• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed - All-mountain (90-95) Ski Advice

Polly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi fellow New Hampshirite! I ski at Loon, but used to ski near your neck of the woods at Crotched! I just really started adding to my quiver this season, but I consider my mid-fat Line Pandora 95s (I've had the 17s and now I have the 18s) as my tried and true all mountain ski. They schmear well, they cut through crud, and they *can* hold an edge. I only say *can* with asterisks because as I've added to the quiver...I've gotten better skis. The two skis I've added this year: Black Crows Vertis Birdie (87, on-piste kick-a$$ groomer ski) and the Black Crows Atris Birdie (108, my new powder hounds/AT ski). I skied the Atris this past weekend at Ragged and WOW I am impressed with their ability to hold an edge. Granted I don't push these to the speeds I would as the Vertis or Pandora, but they really held their edge well...dare I say, better than the Pandora. I've found at higher speeds on hardpack on my Lines, I'll have edge slip out just a tad here and there.

That said, I can't speak for this years Pandora. I ski on 152, and their smallest size is in the high 150s now (so you would be fine). They also changed the width to 94, and they took out one of the wood cores and it's all one type of wood (I think aspen). So, it ends up being more of a "floppier" ski in my opinion, and won't quite hold up well to the "abuse" you put them through.

I know you're interested in the Santa Anas. I see those all over the mountain...so they must be good, right?! You should also see if you can find a shop that has any Black Crows (sorry, shameless plug, I LOVE MINE!). The Captis and Camox Birdies are more of an all mountain feel. The Captis is 90 underfoot and the Camox is 97 underfoot. I haven't skied the Camox yet, but with how I feel about my Vertis and Atris...I'm positive my next all mountain ski will be the Camox.
I really want to try the Camox! It's somewhat in my lineup but I didn't consider it /too/ much. Perhaps I should! Many have recommended the Line Pandora as well to me, but for some reason I don't have the impression that it'll have the strong edgehold and potential speed (once I am ready!) that I am seeking. I feel it's more park, or even powder, which I'd consider it for- or a fun bust out on a deep day and play ski. Needless to say, I may end up with many pairs of sticks! I'm definitely seeking an all-mountain ski that will drive me through hardpack and have in powder and ski the hell out of bumps/moguls as I am starting to develop a love of them (sickening, I know. Don't ask, haha, I have no idea why I feel this way) and skis that will also enable me to learn the trees. Needless to say, stability at speed with an insane edge hold while being dampening in crud and chop as they maintain some playfulness with metal in them is what I am truly seeking. What I am really considering is (and that Camox is added now):

- Volkl Secret
- Santa Ana 93
- Camox Birdie
- Blizzard Rustler 9 (I don't care that they're mens)

Polly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Polly , @MissySki and I both have the Sheeva 9 and are New England skiers (NH, VT, ME), Like missyski, I also took mine to Diva West in Aspen, but they are my daily driver back home too. So far they are super at everything - yes you can find skis that are more concrete worthy but these really do everything well and make me smile while doing it.

Thank you for that review! They seem like great skis for sure. I should try to demo them, but like the darn Santa Anas it's nearly impossible to find a demo pair :( Are they stable on crud and hardpack?? I really want a FIRM edgehold but powder capable.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am somewhat interested in that ski vs. Volkl Secret vs. Santa Ana 93- I am east coast, NH so it needs to stand up to ice and hardpack. And crud from the majorly ski'd out HEAVY/dense pow days we do get...very curious how it does in those conditions...any thoughts?

I’m not a Volkl fan, so there is some bias here.. I found the Secret really boring, but IF you like a damper ski versus a more lively ski you could have the opposite reaction between Volkl and Blizzard. I have liked the Sheeva in everything I’ve brought it in so far, including east coast ice, I think they do a really good job there. However, I don’t feel they dampen crud like you are describing you’d like a ski to do. Have not tried the current Santa Ana 93 so I can’t add that to the comparison. I had tried the original Santa Ana 93 without metal and liked them a lot a few years ago. I can also plug the Black Crows.. I have the Camox Birdie as my east coast “powder ski”. Had it out Monday, but only in a few inches of untracked and crud and it just goes through everything, so much fun! Much different feel than the Sheeva, but I haven’t had it on ice since I only really plan to bring it out in fresher snow days while using the Sheevas for most everything else.

There is a women’s ski day at Sunapee coming up on March 12.. they are going to have demos and one of the sponsors for the event is Nordica I believe so I wonder if they will have their skis in the demo and therefore the Santa Anas. Might be worth contacting them and seeing what you can find out if that day would be an option.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Thank you for that review! They seem like great skis for sure. I should try to demo them, but like the darn Santa Anas it's nearly impossible to find a demo pair :( Are they stable on crud and hardpack?? I really want a FIRM edgehold but powder capable.
@MissySki and I like the same sort of skis. Like she mentioned if you want a damper ski you may prefer the Nordica Santa Ana 93 or the Volkl Secret. I did not dislike the Secret but I found it too dull for my taste. I like the new Santa Ana 93 but I have a bit of a length issue with Nordica especially with all that rocker - 169 feels short but 177 is lengthy. I own the pre-metal Santa Ana 100 177 and love it but with metal it would be a lot of ski (5’9”/140ish). For this Goldilocks the Sheeva 9 172 was just right.

Polly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki and I like the same sort of skis. Like she mentioned if you want a damper ski you may prefer the Nordica Santa Ana 93 or the Volkl Secret. I did not dislike the Secret but I found it too dull for my taste. I like the new Santa Ana 93 but I have a bit of a length issue with Nordica especially with all that rocker - 169 feels short but 177 is lengthy. I own the pre-metal Santa Ana 100 177 and love it but with metal it would be a lot of ski (5’9”/140ish). For this Goldilocks the Sheeva 9 172 was just right.
Yeah I absolutely loved the Volkl Secret. I have heard either one loves, or hates Volkl, haha. I happen to love them! I learned on Yumis. I really need to demo the Nordica, I am a bit nervous about the 169 but if they ski short due to the rocker then I'll be OK. The 177 is far too long for me at this point! Was the Santa Ana "poppy" and playful at all? I would imagine potentially more so than the Volkl? I am curious what the real differences between the Secret and the Nordica are in your experience.

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really want to try the Camox! It's somewhat in my lineup but I didn't consider it /too/ much. Perhaps I should! Many have recommended the Line Pandora as well to me, but for some reason I don't have the impression that it'll have the strong edgehold and potential speed (once I am ready!) that I am seeking. I feel it's more park, or even powder, which I'd consider it for- or a fun bust out on a deep day and play ski. Needless to say, I may end up with many pairs of sticks! I'm definitely seeking an all-mountain ski that will drive me through hardpack and have in powder and ski the hell out of bumps/moguls as I am starting to develop a love of them (sickening, I know. Don't ask, haha, I have no idea why I feel this way) and skis that will also enable me to learn the trees. Needless to say, stability at speed with an insane edge hold while being dampening in crud and chop as they maintain some playfulness with metal in them is what I am truly seeking. What I am really considering is (and that Camox is added now):

- Volkl Secret
- Santa Ana 93
- Camox Birdie
- Blizzard Rustler 9 (I don't care that they're mens)

I would shy away from the Pandora, in that case. I've found that while it's such a fun ski, it probably wouldn't have the edge hold that you are seeking. I definitely crush it on those skis, and I can go very fast on them (I think I've clocked over 40 mph), they do tend to slip out in dicey spots. Line definitely used to have that jibby park style, and I think a lot of people still think that. I think a lot of places are going to be selling out of a lot of stuff for this year...but you might be able to demo some stuff. My local shop has the Secrets. They carry some Nordica but I don't think they have the Santa Ana...I can take a peek next time I am there!

Another ski that just came to mind...Elan Ripsticks. I don't think they have metal in them, but my friend demoed the 95s (she got the 86s (I think that's the width)) from Rogers in Lincoln, NH, and she was RAVING about them. She said they were so light but still so crushable in the turns. Might be worth looking into!

MissySki

Angel Diva
@lisamamot has the RipSticks. I think she likes the Sheevas better for hardpack between the two, but not sure as she definitely loves both overall! Perhaps she can add some info to the list going though for comparisons.

Polly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would shy away from the Pandora, in that case. I've found that while it's such a fun ski, it probably wouldn't have the edge hold that you are seeking. I definitely crush it on those skis, and I can go very fast on them (I think I've clocked over 40 mph), they do tend to slip out in dicey spots. Line definitely used to have that jibby park style, and I think a lot of people still think that. I think a lot of places are going to be selling out of a lot of stuff for this year...but you might be able to demo some stuff. My local shop has the Secrets. They carry some Nordica but I don't think they have the Santa Ana...I can take a peek next time I am there!

Another ski that just came to mind...Elan Ripsticks. I don't think they have metal in them, but my friend demoed the 95s (she got the 86s (I think that's the width)) from Rogers in Lincoln, NH, and she was RAVING about them. She said they were so light but still so crushable in the turns. Might be worth looking into!
Thanks for the reply! I finally got to demo the Santa Ana 93 on Friday and took those Volkl Secrets out for a 3rd time...I came home with the Volkls! It was kind of a tough choice, but kind of easy as well. In short, the Nordicas were freaking AMAZING, but almost too easy to get on edge and I found them a little more forgiving. I looked like a better skier than I am! Haha so I chose what spoke to me more and what provided a bigger “growth” opportunity. Those Secrets scared me, but I ripped on them and instantly fell in love haha.

I would def demo’d those Ripsticks if they had them, but I have heard they’re not as versatile.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I would def demo’d those Ripsticks if they had them, but I have heard they’re not as versatile.

The Ripstick 94W are a blast; light and surfy and turn in an instant. They may not appeal to you based on your loving the Secret. I am hoping to put a hybrid binding on my Ripstick and try them out as s backcountry ski. For a NE daily driver for me, no question - the Sheeva 9 wins.

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I ski a wider version of the Pandora (110mm) and while edge hold on ice isn't fantastic, I think it's pretty decent for such a wide ski. If the snow is good, they have a high upper speed limit. Got around 55 mph on the EU equivalent of a blue groomer in Les Arcs in February so you can definitely charge when conditions allow for it. In variable conditions I ski faster and more aggressively on my Auras, but those are a lot less forgiving if your posture isn't as it should be and will take you for a ride.

The Pandoras really encourage me to be more forward on my skis without punishing me when I get sloppy, if that makes sense. Once you find the sweet spot, they're so much fun. Feels like dancing on the mountain.

That being said... I may or may not be interested in the same width category so I'm keeping an eye on this topic :becky: So triggered by all the raving reviews of the SA 93!

I would add the Head Kore 93 and the Salomon QST 99 to your list of skis to try. Maybe one of the new K2 mindbenders if you can find them?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
if you have the $$ Renoun Z-90's have become my 1 ski quiver, from ice to a foot of snow they have done everything I asked them to do. I do have Look Pivot 12's on the so they are playful yet can stiffen right up on ice or for cruising..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly