the crock pot in coconut oil. The trick is to grind the weed as fine as flour and cook it for 12 hours. I just forgot to ask how much of oil and how much of weed. They all say that weed with THC work better than CBD

Jenny

Angel Diva
The articles I’ve been reading talk about how the plant can pull in toxins and pesticides and such so it's important to know the source. Then they mention the extraction technique. Some of the same things that are brought up when talking about vitamins/supplements, especially in relation to knowing what’s in there and at what strengths, and if the labeling is true as to what's in the bottle.

All in all, I’d like to buy from a reputable brand/source, IF the stuff works. And since I know nothing about the sources I’m reading from on the internet, I just kind of keep looking for multiple sources that list the same concerns/checklists, pros/cons, etc.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
They cook it in the crock pot in coconut oil. The trick is to grind the weed as fine as flour and cook it for 12 hours. I just forgot to ask how much of oil and how much of weed. They all say that weed with THC work better than CBD
This is, I believe, what our friends do. I don't have their recipe, either.

@Jenny - we have our own reliable source of avoiding pesticides and toxins: it's LEGAL to grow here in Maine - in legal quantities, of course. :wink:
There are currently 3 adults in our household right now, which entitles us to grow 9 flowering female plants.

newboots

Angel Diva
@Jenny - if you’re looking for primary sources online try scholar.google.com

They don’t index everything but it is definitely a good sample if you don’t have access to scientific databases.

Jenny

Angel Diva
This is, I believe, what our friends do. I don't have their recipe, either.

@Jenny - we have our own reliable source of avoiding pesticides and toxins: it's LEGAL to grow here in Maine - in legal quantities, of course. :wink:
There are currently 3 adults in our household right now, which entitles us to grow 9 flowering female plants.
It's legal here in Michigan now, too, as of December 6th. I think we can each grow 12, which sounds like a lot to me, but it’s a part of life that passed me by. I think somehow we’re supposed to keep them hidden, too. Not too sure of the details of the law, although right now you can possess but it’s still not legal to sell. They have a few details to work out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna