• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me understand binding DIN settings

CindiSue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started by wondering whether weight should be naked or fully geared up, and the more I read the more confused I get about DIN.

Many people here seem to ignore what the charts say and sign off on the DIN setting they want.
https://www.pugski.com/threads/din-setting-skier-weight-with-or-without-full-gear.11936
https://www.pugski.com/threads/the-numbers-game-bindings-part-2.8653/

My height is 5'6" which is skier type K, my weight is 116 which is skier type I. Instructions say to use the one higher up on the chart. So that would be an I. Then they say to go up another line if you are over 50. I am 55 so that would make me an H. I am a cautious skier but I'm getting more aggressive as I improve, so if I call myself a type II skier, that moves me back to an I. Add in my 275 BSL and I end up at about a DIN=4. But is this really correct? Based on what I'm reading it seems rare for women to use DIN's so low, especially for an advanced intermediate like I am. Or is that just because most women weigh more than I?

I also don't understand what it means to "test" the binding at the ski shop. Can someone explain what they do other than just set the DIN? Do they just grab the boot and twist it to see if it releases, or do they use some equipment to see how much pressure is needed to release it?

Lastly, it appears that different bindings have slightly different DIN charts... but I've never seen a ski shop pull out a binding specific chart. Do they have these in their computer and actually check them or just use a generic chart?

Thanks!

Last edited:

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know what formula they use to calculate DIN, but if 4 is what you come out to on the chart, I'd trust it until you are proven otherwise (ski comes off too easily/for no apparent reason).

When they test the binding they use a machine and it tests whether the binding releases at the DIN it's set for. So if you are are set at DIN 4, the machine will test if the binding actually releases at that setting. If it does not, they can adjust the binding spring up/down in number until it releases at the correct pressure.

I'm sure others can explain it better than I, but that's it in a nutshell.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I also don't understand what it means to "test" the binding at the ski shop. Can someone explain what they do other than just set the DIN? Do they just grab the boot and twist it to see if it releases, or do they use some equipment to see how much pressure is needed to release it?
Testing a binding in a ski shop involves a machine that applies pressure until the binding pops. There is a "pole" that is put into the boot. There is more than one type of binding test machine. The fancy version has lot of electronics and I presume a database of settings for each brand/model of binding. @lisamamot and I got to watch as her bindings were tested at Bridger last season. The simpler version involves more of a manual process. That's what my home resort's ski shop has. First time I saw someone use that type was at a small shop in Lincoln near Loon several years ago.

Supposed to get bindings checked every season.

CindiSue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Testing a binding in a ski shop involves a machine that applies pressure until the binding pops.
Thanks. They don't do that when you rent/demo skis, so do they just need to test the bindings once in a while and then they work across various DIN ranges for different skiers?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thanks, but I don't know what you mean. You mean have them test that it is set to a 4 after it is set? Or somehow test that it is the right number for me?
Test that it is the right number for you. Actually, you could check yourself and see if it's too easy to get out of the binding - others may disagree BUT I have had my bindings set at 4 in the past and popped out of them while skiing ! Now that is dangerous.
I am 5'1 103 ish over 60 and like mine at 4.5. So I usually sign a liability release form. I'm not suggesting this for you at all - just surprised that yours are set at 4.

CindiSue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Test that it is the right number for you. Actually, you could check yourself and see if it's too easy to get out of the binding - others may disagree BUT I have had my bindings set at 4 in the past and popped out of them while skiing ! Now that is dangerous.
I am 5'1 103 ish over 60 and like mine at 4.5. So I usually sign a liability release form. I'm not suggesting this for you at all - just surprised that yours are set at 4.
Thanks. These will be for new skis I just bought, and 4 is just what the table is telling me. I am not sure what my present ones are set at so it will be interesting to see once I pick them up from my locker.

So to check yourself, you just kind of twist your foot and see if you can get them to pop?

Several times I've had wipe outs and thought my skis should have come off, but then people pointed out that my legs weren't damaged so they probably shouldn't have.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@CindiSue are these new skis that you are getting the bindings set up on? You could always just go with whatever DIN you had before on the skis you've had or rented etc. Assuming your BSL has not changed, if you know what DIN works for you, just have them set it at that if you are uneasy about 4.

Edited--you just posted as I was replying!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks. These will be for new skis I just bought, and 4 is just what the table is telling me. I am not sure what my present ones are set at so it will be interesting to see once I pick them up from my locker.

So to check yourself, you just kind of twist your foot and see if you can get them to pop?

Several times I've had wipe outs and thought my skis should have come off, but then people pointed out that my legs weren't damaged so they probably shouldn't have.
What Type you were using for determining the DIN? Type 1 is the standard for a beginner. Most people are Type 2, which essentially means "average" in terms of how aggressively they ski regardless of whether they are advanced beginners, intermediates, or advanced. More aggressive advanced/expert skiers usually pick Type 3 or even 3+ is that's an option on a rental form.

Bindings only pop in certain types of falls. That's one reason people can get injured in some situations when the direction of the force means the binding isn't going to pop open. It's like a helmet in the sense that a helmet can only protect you in some situations but not all situations.

I'm an advanced, but not aggressive, older skier. I don't fall often. My binding pops even less often. It's actually reassuring when I have a fall relatively early in the season that is the type that pops the binding. Even after a binding test, there is always a slight question as to whether or not my bindings work as they should.

The only time I may increase the DIN setting is for a deep powder day with rental powder skis. That's because I've had the experience of popping off a ski when doing nothing but trying to cruise going straight through really deep snow on a flat. Retrieving a ski and getting it back on in deep snow is a pain. That day, I had the DIN increased by 1.

mustski

Angel Diva
Type 2 means someone who skis a variety of terrain at a variety of speeds with different levels of aggression. I am 5'2" -125lbs - type 2 skier - 60 yrs old - BSL 288 and my DIN is 4.5 and I have never pre-released. Unless I fall hard, the skis stay on. If your ski does not come off during regular skiing - in other words, they only come off if you fall - then the number is good.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

CindiSue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@CindiSue
I don't believe something magically happens when you turn 50 that requires you to lower your din by 1. But you may have used that in your calculation previously. ?

I was told that again this week at a different ski shop. That when you enter your age over 50 the software automatically deducts 1. He suggested I choose type III instead of type II to compensate for that.

I'm playing around on that software. I'm tricky because I'm right on the borderline of every category. Height is 5'6-5'10 and I'm 5'6. Weight changes at 126# and I'm right there. That makes a 1 DIN difference. Skier II or III makes a 1 DIN difference. And age over 50 makes a 1 DIN difference. So some minor tweaks in the choices and I can go from a 4 to a 6. But the most likely combinations are 5 or 6. Maybe in reality there's not much difference between a 5 and a 6. I am skiing much more aggressively this year so either is probably fine..

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
As you're learning the number that pops out of the DIN table is just the starting point. It's what a ski tech will set the DIN at when you rent skis unless you sign off on a different number. Whether that's the best choice is personal preference and can take a little experimentation.

I was at DIN 5 before I turned 50 when I selected Type II. So after age 50, I would select Type III. I've been working to improve technique for a while, and ski more challenging terrain now than 10-15 years ago. Only time I've pre-released after turning 50 was on a deep powder day (25+ inches). At lunch time I changed to wider skis and had the DIN set at 6. Putting skis back on in deep powder is complicated and can be pretty frustrating.

My Alta instructor has been teaching there for 20 years, and probably taught in the southeast for 15-20 years before that. He sets his DIN at 2 more than the table suggests. Needless to say, he's an expert skier with very good technique.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm tricky because I'm right on the borderline of every category. I am skiing much more aggressively this year so either is probably fine..

Yes and then when your boot sole length is also on the line that also adds another variable.

I just ran my numbers here http://www.mechanicsofsport.com/skiing/equipment/bindings/din-calculator.html

Using Age 50+ and Type 3+ skier OR Under 50 and Type 3 both came out the same.

So either lie about your age or your skill level to stay the same on the computer. Turning a certain age does not equate to a lower din, you said you are more aggressive this year so taking it down a notch would probably not be good imho and past experience.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly