• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help with Ski Choice

lsbeach

Diva in Training
I am looking for new skis and can't decide. I've tried to read as many strands here as I could find. I'm 5'3, 112 lbs. I'm currently on some old Norticas, stiff and a little long (160). I have demoed the Black Pearl 88(Blue ones) in a 153 length and a pair of K2 Mindbender TI 89 in a 158. I think I liked the K2's better but I can't figure out why. It seems that the Santa Ana skis are a favorite here. I'm not sure that I would know or feel the difference in any of them. I do know that they all turn so much easier than my current skis. I'm also not sure which length is best for me.
I'm an intermediate to advanced skier but I prefer the steep groomers. Any suggestions?

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am looking for new skis and can't decide. I've tried to read as many strands here as I could find. I'm 5'3, 112 lbs. I'm currently on some old Norticas, stiff and a little long (160). I have demoed the Black Pearl 88(Blue ones) in a 153 length and a pair of K2 Mindbender TI 89 in a 158. I think I liked the K2's better but I can't figure out why. It seems that the Santa Ana skis are a favorite here. I'm not sure that I would know or feel the difference in any of them. I do know that they all turn so much easier than my current skis. I'm also not sure which length is best for me.
I'm an intermediate to advanced skier but I prefer the steep groomers. Any suggestions?
I'm no expert, but I don't think you need to justify why you like what you like after demoing them both. The only thing I could perhaps point to is you being more at home on longer vs shorter skis. A good resource if you want to compare numbers is soothski.com where you can compare different skis in different lengths based on values such as weight, sidecut radius, etc, but I'd caution you to keep in mind that numbers are just numbers. What matters most is how you feel after you've demoed the ski.

If you click the soothski.com link, I've compared the two you tried. Since you seem to still be looking for options, you could try using the numbers and finding another ski that has similar values to open up more options. If you hover over the info icons by the terms, they can tell you what those numbers should influence. It may be of limited value though if you can't say why you like the TI 89 better.

Good luck!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you can feel the difference from what you have already said! The Mindbender 89Ti to me are a lot more "forgiving" "pivoty" and "pop" more than the Black Pearl 88, but I think they are more all-mountain than groomer biased as on proper solid hardpack I did not like them as much. This may not be an issue for you based on where you ski though!! The effective edge length of the 89Ti looks to be shorter on the comparison so you may find with more rockered skis your "ski length" is not much different on paper to your current skis. They don't need you to be driving them, they don't feel nearly as stiff, and I think they are easier to turn and get air on. If you liked the Mindbenders then I think it is worth trying other skis in similar widths - Volkl Kenja 88, Nordica Santa Ana 88 and maybe Rossi Experience 88 as well - they are, in a way, "variations on a theme" but enough difference between them that I think you will either find something you love or at least know what you don't like! Given you are coming from a longer ski but like the easier turning I would stay in the 150s lengths.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you can feel the difference from what you have already said! The Mindbender 89Ti to me are a lot more "forgiving" "pivoty" and "pop" more than the Black Pearl 88, but I think they are more all-mountain than groomer biased as on proper solid hardpack I did not like them as much. This may not be an issue for you based on where you ski though!! The effective edge length of the 89Ti looks to be shorter on the comparison so you may find with more rockered skis your "ski length" is not much different on paper to your current skis. They don't need you to be driving them, they don't feel nearly as stiff, and I think they are easier to turn and get air on. If you liked the Mindbenders then I think it is worth trying other skis in similar widths - Volkl Kenja 88, Nordica Santa Ana 88 and maybe Rossi Experience 88 as well - they are, in a way, "variations on a theme" but enough difference between them that I think you will either find something you love or at least know what you don't like! Given you are coming from a longer ski but like the easier turning I would stay in the 150s lengths.
Oo, I love these reqs, particularly the Kenja. I've seen the Mindbender 89 '23 also compared to the Sheeva 9, though I know Blizzard is making some changes to the Sheeva for 2024. Maybe another to demo if possible @lsbeach

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna