• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed - All-mountain (90-95) Ski Advice

LovetoSki13

Diva in Training
Hi everyone! I've been reading this blog since 2010 and am excited to become an active contributing member and look forward to your advice and help.

5'4" 120 lbs aggressive skier

I currently have a pair of 2011 Volkl Tierras (78 underfoot, 154 length) and I absolutely love them. They are stable at high speed, hold an edge and are responsive. However, as much as I love a good groomer, I have started skiing a lot more bumps and tree runs (and powder if I'm lucky). I am looking for a secondary ski that is more of an all-mountain ski that will float better in the powder but also be quick, responsive, and a bit lighter for bumps and trees while still holding a decent edge

I am thinking I want a ski between 90-95 underfoot. I demo'd the Blizzard BP 98 and felt they didn't hold up to how aggressive I was skiing and felt the skis slipped more than I would have liked while turning. I also think I want something that will go edge to edge a bit faster but did appreciate how they floated a bit more in deep snow and was lighter on the moguls.

I would really appreciate any suggestions or feedback from fellow ski divas. Winter is my favorite time of the year and I can't wait to get out there and demo.

Ski Considerations:
Nordica Santa Ana
Black Crows (not sure which)
Armada (maybe the Trace)
DPS Nina A99 Alchemist
Volkl Secret or Kenja

Thank you!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! Are you planning to demo before making a decision? What region do you ski in the most?

I happen to like the BP88, but wouldn't consider the BP98 as "all-mountain." As a petite older skier, it's more of a powder ski that I would only rent when there is more than 8 inches of fresh powder. But then I also consider the Nina A99 as a powder ski. My all-mountain skis are mid-80s underfoot. They are pricey though because they are the Stöckli Stormrider 85.

My narrow skis for mid-Atlantic and northeast skiing are 78mm.

LovetoSki13

Diva in Training
Thank you! I am planning to demo before making a decision. I normally ski in the rockies (Utah, Colorado, etc).

That is a fair point. I think I'm struggling between wanting something a bit wider underfoot then my current skis but also understand the chance I hit 8 inches of fresh powder is rare so 98 might be a bit too much.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, @LovetoSki13 , and welcome to the site!

Your post struck a chord with me. I had -- and loved -- the Volkl Tierra. A fantastic firm snow groomer ski. I have the Santa Ana 93's now, have skied the Volkl Secret, and just finished demoing the Black Crows Camox Birdie. Each is a good ski; the Santa Ana and the Secret are a bit stiffer than the Crows, but they're still great in all sorts of conditions. It just depends on the feel you're looking for. Coming off the Tierra, I think you'd probably love the Secret. The Camox Birdie is 97 underfoot, but still fine on groomers. It's a bit softer and more playful, too. And the Nordica falls between the two.

Have fun demoing, and let us know what you choose!

Jilly

Staff member
I'd like to throw out to add the Atomic Vantage series. Not the Vantage X, the Vantage. I have 95C for just what you are stating. They changed it this year to the 97C.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I have the Atomic Vantage 95C as well, 170.
(5'5/125)
How about the deal on them that was mentioned in another thread?
https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/atomic-vantage-95-c-w-womens
Wow. Killer deal.
GREAT ski. Might check all your boxes. And they CAN and WILL ski hard surfaces, if necessary. Soft enough flex for bumps, etc. Available in 162.

LovetoSki13

Diva in Training
Thank you all so much for the insights and suggestions. I am hoping to demo a few of these this weekend and will report back! Really appreciate everyones time : )

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Will be curious to hear what you tried, thought, and what you wind up with. Good luck!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demoed the Secrets for two days at Targhee last weekend, in a mixed bag of soft snow, including a foot of untracked. They were WAY better in untracked powder than I thought they would be. Awesome in the crud leftovers, awesome on groomers, so awesome, I bought a pair. They are fast and quite stiff, yet still very maneuverable. They definitely require a decent skill set--they let me know when I get too far back with my COM.

Haven't skied the others, except the Blizzard Sheeva 9s, which are more playful and zippy and fun, but I don't like them as much in untracked powder. I'm selling mine, which are brand new. I'm also selling some Sheeva 10s. Both pair are barely skied. I found the 10s skied shorter than I want, while the 9s ski truer to length.

Have fun demoing!

lucy

Angel Diva
DPS Nina A99 Alchemist
Volkl Secret or Kenja
I'm similar to your height and weight and I ski Utah. I have the DPS Zelda, 106 waist, for powder but I was disappointed with the lack of responsiveness. And I have the Volkl Kenja. It strikes a nice balance between off piste adventure and carving a skiied off groomer. They are soft enough to take a mogul run without hesitation. Not the best powder ski, they float in a few inches but a foot or more and you're going to want something fatter. Yay for new skis!!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to ski Volkl Kenja and Aura but decided to demo last month for new skis. Volkl Secret was on the top of the list but they were a disappointment. Ended up demo-ing Kastle out of curiosity and found THE ONE. Well, more like two. Tried the HP95 - they were great on moguls and trees, but terrible carving on groomed. Moved on to the MX89 and fell in love instantly. I didn't know I could have that much fun on the mountain! Purchased them immediately and a week later, my husband surprised me with a pair of MX Limited (84mm) for my birthday - prettiest skis ever! Love them both BUT they are too stiff for bumps, so last week I demoed the Stockli Laser AX (78mm) for my race clinic and found them to be very nimble on bumps and quite damp for groomed, so they are now my "all-mountain" skis!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I loved my Blizzard Sheeva 9s this past week at Diva West in Aspen. They do everything quite well and they made me more confident in bumps and trees as well! I find it to be a really versatile ski! The only thing I haven’t skied it in is more than around 6 inches of untracked snow.

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
I just bought a pair of 161cm Santa Ana 93s while I was skiing in Solitude, Utah a few weeks ago. I loved the Santa Anas from the first run on! Skied them in knee deep powder, hard pack, soft crud, scraped (icy), and groomed (blue/black runs). Performed really well for me (advanced intermediate that will ski blue and black runs, off piste, pretty much anything that is NOT a mogul). I'm 5'5" and 125 lbs (depending on my daily cookie consumption during my ski trip).

The 2 sheets of metal gave me plenty of stiffness without any chatter at high speeds. The early tip rise kept me from getting in trouble in crud and powder. I was able to flex them with little effort and to get them up on edge quickly for perfect control ripping high speed down groomed corduroy and packed, icy conditions (carved much better than I had expected). Powder flotation was awesome for a 93 underfoot, but also had no trouble getting them to turn quickly (almost effortlessly) and could bounce through the crud on them really well. Love the shorter turn radius. Put a pair of Atomic Warden bindings on them and am really happy. I would say that they are definitely an all mountain ski and I hope to ski them for several years.

I had a pair of brand new, never been skied before, 166 Blizzard BP 88s and didn't feel the love of an all mountain ski across multiple conditions. BP 88s didn't have the flotation I assumed they would have, but performed well on hard pack, icy, and groomed conditions well (they like speed). I didn't find them as responsive to my skiing style as expected (advanced intermediate that likes to also ski blacks unless they're moguls). Skis seemed to require more effort on my part than should have.

Last edited:

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd look at the Armada Victa 97 ti over the Trace. The Trace series was built with touring in mind, so it's a lot lighter and doesn't have nearly the same amount of guts if you like to push a ski hard.

Polly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just bought a pair of 161cm Santa Ana 93s while I was skiing in Solitude, Utah a few weeks ago. I loved the Santa Anas from the first run on! Skied them in knee deep powder, hard pack, soft crud, scraped (icy), and groomed (blue/black runs). Performed really well for me (advanced intermediate that will ski blue and black runs, off piste, pretty much anything that is NOT a mogul). I'm 5'5" and 125 lbs (depending on my daily cookie consumption during my ski trip).

The 2 sheets of metal gave me plenty of stiffness without any chatter at high speeds. The early tip rise kept me from getting in trouble in crud and powder. I was able to flex them with little effort and to get them up on edge quickly for perfect control ripping high speed down groomed corduroy and packed, icy conditions (carved much better than I had expected). Powder flotation was awesome for a 93 underfoot, but also had no trouble getting them to turn quickly (almost effortlessly) and could bounce through the crud on them really well. Love the shorter turn radius. Put a pair of Atomic Warden bindings on them and am really happy. I would say that they are definitely an all mountain ski and I hope to ski them for several years.

I had a pair of brand new, never been skied before, 166 Blizzard BP 88s and didn't feel the love of an all mountain ski across multiple conditions. BP 88s didn't have the flotation I assumed they would have, but performed well on hard pack, icy, and groomed conditions well (they like speed). I didn't find them as responsive to my skiing style as expected (advanced intermediate that likes to also ski blacks unless they're moguls). Skis seemed to require more effort on my part than should have.

I just picked up a pair of BP88 from FB Marketplace (middle of woods, NH) for a mere $200! ha! Wasn't interested in them previously, but for that price, OK. LOVE THEM, but they're a 159cm, ideally, I want to be in a 163cm ski-ish; however, yeah, same review here. I was reading how amazing they were as an all mountain ski- and while they've helped me in many ways- 8" chop was a MESS. Couldn't do it. So powder? Skipping that one. May keep for bumps, etc. but am looking into the Santa Ana 93 (if I can demo it ever!) and the Volkl Secret which whooped my butt and scared me, but I liked it and I've demo'd it in extreme east coast conditions thus far...

Polly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I loved my Blizzard Sheeva 9s this past week at Diva West in Aspen. They do everything quite well and they made me more confident in bumps and trees as well! I find it to be a really versatile ski! The only thing I haven’t skied it in is more than around 6 inches of untracked snow.

I am somewhat interested in that ski vs. Volkl Secret vs. Santa Ana 93- I am east coast, NH so it needs to stand up to ice and hardpack. And crud from the majorly ski'd out HEAVY/dense pow days we do get...very curious how it does in those conditions...any thoughts?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@Polly , @MissySki and I both have the Sheeva 9 and are New England skiers (NH, VT, ME), Like missyski, I also took mine to Diva West in Aspen, but they are my daily driver back home too. So far they are super at everything - yes you can find skis that are more concrete worthy but these really do everything well and make me smile while doing it.

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi fellow New Hampshirite! I ski at Loon, but used to ski near your neck of the woods at Crotched! I just really started adding to my quiver this season, but I consider my mid-fat Line Pandora 95s (I've had the 17s and now I have the 18s) as my tried and true all mountain ski. They schmear well, they cut through crud, and they *can* hold an edge. I only say *can* with asterisks because as I've added to the quiver...I've gotten better skis. The two skis I've added this year: Black Crows Vertis Birdie (87, on-piste kick-a$$ groomer ski) and the Black Crows Atris Birdie (108, my new powder hounds/AT ski). I skied the Atris this past weekend at Ragged and WOW I am impressed with their ability to hold an edge. Granted I don't push these to the speeds I would as the Vertis or Pandora, but they really held their edge well...dare I say, better than the Pandora. I've found at higher speeds on hardpack on my Lines, I'll have edge slip out just a tad here and there.

That said, I can't speak for this years Pandora. I ski on 152, and their smallest size is in the high 150s now (so you would be fine). They also changed the width to 94, and they took out one of the wood cores and it's all one type of wood (I think aspen). So, it ends up being more of a "floppier" ski in my opinion, and won't quite hold up well to the "abuse" you put them through.

I know you're interested in the Santa Anas. I see those all over the mountain...so they must be good, right?! You should also see if you can find a shop that has any Black Crows (sorry, shameless plug, I LOVE MINE!). The Captis and Camox Birdies are more of an all mountain feel. The Captis is 90 underfoot and the Camox is 97 underfoot. I haven't skied the Camox yet, but with how I feel about my Vertis and Atris...I'm positive my next all mountain ski will be the Camox.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna